Royal Caribbean to open 5 private islands.

grapau27

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Coco Cay doesn't have its pier yet. It has happened twice at Labadee for me since the pier was built. Once it was Indy and Granduer and the other was Freedom and Explorer. They only bring in one ship is there is an Oasis class ship there. Fortunately, next week Adventure will be there alone.

Doubt I'll get off.  Laura still hobbled up with broken foot, and it seems like more folks affected by Noro last week had gotten off in Labadee

9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Not being argumentative,  but I've never been in Coco Cay or Labadee with two ships.  Does that happen often?

Happened to us once. Was on the Grandeur one time and the Explorer was also there.  We actually had to wait to disembark because of a medical evacuation by helicopter for an Explorer passenger. Helicopter landed on the pier.

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Doubt I'll get off.  Laura still hobbled up with broken foot, and it seems like more folks affected by Noro last week had gotten off in Labadee

I never eat the food there. If people ever saw flies on the food in the Windjammer they would be up in arms but on Labadee it is totally tolerated.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

I never eat the food there. If people ever saw flies on the food in the Windjammer they would be up in arms but on Labadee it is totally tolerated.

We've eaten there many times, mainly in the Barefoot Beach or cabana areas.   Having those semi private experiences is probably what pushed us to make PC

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I cruise to be out at sea at night. I have no interest in being docked at a contrived fake "paradise" over night. And why would anyone want to rent an overnight cabana when they have already paid to spend the night on a multimillion dollar cruise ship? Might as well skip the cruise and go stay at a resort where you are not penned in like you are at Labadee. I like visiting different countries (islands), exploring and interacting with the local folks. Then I like getting back on the shop and sailing somewhere else. If I am going to be docked over night I want it to be a real port where I can go off exploring like what happens in Bermuda.

I don't know how much more cruising I'll be doing if this is the future.

We are like yourself and like interesting port intensive  cruises and Europe supplies that.

For me cruising is seeing another port every day,if we want a theme park we will go to WDW.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Please send our best wishes for a speedy recovery to Laura.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Not being argumentative,  but I've never been in Coco Cay or Labadee with two ships.  Does that happen often?

Not that often but it does happen.

Labadee had 2 in port at the same time twice this past December and will again have 2 in port twice during this February..

Coco Cay: Once this past December, three times this January and three times this coming February..

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I cruise to be out at sea at night. I have no interest in being docked at a contrived fake "paradise" over night. And why would anyone want to rent an overnight cabana when they have already paid to spend the night on a multimillion dollar cruise ship? Might as well skip the cruise and go stay at a resort where you are not penned in like you are at Labadee. I like visiting different countries (islands), exploring and interacting with the local folks. Then I like getting back on the shop and sailing somewhere else. If I am going to be docked over night I want it to be a real port where I can go off exploring like what happens in Bermuda.

I don't know how much more cruising I'll be doing if this is the future.

Agree.

Can't see me flying from Scotland to cruise on fake islands. 

Different place every other day, not a fun fair on an island. That's what cruising is about

• Like 3

I enjoy going to different ports, seeing different people and different cultures and have been doing it for 20 years.  I've visited many of the same places several times and met some people many times over those years and seen many things remain the same as well as many changes. .

Why would I want to visit two or even three private beaches with the same barbeques, served by the same crew members and partake of probably the same activities?  Why not just cruise to ONE of them and have a film of the ship sailing past different islands played on all the rooms which will have Virtual Verandas. 

The crew could wear different island clothing and have a different band or two playing each day. Wow, no port fees and what a savings on fuel.

They can even sell the same turtle and monkey refrigerator magnets, just write a different name on them  each day..

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 1

I believe some have misunderstood the plan.  The new islands will be scattered around the world.  The plan is not for a cruise to stop at multiple private islands on the same trip.  I would like to see an additional island located in the western gulf of Mexico.

I believe there are still port fees associated with the private islands. They are part of countries and do need clearance.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I have been at CocoCay a couple of times with another ship. 

Once that other ship ship was a Carnival ship. 😉

(yes, RC rents out CocoCay to Carnival Corporation on occasion) 😄

29 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

I believe some have misunderstood the plan.  The new islands will be scattered around the world.  The plan is not for a cruise to stop at multiple private islands on the same trip.  I would like to see an additional island located in the western gulf of Mexico.

I believe there are still port fees associated with the private islands. They are part of countries and do need clearance.  

Point of reference:

We missed Coco Cay last week. 

My refund of port fees was $18.35

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

Not that often but it does happen.

Labadee had 2 in port at the same time twice this past December and will again have 2 in port twice during this February..

