Edge Luminae New Menus - Now Serving Everyday Items!

vtcruising

On 1/16/2019 at 10:51 AM, jcpc said:

We know our waiter in Luminae from several past sailings and he knows nothing about their plans to add everyday items.

Yes. I asked the maitre’d Anita and the chef this exact question about everyday items on my Dec 9th sailing and was told that there were no plans on adding them. Anita did say that other guests had mentioned it too but they seemed pretty firm on their answer. I suppose things could change of course, especially since they seem to be going into damage control over this ship due to all the bad reviews and may be willing to change things now that they originally said no to.

I am confused by the initial post though from the OP which indicates that Edge has “new” Luminae menus. The menus posted look exactly the same as the ones I had on the inaugural cruise. I’ve attached two below as reference. Unless “new” was meant in comparison to the rest of the fleet, which we already knew they had been updated even since the Edge preview cruises.

B7620CAF-70E8-4AD8-8AC9-A1E27553A9BD.jpeg

FD5D9D40-9BC5-41A5-864E-54E36C2EE358.jpeg

2 hours ago, iSailor said:

Just my 2 cents.If someone pay so much more in the suite,the menus should be as good as the specialty restaurants if not better.

Come on wake up Celebrity.

One of the reasons we book suites is for access to Luminae. We have found the atmosphere, service, and food is consistently much better than the Specialty restaurants. Jm2c...

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Sure, I can see if I can get any info . 🙂

TY

I had seen a 14 day rotation of the menus from a 14 night sail the Preismans did... (different ship BUT it was 14 different menus I believe)

Wondering with the changes to Luminae if we will see changes to Blu as well

TYIA

Edited by Fogfog

These are the new menus for Luminae now (in that they are not the old menus that we are used to on the other X ships). I have no idea when they started using them.

Obviously I can't say that they will definitely have the everyday menu, but this is what I received. Of course things are changing rapidly on this ship, so might change again:

" Hi Marilyn,

Nice to hear from you,

Please see below:

I had a question about Luminae as we will be back on Jan 20th in a suite. We had talked about how the MDR menu would not be available on the Edge in Luminae and how they might add some everyday items since the menu is quite limited. Could you please let me know if that happened? This is correct. We recently reinstated option of our classic offerings( salmon, NY steak, chicken  breast, escargot, onion soup, shrimp cocktail)

Also, do you have the menus in an electronic file so that I can review them prior to the cruise? Below you`ll find menu rotation for all 7 days

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance

See you next week
At your service,
Lazar Brkic
Restaurant Operations Manager
Celebrity Cruises®| Celebrity Edge

9 hours ago, hcat said:

Are you going to try BLU ...at least for a breakfast?  

The  change I'd like to see  for BLU on EDGE is a glass partition of some type, sep it from the hallway/ lobby area.  Better than a gauzey curtain that may get dusty. I'll be asking about that on our cruise.

I will wander through at least - I'll talk to the AQ people in my roll call too and see how it's going. I know citruscruiser was happy with her experience a few weeks ago. 🙂

I had dinner last night with the Guest Relations Manager and the Assistant Hotel Director.  They confirmed that Miami has given them permission to add a second menu in Luminae.  They said it will be similar to the everyday items offered in the MDR but better.  They gave no date when this change will be made but I got the impression it will be very soon.  So perhaps it will be available on the January 20th sailing.

• Like 1

The maitre’ D in Luminae told me as of this cruise Jan 20 they will have an everyday selection in addition to the nightly menu.  The everyday items include shrimp cocktail, escargot and Caesar salad.  Also a chicken breast dish and a NY Strip dish.  They have not yet printed new menus.  I ordered the Caesar salad last night.

New printed menus are not necessary.  After all, Blu has been offering the three appetizers mentioned above for years without being listed on the menu.  

Waiters usually mention the available options the first night just in case you are new to Blu.

• 2 months later...

Is this really all the offer at the Luminae? Very disappointing at this prices. Glad they took the rockers away. Had an Aqua class cabin and it was already full of scratches from the rocker. I hope the Sky Suite will be not the next disappointment.

5 hours ago, Sailaway1706 said:

Is this really all the offer at the Luminae? Very disappointing at this prices. Glad they took the rockers away. Had an Aqua class cabin and it was already full of scratches from the rocker. I hope the Sky Suite will be not the next disappointment.

The food is great in Luminae and if you have specific requests, they may be able to do it if you give them a heads up (day before).

