Royal Caribbean to open 5 private islands.

grapau27

WE saw the commercial last night for Coco Cay. My husband said book it.  I told him we already have 13 future cruises coming up and he would have to wait until 2020 to check it out.  He is a very active guy and get's bored at Labadee and Coco Cay before they put the amusement park in.  I am happy they are added more features to these ports.  Not everyone wants to hang out in a beach chair getting sun burnt.  🙂

Private islands are all the rage, I guess. I'm not exactly sure how they'll be different than any other Caribbean island except being more accessible for bigger ships? 

Personally, I can't wait for Ocean Cay to open. I've been reading about it forever and MSC has been pushing the opening date back for what seems like years now.

Sounds like early November is the opening date? https://www.porthole.com/msc-cruises-ocean-cay/

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 11.05.54 AM.png

Interesting that they are mentioning the on-land overnight aspect again.  They initially talked about it and then it went dark.  Now it seems like they are re-visiting this option.  I am intrigued but not sure how viable it is.  It seems like it would be a logistical nightmare with one ship to arrive at the island and another ship to depart.  I will probably wait for them to work the bugs out of this one before trying it, assuming it ever comes to fruition.

9 minutes ago, CruiseDude69 said:

Private islands are all the rage, I guess. I'm not exactly sure how they'll be different than any other Caribbean island except being more accessible for bigger ships?

How about the cruise line having a monopoly on all guest expenditures on that stop.

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Interesting that they are mentioning the on-land overnight aspect again.  They initially talked about it and then it went dark.  Now it seems like they are re-visiting this option.  I am intrigued but not sure how viable it is.  It seems like it would be a logistical nightmare with one ship to arrive at the island and another ship to depart.  I will probably wait for them to work the bugs out of this one before trying it, assuming it ever comes to fruition.

They did also mention that it was a suite experience with limited accommodation.  My guess is that it will be so expensive and limited it won’t be logistically difficult.

7 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

How about the cruise line having a monopoly on all guest expenditures on that stop.

Thats for sure!

I could see late night departures with fee based restaurants-speciality restaurants on the private islands.  Maybe also some night life lounges/shows with 'named entertainers.  They would be able to have new ships in each evening with the entertainers not having to be attached to ships for excess days before being transferred to a new ship.

• Like 1

Also makes is legal to sail from one US port to another, although very limited number of people will be able to do this.  Kind of like sailing from Seattle to Vancouver, staying a night, and sailing different ship to LA.  Short routes (low cost fuel), no port charges.

I'm all for it!  Labadee is always a highlight for us.  It's such a relaxing day, and what I picture as an island paradise/escape

I remember our first cruise, when we pulled up to Grand Caymen for example (aka a city), I thought to myself, this isn't what I pictured when thinking about Caribbean islands.  I've since learned the drill though.  Use a taxi or other form of transportation to get to the picturesque areas.  However, the private stops are so much more convenient and relaxing IMO.

Dan

38 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They did also mention that it was a suite experience with limited accommodation.  My guess is that it will be so expensive and limited it won’t be logistically difficult.

Are you familiar with the RCI IT department? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

It might work like interporting

This is great for many as tourists... it's really sad for me as a traveler as I've loved RCL as their itineraries have provided me with superb world experiences the past few years.

I love cruising for seeing the world, not paying $300pp per day for not-so-"perfect day" for a fake cabana on a fake beach in a fake park... instead I'd rather be climbing the Colosseum in Rome or seeing the sites in Dublin on a cruise. I think as the Vision Class ships get sold off and the Radiance Class ships perhaps start getting threatened to be sold as well in the next decade, this is Royal's direction... their own fake islands, fake ports, drink package sales, proprietary gimmicks for more revenue, etc etc etc. on Quantum/Oasis Class ships only... they will be exactly like an all-inclusive closed in resort rather than a method to travel and see the world. Voyager could be the smallest ship in the fleet in 10 years (and even then Voyager will be 29 years old)

I just booked Oceania again, this time for Cuba... 10 day sailing only 2 sea days... 3 overnights, 2 full days in each port. Much better than 5 fake islands for me anyways. I'm hoping this is not the full direction RCL is going and will still have many other options.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I cruise to be out at sea at night. I have no interest in being docked at a contrived fake "paradise" over night. And why would anyone want to rent an overnight cabana when they have already paid to spend the night on a multimillion dollar cruise ship? Might as well skip the cruise and go stay at a resort where you are not penned in like you are at Labadee. I like visiting different countries (islands), exploring and interacting with the local folks. Then I like getting back on the shop and sailing somewhere else. If I am going to be docked over night I want it to be a real port where I can go off exploring like what happens in Bermuda.

I don't know how much more cruising I'll be doing if this is the future.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

They already do pretty well, seeing as they own most of the retail options that they "approve" in the ports of call.  But yeah, 100% control is huge.

I know, right? It feels like every port you're in, the shops and restaurants have some kind of deal with the cruise lines to bring people through anyway. 

I do like the idea of a private island because it seems easier to control the number of ships and visitors, so it holds onto that "private" feel. I guess there's always a chance they get greedy and fill the place up regardless. 

1 minute ago, CruiseDude69 said:

I do like the idea of a private island because it seems easier to control the number of ships and visitors, so it holds onto that "private" feel. I guess there's always a chance they get greedy and fill the place up regardless. 

Of course they will get greedy. They built the pier at Labadee for Oasis and then started bringing in two ships at a time when for years there was only one. They will stuff the private island just like they are stuffing more cabins into the ships. Of this there is little doubt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Royal want to get as much $ as they can from their passangers. When they still have to keep the cost of the cruise low because of the other cruise lines, they find other ways to make a profit.

Labadee & Coco Cay is one way to get the passangers to spend more money.

Take a look at the port stop in San Juan with Harmony, 07.00 - 14.00. Only to be able to get to Labadee...

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Not being argumentative,  but I've never been in Coco Cay or Labadee with two ships.  Does that happen often?

Coco Cay doesn't have its pier yet. It has happened twice at Labadee for me since the pier was built. Once it was Indy and Granduer and the other was Freedom and Explorer. They only bring in one ship is there is an Oasis class ship there. Fortunately, next week Adventure will be there alone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1