Coco Cay: Once this past December, three times this January and three times this coming February..

Rhapsody had to go to Nassau last month because Enchantment was already scheduled.  

Made the itinerary change several months in advance.  

5 hours ago, Colorado Babe said:

WE saw the commercial last night for Coco Cay. My husband said book it.  I told him we already have 13 future cruises coming up and he would have to wait until 2020 to check it out.  He is a very active guy and get's bored at Labadee and Coco Cay before they put the amusement park in.  I am happy they are added more features to these ports.  Not everyone wants to hang out in a beach chair getting sun burnt.  🙂

We saw the commercial last weekend and my husband said the same thing....but I had to explain that we are already set to go there in a few months lol!! He obviously has no part in the planning of vacations :classic_tongue: I'm hoping they'll have some things completed by May like they're scheduled to!

Personally I'm excited about them expanding to different areas. I like having a private island in the mix of "regular" islands-it's a no brainer and often cheap day for us (no kids, always have drink packages) I wouldn't like an entire cruise of just private islands-that's what land vacations are for.

5 hours ago, CruiseDude69 said:

Private islands are all the rage, I guess. I'm not exactly sure how they'll be different than any other Caribbean island except being more accessible for bigger ships? 

The difference will be that the cruise line is guaranteed any money you spend there. I just got off an RCCL cruise that stopped at four islands and I took a tour at each island and I bought food and souvenirs on several islands, but I did not purchase any of that through RCCL. If I get off the boat at Perfect Day Cay and spend anything, RCCL is getting their cut.

Good plan on their part too, because I spent more on the islands than I did on the ship, not counting fare. 

I'm having a hard time melding some of the opinions expressed in this thread.  How many times do people gripe about how horrible Nassau is?  All the cruise lines stop in The Bahamas on their itineraries out of Florida because it's so close.  That's just what they have to do to be able to make it back to the port by 5:00AM the next day.  If my choices are fake paradise or Nassau, I'll take fake paradise thank you very much.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, CruiseDude69 said:

Private islands are all the rage, I guess. I'm not exactly sure how they'll be different than any other Caribbean island except being more accessible for bigger ships? 

I think you greatly underestimate the appeal of this. Everyone thinks the mainstream cruiser is looking for some "advanced" vacation. The reality is, there are a lot of people that would prefer this to some other stops. Many people don't want to deal with locals trying to sell you things, find taxis, and many other things. This is also perfect for the family cruisers, looking to keep their kids occupied and are worried about "crime".

To all those following the hive-mind, how is this a "fake island?" The other islands are also developed with resorts, restaurants, roads, and have beaches too but this is different? If you meant to say you prefer experience local cultures, then that is a different thing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I think you greatly underestimate the appeal of this. Everyone thinks the mainstream cruiser is looking for some "advanced" vacation. The reality is, there are a lot of people that would prefer this to some other stops. Many people don't want to deal with locals trying to sell you things, find taxis, and many other things. This is also perfect for the family cruisers, looking to keep their kids occupied and are worried about "crime".

To all those following the hive-mind, how is this a "fake island?" The other islands are also developed with resorts, restaurants, roads, and have beaches too but this is different? If you meant to say you prefer experience local cultures, then that is a different thing. 

I think you answered your own question.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

I would think a private island in the western Gulf would be of extremely limited use.  Other than cruises out of Galveston and maybe New Orleans, it would simply be too far away to be practical, IMO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I wonder if the second one in the Caribbean they mentioned will be a revamp for Labadee or somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico closer to the Western Caribbean ports.  With Galveston getting an Oasis class ship I suspect the latter.

Near as I can tell, there aren't any islands in the Gulf of Mexico.  The only option would be a repeat of Labadee except using a location on the Mexico coast.

13 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I would think a private island in the western Gulf would be of extremely limited use.  Other than cruises out of Galveston and maybe New Orleans, it would simply be too far away to be practical, IMO.

Seems like it could work for Western Caribbean cruises. Carnival has a private island off of Honduras. Belize could be a possibility. Mexico...

11 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Seems like it could work for Western Caribbean cruises. Carnival has a private island off of Honduras. Belize could be a possibility. Mexico...

Neither Honduras or Belize are in the western Gulf of Mexico.  They are actually both hundreds of miles from any part of the Gulf of Mexico.

31 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

If you meant to say you prefer experience local cultures, then that is a different thing. 

I'm pretty sure I said that I like going off exploring and interacting with the locals. Labadee, and its forced beach day, does nothing for me. I can walk down the street and go to the beach. And I don't have to lay out thousands of dollars to do it.

• Thanks 1