Fish Allergy

anniedave

We will be sailing next Jan on Reflection and looking forward to our first cruise. We managed to get a great deal to upgrade to Aqua. My only concern is that my husband is allergic to all types of fish and the smell of fish makes him physically ill. If we go out for a meal and he can smell someone near eating fish he has to get up and leave. How will we find blu - ive read the tables are quite close together so im worrried if we are eating dinner we may have to leave if a nearby table orders fish. Also when we explain the allergy will they be able to offer alternative options as it looks like half the menu - starters and entrees are fish based. Thanks in advance for any info 

I also have a fish allergy, though not quite as severe as your husband's. I have always been able to find offerings I could eat, though I do resort to the "always available" for the main courses and a house salad. If your talk to the waiter the chef may be able to help you out. 

As to the smell - ask for a table on the end, so you would only get aroma from one direction? It's a thought. 

There will, likely be fish served at every table. You will need to be seated near the entrance . Also there are several fish dishes at the buffet every day. Aqua is not open for lunch so you will need to eat there or in the main dining room

Just off Reflection. I have allergies. Not fish...My spouse is diabetic and uses a Cpap.  Before the cruise, I called the Captains Club and let them know. My TA always informs any cruise line that we book. They did inform the ship which made some accomodations. Our cabin steward was informed. However, our cabin steward was new. He did not fully understand. Spoke to the Captains Club hostess on the ship. She helped.  

We have dined in Blu, MDR, specialty restaurants, pool grill, and the Buffet. The Buffet is very crowded. Tables are close together.We waited and shared tables many times. There is a small group of tables near the Al Bacio 2 bar for handicapped guests. I also saw a few separate tables near the port side entrance with reserved signs. Maybe you could request a table there.  Pool grill has no fish. Room service is also good. In the MDR and Blu many tables are close. There are a few with more space between them. Avoid Sushi on 5 and Patio . Tuscan Grill and Lawbclub are spacious and serve mostly meat. Good luck.  

Allergies are such a headache! No, nightmare!

I have a very serious nut allergy.

Despite filling in the paperwork, despite meeting with the 'right' people, I was served nuts twice in one meal in Luminae on our last X cruise. 

I took my complaint to the hotel manager. I'm not going to mess around when my life is on the line! It was dealt with.

So, whatever you do, be proactive. Do not expect X or any other cruise line to get it right! Sorry is the sounds a bit am-dram but it is so important!

I know many with food allergy / restrictions.    It is always advisable to notify the Restaurant manager of this.  Your servers will generally ask if you have any allergies.    Those I sailed with would be presented with a special menu each evening for the next night and they would make their selection.

I'm sure the manager will work with you the best possible regarding seating but that may be tough one depending on the timing you may wish to dine.   The manager may be able to suggest a good time to dine when Blu is least busy.   As you indicated seating is quite tight and an adjacent table may be as close as 3 feet away.

Unfortunately, you aren't going to be able to complete escape fish on a cruise ship. I would think the best option would be to find a least busy time. While you can control what you order, you can't control your neighbors. Just like I can't ask the whole ship to not douse themselves in perfume.

With all due respect,may I suggest room service at least for dinne ?

If your DH has such a strong reaction to fish odor,cruising may not be a good vacation choice for you.

As others have written here, tables are placed  close to each other in ship dining rooms. Understandably, one can not control others’ meal choices. It must be disconcerting for both of you when your DH is compelled to leave the table due to odors coming from other diners’ plates.

• Like 2

As others have said, you will need at least a table for two, preferably near the entrance as seafood odors

from galley will be worst in the rear of dining room. There's seafood of some type on the menu every night

and for sure a lot of diners look forward to it as my wife and I. Diffidently  don't go on formal night as it will be filled with lobster eaters.Even the Pay restaurants have seafood on menus.  So it he's that allergenic, maybe room service would be your option. Maybe cruising is not a good fit for you folks. Especially if you have to worry about whats being consumed around you

k and J.

Edited by Decpl
Spelling

Thankyou all for your helpful advice and replies. Unfortunately we are used to having to swap tables/ leave a restaurant if my husband smells fish and it wont spoil our holiday. We will probably use the mast grill for lunch on sea days and as everyone says we can always have room service. It would be great to experience Blu but the upgrade from Concierge to Aqua  was very minimal so if we have to miss out on Blu its one of those things. Can I just ask you all a few more questions - is there a time when Blu is likely to be less busy? - we generally eat late anyway. Are there outside tables at the Buffet? If we are in Aqua if we find the MDR a better option are we allowed to eat there? Thanks in advance for any info.

5 hours ago, anniedave said:

Thankyou all for your helpful advice and replies. Unfortunately we are used to having to swap tables/ leave a restaurant if my husband smells fish and it wont spoil our holiday. We will probably use the mast grill for lunch on sea days and as everyone says we can always have room service. It would be great to experience Blu but the upgrade from Concierge to Aqua  was very minimal so if we have to miss out on Blu its one of those things. Can I just ask you all a few more questions - is there a time when Blu is likely to be less busy? - we generally eat late anyway. Are there outside tables at the Buffet? If we are in Aqua if we find the MDR a better option are we allowed to eat there? Thanks in advance for any info.

There are limited outside tables at the buffet and very limited tables at the mast grill.  Fish is eaten at just about every table. The MDR won't be better than the Blu . Explain the situation at Blu and perhaps they will allow you a regular table near the door so waiters won't be walking by with plated fish. There is always daily fish offerings and salmon is on the menu every night. I hate to be negative but this will be difficult

As others have said, it's going to be difficult to avoid the smell of fish on a cruiseship.  It's pretty much everywhere you eat.  I would say room service is the safest bet, but how boring and limiting that experience would be!  I applaud your willingness to make concessions, but to be honest, cruising would not be my vacation choice in this case.