LIVE FROM - 2019 Pacific World Cruise - LA to LA

ccrain

Charles,

I am in tears as I read your last post.  I kept thinking I wasn’t reading it correctly.  How can Judy be gone?

I can’t even begin to imagine the pain you must be experiencing.  I hope and pray that you are doing OK.  We never know when our time will come.  I know that Judy experienced joy and happiness with you on her final days.  At least you were in a place that you both loved.

Take care of yourself and I pray that someday we will hear from you.

Sending you hugs.

Charles, my heart breaks for you. I’ve never met you and your wife but have so enjoyed all of your blogs over the years. Though your big World Cruise ended far too soon, I’m so glad you at least embarked on it together. Your words brought tears to my eyes and inspired me go get some Vitamin Sea with my DH as we live the credo to do all that we can now for you never know what can happen. God bless you during this most horrific time of your life. I hope that one day cruising will bring you joy once again. Thank you for all the amazing blogs you’ve shared with us. 

I am so very sorry for your loss.  You & Judy had a wonderful life and many adventures.  Words escape me in offering comfort and condolences. ❤️  I hope you can sense what I wish to say.

Edited by GloriaF

Even though we have never met, like many others here, I have followed you here on CC for several years. You two were an inspiration to other cruisers who followed along in your adventures together. Thank you for sharing your lives with us.

Condolences for your lost.  Like others, I hope find your way back someday. In the meantime, do what you need to do. 

On 2/10/2019 at 1:17 PM, ccrain said:

02-11-2019 Off Auckland – Tragic End To A Cruise

The light, the love of my life, my soulmate, my wife has passed away. Judy is gone.

She passed on 8 Feb 2019 while at sea after she contracted Noro and suffered successive complications.

I am at a loss for words, for feeling, for anything right now. Taking it one step at a time, one hour at a time, one day at a time.

Yesterday we had the most beautiful memorial service for her at sea during the Sunday Church services. It was a fitting memorial to one that loved cruising so. It was a packed house. I am leaving the ship in Auckland, taking her home one last time.

I’m not sure if I can ever read a post on CC again, or post anything ever again – my heart is broken, my soul torn apart. I leave you with the words I spoke at the memorial. Words she would have wanted me to speak. Words I had to speak. Take them to heart. Farewell to you all…

Thank you all for coming. I will try to make this short and to the point, but you might want to get tissues ready, as I have already.

This set of circumstances rarely happens on a ship, but when it does, it reminds us of how precious time is. And it gives us a moment to reflect on just how important we are to each other.

I felt a need, on behalf of Judy and I, to help focus us this morning. In this time of grief to a larger purpose, a celebration of love and of life.

I also want to thank all of you for your heartfelt condolences, your hugs, your cards, your music and most importantly a shoulder to cry on, a friend to be with. I don’t know how I could have survived this on a ship full of strangers.

My grandfather retired at 62 and passed 6 months later leaving my grandmother alone and with unfilled promises of traveling the world together.

That taught me the importance and shortness of time in this life.

I swore to myself and to Judy that that would not happen to us. We vowed that if we died tomorrow, we would not regret. And we followed that vision as much as humanly possible.

We worked, we scrimped, we saved and we started cruising in 2001 on the Ocean Princess, Sun Class, to Alaska. I was a ‘can you fish off the back of the boat guy’ and she got carsick going to the mall. Strange duo for cruising.

But we and our four suitcases of stuff made the 7 day cruise and loved it. By our third cruise on the Island to Panama, 10 days but far less stuff, we were hooked on cruising.

But we also made the most of our time together not cruising. When cooking, cleaning house, making the bed, unmaking the bed, watching TV, going out to eat and dancing, especially dancing together.

Each and every day possible we looked at each other, thanking whatever lucky stars brought us together almost 41 years ago.

We valued, treasured, cherished the time we spent together. Those of you familiar with my threads from cruises know how much our lives were intertwined. How much we meant to each other.

And now, time has caught up with us. But I, and I hope she, has no regrets. It hurts. God it hurts more than anything in the world. But it’s a lesson in pain all of you can learn something from.

Today, tonight, right now – turn to the one you love. Look into their eyes, listen to their voice, touch their hand. Revel in that feeling of completeness, of oneness in that precious moment of time.

Tomorrow may bring emptiness, but right now, at this time, in this place you have each other. And nothing, nothing can take that moment away.

Make that moment count.

May god bless your onward journey with much love and many, many such moments. Thank you again for coming.

Charles, 

I was shocked & saddened when I heard about Judy.  We were so looking forward to finally meeting the two of you on our Aussie adventure.

My thoughts & prayers are with you.

Randie (jimrandie)

I've been thinking about Charles as he was traveling back home.   Does anyone know if he made it back home safely?   I am sure he is anxious to get home to be with family and friends.    My heart is still aching for him.   I am sure Judy is looking down on him from heaven and giving him the strength to get through the long journey home.  

Been texting and emailing with Charles and he asked me to post that he is doing OK. He is getting ready to fly home shortly and it will be about 26 hours before he makes it home. He also wanted me to pass on that he is reading each and every post and they are helping, but he finds it he just can't post anything at this time.

Keep the two of them in your thoughts and prayers, we have.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

Been texting and emailing with Charles and he asked me to post that he is doing OK. He is getting ready to fly home shortly and it will be about 26 hours before he makes it home. He also wanted me to pass on that he is reading each and every post and they are helping, but he finds it he just can't post anything at this time.

Keep the two of them in your thoughts and prayers, we have.

Rabbit, Thank you so much for this update.   Charles and Judy are in so many people's prayers at this time.   

5 minutes ago, tawlaw1526 said:

Rabbit, Thank you so much for this update.   Charles and Judy are in so many people's prayers at this time.   

Yes they are. Cheryl and I had the pleasure to sail the 60 night pacific rim cruise last year with them and had many opportunities to sit and talk with the both of them. They are the real deal!

• Like 1

I have posted several times and I remember our meeting no doubt more then you  for 2015 in the cruise ship terminal in La. for our Hawaii S Pacific  cruise.  I could not believe the posting people were leaving to you,so not reading for a few days I had to go back and catch up to your point of posting.  My sincere condolences at this time.  You story to the cruisers was beautiful and I was filled with tears. Your sadness now will turn into many great memories. MaybGod bless you now and always.

I cannot imagine the pain you are going through. I just started reading your live thread a few days ago and I thought to myself that my next three months would be filled each day following along for your amazing journey.  We were on the 28 day Tahiti cruise with you and your wife in 2015 and I believe it was your live thread I would keep up with even though we were on the same cruise. 

When I got to your post about your wife, I really thought I pushed the wrong button and was on an entirely different thread. When I realized it was real, I was in disbelief and could not imagine how one could go from the excitement and anticipation at the beginning of a trip of a lifetime to planning and giving a memorial service within a day. 

There are no words that can express the sorrow all of us here feel for you and your family. Hopefully in time you will be able to return to this forum and maybe even another cruise.

Charles, I have read many of your posts on numerous threads. I am so sorry for your loss, and in such an unexpected way. We truly need to make each day count, as you and Judy did.

May these words from a marker in an old Wisconsin cemetary bring you some comfort:

"Life is immortal; Love is eternal;

Death is a horizon,

and a horizon is nothing

save the limit of our sight"