Carry on luggage

Are you carrying gold ingots? 

This is a serious question...I understand people with medicine and fragile items (one of the reasons I have a backpack on boarding/disembarking days).  And I can understand 'kinda' on disembarking not wanting to have to go find your bag at the port (although I've never had a problem with that)....but I really don't understand carrying all your bags onto the boat and then being stuck lugging them around for a couple hours while waiting for your room?  My bags have never gone 'missing' between dropping them at the port and when the arrive at the room.  The biggest negative I've ever had was "gosh, even though its Dec I wish my bags where here so the kids could get into the pool" because I didn't realize they would have the solarium pools open for kids when it was cold in Baltimore and so it felt like it took a long time to get them to the room.

9 minutes ago, cole'snana said:

Usually drop off suitcases with porters at the ship.  This time we're taking carry on luggage only. Can you take them onboard yourself?

Yes, as long as they will fit through the security x-ray machine at the embarkation port. The size would be what the airports use. 

17 minutes ago, cole'snana said:

Usually drop off suitcases with porters at the ship.  This time we're taking carry on luggage only. Can you take them onboard yourself?

Yes.  We always travel with one carry on size bag and a back pack each and carry them on board ourselves.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

This is a serious question...I understand people with medicine and fragile items (one of the reasons I have a backpack on boarding/disembarking days).  And I can understand 'kinda' on disembarking not wanting to have to go find your bag at the port (although I've never had a problem with that)....but I really don't understand carrying all your bags onto the boat and then being stuck lugging them around for a couple hours while waiting for your room?  My bags have never gone 'missing' between dropping them at the port and when the arrive at the room.  The biggest negative I've ever had was "gosh, even though its Dec I wish my bags where here so the kids could get into the pool" because I didn't realize they would have the solarium pools open for kids when it was cold in Baltimore and so it felt like it took a long time to get them to the room.

OP stated they are bringing carry on luggage only. Carry on luggage is small so they won't have to lug heavy bags all over the ship. If they get to the ship after 1:00, they can carry their bags directly to their stateroom and unpack them. Then they won't have to wish they had their bathing suit, or a change of clothes for dinner, because all of their luggage will be unpacked in their stateroom and they will have everything they want..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dodgestang said:

OP asked a simple question, not for a long lecture on your luggage theories......

• Like 1

We are also planning to go carry on , i think if we leave our hotel around 11 and get to check in around 12 we should not have to much time hanging around till we can go in the cabin at 1 and drop luggage off before lunch. So i think it will work for us.

5 minutes ago, Saman said:

We are also planning to go carry on , i think if we leave our hotel around 11 and get to check in around 12 we should not have to much time hanging around till we can go in the cabin at 1 and drop luggage off before lunch. So i think it will work for us.

And if the cabins aren't ready and you don't want to explore the ship sit somewhere and enjoy a drink or two. Along with checked luggage we always have a small carry on each that has all our valuables and medications it them.

Edited by davekathy

21 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

OP asked a simple question, not for a long lecture on your luggage theories......

Actually I asked a question.....being relatively new to cruising I don't understand why someone would carry all their luggage around the ship, I thought maybe I was missing something and included in my question back my reasoning to help frame my point of view.  Sorry you missed that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dodgestang said:

This is a serious question...I understand people with medicine and fragile items (one of the reasons I have a backpack on boarding/disembarking days).  And I can understand 'kinda' on disembarking not wanting to have to go find your bag at the port (although I've never had a problem with that)....but I really don't understand carrying all your bags onto the boat and then being stuck lugging them around for a couple hours while waiting for your room?

Not everyone shows up at 10am and has to carry their luggage around for three hours, ya know.

Some people arrive after noon, check in, walk on the ship, and go right to their now-available stateroom.  They can be unpacked and napping before 2pm if they want!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dodgestang said:

Actually I asked a question.....being relatively new to cruising I don't understand why someone would carry all their luggage around the ship,

Some people wait to board when their cabin is ready so they don't have to take carry on bags anywhere but straight to the cabin.   Even if your bag doesn't get lost, it may not get delivered to your room until well after the muster drill, and some people prefer to have all their bags in the room early in the afternoon to unpack and get settled.

