Not Happy with Liquor Up Charges

gmbhardy

4 hours ago, ksmcdonald said:

Good point!

I never thought about the 3rd and 4th person in a room!  NCL's argument is that if you don't like the individual drink prices, pick the FREE UBP perk, which 90% of people do.  But what about the 3rd and 4th person in a cabin that has to pay for each individual drink or pay $128 a day for the overpriced package?  They've basically just out priced anyone that doesn't qualify for the FREE perks.  There say 3rd and 4th is sometimes a perk to sail FREE, but then they rip you off on the drink package!  

GRRR!  The more I think about this the madder I get!

I canceled a cruise in the DOS, the $19,000 + 2 drink packages $2100 was outrageous enough + $1260 if anyone wants premium alcohol was the tipping point (this is based on a 30% exchange rate, it might be higher in January)

On 1/23/2019 at 11:07 AM, gmbhardy said:

That’s exactly what people should. I plan on attending every CC event, Latitudes reception and Haven reception when on board to voice my discontent.

When on holiday, I try not to aggravate myself.  Doing that would aggravate me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Does anyone have any more detail on what the new package will include or not included on the HIGH END?

The menu's posted I could not see them?

So 2 years ago I would order 18 year old Glenlivet or Glenfiddich, don't remember which or maybe both.

They would pour me a double and it was around $6.50 with tip included!

It was well worth paying the extra if you like really good Scotch in a reasonable price range.

Based on the new prices for 12 year old. What is it going to cost? $40.00 for a double?

Thanks in advance. I will be on the Breakaway in a couple weeks.

I don't recall seeing 18 yr on the ship but a premium scotch will cost more like $50-$60 for a double. Minus $15 if you have the UBP.  And I use the term premium loosely.

4 hours ago, erdoran said:

From my reading, Yacht Club automatically gets the highest end drink package included at no additional charge.  Is that correct?  I'm not addressing the "retail" purchase of drink pkgs, just considering what I would do.

Here is a link to a review I had about a year ago on the Seaside while I stayed in the Yacht Club.  You are correct about the Yacht Club getting the highest end package.  Their drinks are listed with no asterisks for basic, 1 asterisk for upgraded (which Yacht Club gets) and two asterisks for super premium ( which is only a few varieties).  The Yacht Club also gets unlimited gelato and high end chocolate on the Seaside. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2506451-seaside-yacht-clubvalue-oriented-slice-of-the-good-life/

Edited by SNJCruisers

10 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Here is a link to a review I had last about a year ago on the Seaside while I stayed in the Yacht Club.  You are correct about the Yacht Club getting the highest end package.  Their drinks are listed with no asterisks for basic, 1 asterisk for upgraded (which Yacht Club gets) and two asterisks for super premium ( which is only a few varieties).  The Yacht Club also gets unlimited gelato and high end chocolate on the Seaside. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2506451-seaside-yacht-clubvalue-oriented-slice-of-the-good-life/

Still?  I had read about a bunch of downgrades.  Is what you got still valid?

I just booked a drinks on us cruise on MSC.  The drinks on us balcony rate which includes internet, was a good bit cheaper than comparable 7 day NCL cruises out of Miami for the same time periods.  The upgrade to premium drink package, which is very inclusive, is going to cost $27 pp per day.  

I haven't sailed anyone but NCL lately, so this will be a nice test.  Just over $2,000 for a balcony for 2....before the drink upgrade.  As it is now, I could have all the Miller Lite/a few wine choices/and call liquors that I could handle.  along with bottled water, , canned soda, select coffees etc...

And to answer the query above re Yacht Club..it is still very inclusive re drinks etc...

Edited by PTC DAWG

2 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Still?  I had read about a bunch of downgrades.  Is what you got still valid?