You had a rocker in Aqua? They don’t come with a rocker usually, just the suites, though they are now gone in the Sky suites. They were very comfortable IMO and we will miss them, but all in all would rather have the coffee table.🙂

• Like 1

No room for a rocker in AQ IVs..where on earth would it go?  

Hopeful  that Luminae will  keep suite guests very happy..to avoid any surge in number of BLU  diners...Next few cruises we will not be AQ,  but plan to go back when we book  again on S Class

6 hours ago, hcat said:

No room for a rocker in AQ IVs..where on earth would it go?  

Hopeful  that Luminae will  keep suite guests very happy..to avoid any surge in number of BLU  diners...Next few cruises we will not be AQ,  but plan to go back when we book  again on S Class

Our last cruise in March was in a sky suite on the Edge. Celebrity did have the every night items in Luminae. They seemed to have the crème brûlée also. Dont worry, if and it is a big if. I book another Edge cruise it will not be in a suite and it will be longer than 7 days. I'm was not happy with Celebrity Suite Life on the Edge. One reason was that Luminae was to large. Blu looked a lot smaller. Maybe more people will book AquaClass instead of suites.

22 hours ago, Sailaway1706 said:

Why so negative going into your cruise? 

• Like 2

Others have described Luminae on the Edge as too large and noisy. It's funny, but I just didn't feel that way while there, though I did feel in certain sections that it felt more crowded. I looked at the specs to refresh my memory about the seating. The Edge Luminae seats 172, the Reflection Luminae 94, Eclipse 90, Millennium 54. I feel like the seats were generally further apart on S and M Class (see pictures below).

Looking at the footprint of Luminae on the Edge, it is similar to the Tuscan Grille on M Class - the Edge Luminae looks a little longer, but seems similar in that it is a long, rectangular room. It was divided up a bit, with a front section that looked quieter with only a few seats, but not divided like S Class, with good-sized front and back sections. I imagine that cut down on the noise, along with S Class Luminae having 75-80 less seats.

Our experience was generally great on the Edge in January, with the table for 4 we had for dinners and the window-side breakfasts and lunches usually, but a couple of times we were in the middle and it felt more like Blu, with people close by (usually not a bad thing). There were no large groups when we were there, which also probably made a difference. On the Eclipse and Reflection we sometimes ate at the same time as a couple of large groups in Luminae and it was too loud in there. I have to say on the Edge, we could always talk normally and be heard. Hearing that others found it loud, I guess we lucked out with our fellow diners, table locations and maybe timing.

When we were in Luminae on the Edge in Nov-Dec, seating times were a bit of a mess and service was awkward at times, but we were forgiving since these were the very first cruises on the Edge. In late January, we had Dusan as a waiter almost every time and, since he is someone who has been on X forever, had topnotch service. They seemed to have found their rhythm with seating people by then. We found breakfasts busy and a bit tense/rushed at times, though lunches felt relaxed/fun and dinners elegant.

Various seating on the Edge

image.thumb.png.e5c1e35fa56fa8092c7e14b7643f5be0.png

image.png

image.thumb.png.6b4851c82183978f585efe79c9c6fa99.png

image.thumb.png.04533c7bfcef3d3d02115f59f6634ac5.png

When we ate with our friends, we usually had this table, which was great!

image.thumb.png.39282882127e338fec0cbc7a989271fc.png

Reflection Luminae

image.png.93dc8ca85910c3bede18d2c19c285866.png

image.png.f567f218e634d6ddde105409107ddc16.png

Connie Luminae

image.thumb.png.6dba98124f25f5ba31407a579561a6d3.png

image.png.9054465eeb3d87f1c888de3cedd71699.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Others have described Luminae on the Edge as too large and noisy. It's funny, but I just didn't feel that way while there, though I did feel in certain sections that it felt more crowded. I looked at the specs to refresh my memory about the seating. The Edge Luminae seats 172, the Reflection Luminae 94, Eclipse 90, Millennium 54. I feel like the seats were generally further apart on S and M Class (see pictures below).

Looking at the footprint of Luminae on the Edge, it is similar to the Tuscan Grille on M Class - the Edge Luminae looks a little longer, but seems similar in that it is a long, rectangular room. It was divided up a bit, with a front section that looked quieter with only a few seats, but not divided like S Class, with good-sized front and back sections. I imagine that cut down on the noise, along with S Class Luminae having 75-80 less seats.

