Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

18 hours ago, molecrochip said:

This is the closest to handover we’ve got. The P&O top brass are in Germany to receive Iona.

Inspections continue tomorrow then fingers crossed for Friday.

So far so good.... feels like there is the will to get this across the line today or tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Ship looks lovely.

Shame it is at least 5 months before she sails with paying passengers.

I'm not a fan of mega ships, but even I have to admit that from that angle, in that light, she looks pretty good.

Sideways on, in a grey North Sea morning, I might not be so keen!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm not a fan of mega ships, but even I have to admit that from that angle, in that light, she looks pretty good.

Sideways on, in a grey North Sea morning, I might not be so keen!

Still looks like an ugly apartment block to me. Now where's that tin helmet...🤣

23 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Never really cared what a ship looks like from the outside more interested on the inside. Majority of the time on your cruise you cannot see what she looks like because you are at sea so who cares.

That's probably correct, but you are still in a block of flats with 5000 inhabitants.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That's probably correct, but you are still in a block of flats with 5000 inhabitants.

Well you would be if it ever sails full. If the capacity is limited to even 70/80% that would leave it about a quarter empty, with probably bags of room to take your cat with you for a swing around.

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Well you would be if it ever sails full. If the capacity is limited to even 70/80% that would leave it about a quarter empty, with probably bags of room to take your cat with you for a swing around.

That's true. Still  not tempted though.

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Never really cared what a ship looks like from the outside more interested on the inside. Majority of the time on your cruise you cannot see what she looks like because you are at sea so who cares.

For years we said we wouldn't go on Norwegian Epic. Ugly thing. Eventually a good deal came along and we did. Quite good from this inside. From the outside still an ugly thing.

I don't think it is just the looks though. As someone more used to Oriana and Aurora (and smaller ships than those) I personally feel the atmosphere and experience on the larger ships is quite different. I think this will be even more apparent on Iona. I think it will be much more casual and will be surprised if there are any formal nights or dress codes by the time she is joined by her sister-ship at the end of 2022.

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Thats a really original statement never heard that one before 🤣 but like I said who cares when you are inside and enjoying the facilities.

47 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I don't think it is just the looks though. As someone more used to Oriana and Aurora (and smaller ships than those) I personally feel the atmosphere and experience on the larger ships is quite different. I think this will be even more apparent on Iona. I think it will be much more casual and will be surprised if there are any formal nights or dress codes by the time she is joined by her sister-ship at the end of 2022.

Well unfortunately whether we like it or not that is how cruising is going and P&O like many other cruise lines have to move with the times. More than likely by the time Iona 2 is built and released Aurora and possibly Arcadia might be in the hands of the same company as Oriana.

19 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Well unfortunately whether we like it or not that is how cruising is going and P&O like many other cruise lines have to move with the times. More than likely by the time Iona 2 is built and released Aurora and possibly Arcadia might be in the hands of the same company as Oriana.

Indeed, that is very much how the bigger lines are going and I agree with you about Aurora & Arcadia. I have accepted some time ago now that my days of sailing with P&O are limited.