Don't know...have not been over on their boards.  I can tell you though that MSC is a four way class system.  Fourth class is Bella, third class is Fantastica, second class is Aurea and first class is the Yacht Club.  They have inside cabins in the Yacht Club as well as balconies and suites.  Things may have changed over the past year, but I think it is primarily with the other classes.  I don't think they would downgrade what is offered with the YC.

1 hour ago, YVRBassElectric said:

I canceled a cruise in the DOS, the $19,000 + 2 drink packages $2100 was outrageous enough + $1260 if anyone wants premium alcohol was the tipping point (this is based on a 30% exchange rate, it might be higher in January)

I hope you told NCL exactly WHY you cancelled....

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 7:51 AM, vicnsue said:

Hey there Cafedumonde.

We live in Alabama, only three hours away from NOLA. We are taking a TA in April on the Pearl. Looking ahead to 2020 we had our eye on the Getaway in January.

Sorry NCL another repeat customer taking their business elsewhere.

We just cancelled a cruise on the getaway and switched it to princess regal!  Saved about $1800 for a family of five.  Better cabins and itinerary too.  Love Alabama by the way.

1 hour ago, Lionkingrichard said:

So it looks like the Premium Plus package still won't get you the Higher end drinks? They maybe off the menu completely?

Pay out of pocket?

$8.50 per beer!

Everyone order LONG ISLANDS! That will show them. lol

Lol,  they have Long Islands on Tap on the Escape

On 1/22/2019 at 4:49 AM, tallnthensome said:

This new package would be an extra $1000 on our upcoming 15 day cruise. Ripoff, and not going to happen. NCL just lost a lot of appeal and any advantage it had over other cruise lines in my opinion. Again, I paid $8.25 on Celebrity to upgrade to premium from their free package. NCL wants 4X that ....... Sun is setting on our preference for NCL. 

We have already jumped ship.  When the gratuities on the UBP kept going up we decided to look around. We just got back last month from 32 days on MSC Divina and fell in love with the cruise line.  We also have 21 days booked on MSC Seaside this year and looking at the MSC Meraviglivia for next year.

We had the DOU with MSC but had to pay 15% gratuities so we upgraded to the Classic for $18pp per day and gratuities were included.

MSC has a new package out as of this past November and you don't have to pay gratuities.  Granted it is limited but has the drinks we drink.  To upgrade to their next package is $27 pp per day which is what I think NCL was looking at.  Only problems is with NCL you pay gratuities plus upgrade which is quite hefty.

We have 3 cruise next certificates and thinking we might not use them since NCL's cruise prices have gone through the roof.  We really loved NCL but not their prices anymore.

Edited by ready2cruzagain
  • Like 1

I really, really hope all the people complaining about this and jumping ship are contacting NCL with their decision AND the reason for the decision.  I've seen too many discussions on boards where people get all tied up in knots about something and complain, complain, complain - and after all the energy is gone and the horse has been beaten to death and beyond, the topic dies too, and nothing changes.

IF this is really something that MATTERS to you, then everyone who cancels as a result tell NCL precisely WHY you are cancelling as you cancel AND write to NCL to tell them you cancelled because of drink exclusions from UBP.  If you are choosing to look elsewhere, write NCL and tell them.  Who knows whether or not it will make a difference, but hey, it's a few minutes of your time and probably less than you spent in this thread.

I'm ticked but I doubt THIS is going to make a difference in my budget - where it will matter is if it continues, so that the majority of items are extra cost.  And I do think the UBC in combination with the premium upcharge IS deceptive, because, as others have said, the total out of pocket cost is the "retail" cost of beverage plans on other lines, so the "free" UBP is a joke.  For me, the $120/day UBP is a bigger deal breaker in that it pretty much eliminates any cost savings for cabin sharing!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cafedumonde said:

We just cancelled a cruise on the getaway and switched it to princess regal!  Saved about $1800 for a family of five.  Better cabins and itinerary too.  Love Alabama by the way.