Our experience was generally great on the Edge in January, with the table for 4 we had for dinners and the window-side breakfasts and lunches usually, but a couple of times we were in the middle and it felt more like Blu, with people close by (usually not a bad thing). There were no large groups when we were there, which also probably made a difference. On the Eclipse and Reflection we sometimes ate at the same time as a couple of large groups in Luminae and it was too loud in there. I have to say on the Edge, we could always talk normally and be heard. Hearing that others found it loud, I guess we lucked out with our fellow diners, table locations and maybe timing.

When we were in Luminae on the Edge in Nov-Dec, seating times were a bit of a mess and service was awkward at times, but we were forgiving since these were the very first cruises on the Edge. In late January, we had Dusan as a waiter almost every time and, since he is someone who has been on X forever, had topnotch service. They seemed to have found their rhythm with seating people by then. We found breakfasts busy and a bit tense/rushed at times, though lunches felt relaxed/fun and dinners elegant.

We agree, we didn’t find Luminae on Edge to be noisier than other ships in the fleet. Possibly the only time the noise level was elevated was at lunch on the day of embarkation when first time guests in Luminae were excited to be trying the venue. Yes, we had the same experience with large groups on the Reflection in Luminae who greatly added to the noise level.

On our last Edge cruise, we were in a Sky Suite, but because the balcony didn't have a table- it did have a tiny end table, and the suite didn't have a table, but a huge rocker instead, we were unable to enjoy dining in our suite- hope for our next cruise in an Sky suite next year, the table situation has been resolved.  Also we were in a suite on the Silhouette a couple of months ago, and while we did have a true table on our balcony, the butler never placed a nice white table cloth on the table, just two placemats.  Hopefully the suite also has a coffee table suitable for dining.  The infinite balconies are tiny and I cannot imagine they could fit a true table on them.

Glad to hear that we can now enjoy the MDR in luminae.  I was advised that the MDR kitchens were too far away and that we couldn't order from the menu. 

16 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

On our last Edge cruise, we were in a Sky Suite, but because the balcony didn't have a table- it did have a tiny end table, and the suite didn't have a table, but a huge rocker instead, we were unable to enjoy dining in our suite- hope for our next cruise in an Sky suite next year, the table situation has been resolved.  Also we were in a suite on the Silhouette a couple of months ago, and while we did have a true table on our balcony, the butler never placed a nice white table cloth on the table, just two placemats.  Hopefully the suite also has a coffee table suitable for dining.  The infinite balconies are tiny and I cannot imagine they could fit a true table on them.

Glad to hear that we can now enjoy the MDR in luminae.  I was advised that the MDR kitchens were too far away and that we couldn't order from the menu. 

I hate to think that the days of the white table cloths on the suite balconies are gone - maybe it depends upon the butler. It sounds like the Edge tables room service issue is fixed for the suites. If I were in an IV, I would probably do a continental breakfast while gazing at the sights and then go to the buffet later for something more substantial, if still hungry. The small, white table was big enough for coffee or tea and pastries for two, but wouldn't fit our bigger plates with omelets and fruit. They might bring another small table if you were planning to have frequent room service so that you could each have a table.

It's just the everyday menu in Edge Luminae, I believe, unless it changed again. That includes chicken breast, salmon, generic steak, Caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, escargot, French onion soup, creme brulee that they can have on hand in the Luminae galley, but not the nightly changing MDR menu. We were told that the Luminae galley is quite small.

Edited by vtcruising
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I hate to think that the days of the white table cloths on the suite balconies are gone - maybe it depends upon the butler. It sounds like the Edge tables room service issue is fixed for the suites. If I were in an IV, I would probably do a continental breakfast while gazing at the sights and then go to the buffet later for something more substantial, if still hungry. The small, white table was big enough for coffee or tea and pastries for two, but wouldn't fit our bigger plates with omelets and fruit. They might bring another small table if you were planning to have frequent room service so that you could each have a table.

Our last five cruises (before Edge) were on the Reflection. We ordered room service every single morning on each cruise. On the first two cruises the butlers put table cloths on the verandah tables. On the subsequent cruises they only used placemats, even when we sailed in a Signature suite. I remember thinking at the time that the days of modern luxury with white table cloths was coming to an end. First they took away the table cloths, then they took away the tables. I can do without the table cloths, but adequate furniture for dining on the verandahs is a must. X seems to be trying to rectify the situation on the Edge, albeit very slowly. I sincerely hope that there will not be a repeat of this fiasco on Apex. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...