The answer to not having bathing suits is either:

1)  Pack a small carry on with electronics, meds, and bathing suits.

2)  Wear bathing suits under clothes when boarding.  After lunch, pop off outer clothes and take a dip before the cabins are ready.

While I see no point in carrying on all my luggage (ESPECIALLY the person who carried on 2 suitcases plus carry on size), I defend the right for you to do that if you want to. 😄

• Like 2

Ever since they lost my luggage on the last day I always carry my luggage off the ship answering the OP I have a carry on and I wish I could bring my luggage into the ship. Anything can go wrong when you leave your luggage with the potters any one can walk by and steal your luggage. 

Best part of doing carry on only is that it forces you to pack light. We’ve been traveling that way for about 20 years now, when we had luggage lost for over a week. 

So we also plan on arriving just about the time cabins open, much like others have posted. Spend a little time unpacking, and you are ready to go. 

I totally get that others don’t like doing that, but we will not stop until our heath degrades where we can’t deal with it. 

Edited by alfaeric

I can see the logic in carrying on your luggage but what I hate seeing is people dragging that luggage all over the ship. If you do carry on your luggage, please try to keep it out of the way. The suggestion to find a nice place to sit is a good one but please don’t make that place the windjammer. The windjammer gets crowded enough without people dragging their luggage also. Even worse when they decide to camp out at a table.

I travel a lot for work.  And typically have two checked bags.  So I am used to it.

In some 30 years of international travel, and the last 18 have been 40% of my time work travel, plus any personal, I have had luggage delayed maybe 5 times.  Most of those times, it arrives the next day.   I do cross pack, so if one bag does not show up, I am fine.  And I carry a spare shirt, underwear and pair of socks in my carry on, so I can even survive without my checked luggage.

Only once did my luggage take a week to catch up to me, and that was a long time ago, Africa to Africa with a connection.  Once one bag took 3 days.

I think the OP was looking for a simple answer...and that answer is, Yes...you can carry on your luggage.  

But as pointed out...your luggage must be able to fit into the Xray scanner at security, just like an airport.  Some have no problems traveling light enough to do it in just carry on bags.   

But don't expect to drag your huge bags on board...not going to happen.  

On 1/14/2019 at 9:59 AM, alfaeric said:

Best part of doing carry on only is that it forces you to pack light. We’ve been traveling that way for about 20 years now, when we had luggage lost for over a week. 

So we also plan on arriving just about the time cabins open, much like others have posted. Spend a little time unpacking, and you are ready to go. 

I totally get that others don’t like doing that, but we will not stop until our heath degrades where we can’t deal with it. 

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:48 PM, cole'snana said:

As others have outlined, yes you can as long as it fits through the x-ray machine used at security. The reason for my response is that there are 5 of us. Mom / Dad and 3 sons 15, 18 and 21 right now. We all have 1 suitcase each. The sons and wife have some other type of bag (gym or backpack). I carry the beach bag. We usually have one garment bag. We are veteran cruisers so we pack smart. But we disagree about rolling on the luggage. I roll my one bag onto the ship along with carrying the beach bag that has everyone's swimsuits and beach / pool shoes. They all check their luggage and carry on their "extra" bag.

I like being able to be unpacked after the cabins are opened. Personal preference even within our family. We find a single chair in the solarium, plop the beach bag and the one suitcase down and grab a quick bite returning to our stuff to hang by the pool.

19 hours ago, baileybrad said:

I like being able to be unpacked after the cabins are opened. Personal preference even within our family. We find a single chair in the solarium, plop the beach bag and the one suitcase down and grab a quick bite returning to our stuff to hang by the pool.

OMG, you admit to being a chair hog??? 😄 😄

Edited by SRF
  • Like 1