My upcoming Princess Mexican Riviera cruise in April on Royal Princess huge balcony stateroom with beverage package, gratuities, coupon book and $25 OBC: $1169 per person (includes taxes and fees)

Mexican Riviera cruise on NCL Bliss in a balcony with 3 perks (1 bev. package a perk) $1544 per person (includes taxes and fees and service charge) + plus daily gratuities for the week  $101.50 .

Don't care how many bells and whistles Bliss has but  I followed the savings. In addition the ridiculous below average drink package on NCL has no comparison to Princess beverage package with the exception of the 15 drink limit but hey I'm okay with that.  No thanks NCL but I'm taking my business elsewhere.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, erdoran said:

I really, really hope all the people complaining about this and jumping ship are contacting NCL with their decision AND the reason for the decision.  I've seen too many discussions on boards where people get all tied up in knots about something and complain, complain, complain - and after all the energy is gone and the horse has been beaten to death and beyond, the topic dies too, and nothing changes.

IF this is really something that MATTERS to you, then everyone who cancels as a result tell NCL precisely WHY you are cancelling as you cancel AND write to NCL to tell them you cancelled because of drink exclusions from UBP.  If you are choosing to look elsewhere, write NCL and tell them.  Who knows whether or not it will make a difference, but hey, it's a few minutes of your time and probably less than you spent in this thread.

I'm ticked but I doubt THIS is going to make a difference in my budget - where it will matter is if it continues, so that the majority of items are extra cost.  And I do think the UBC in combination with the premium upcharge IS deceptive, because, as others have said, the total out of pocket cost is the "retail" cost of beverage plans on other lines, so the "free" UBP is a joke.  For me, the $120/day UBP is a bigger deal breaker in that it pretty much eliminates any cost savings for cabin sharing!

Well you can count this guy in on the not sailing again with NCL.  We did book Haven, because like when we booked international first class air travel once as a bucket list thing, we bucket listed Top of the Line cruise suite.  Was never going to repeat it but wanted to try it.   However, I also have been looking around at other lines and doing an all in at the end of the day cost comparisons and NCL has fallen quite far on the value for money.  Kudo's to their marketing team for PERCEIVED value for money.  But as a person who only joined CC as a participating member last year, my comments will be shifting mostly to other lines after this springs cruise.  Adios NCL

• Like 2

9 hours ago, blcruising said:

This a good start. I had a respectful, 15 minute conversation with their resolutions desk. My sense is they are receiving negative feedback about it. Obviously, the resolutions desk isn't making the policy. The logical next step is to take your business elsewhere.

I think everyone should go to NCL Facebook page and add a comment to each of their posts.

I scoured NCL website and could not find anything in the Terms and Conditions for Premium Plus other than this, which is for the Sun and Sky 3-6 day sailings. It looks as though there may be some sailings where it can be a choice like in the pick 1-6 options depending on ship, sailing and category of cabin. 

HERE IS THE LINK: https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions#takeall

Premium Plus Beverage Package (3-6 Day Norwegian Sun & Sky Cruises)
Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation. 
Guests 1-2 regardless of age will receive the Premium Plus Beverage Package. However, guests under the age of 21 at the time of sailing, may not consume alcoholic beverages.
Eligible guests are entitled to two beverages per person per transaction. 
Includes all beverages by the glass. Beverage selection is subject to change onboard.
Includes select wines by the bottle when dining. 
Includes fountain soda, freshly squeezed juice, bottled water (flat and sparkling), non-alcoholic beer, and specialty coffee (specialty coffee inclusion shall be limited to dining rooms only).
A 40% discount will be given on bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included), Wine and Spirit Experiences, tastings or Flights purchased on board.
Offer is not applicable at Harvest Caye bars, restaurants, or venues.
Does not include: Wine and Spirit Experiences, tastings or Flights, specialty coffee outside of the restaurants, room service, mini bar purchases, wine dispenser or vending machines.
Guest's check may reflect applicable VAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries.
Guest is responsible for 20% gratuities on the retail value of the Premium Plus Beverage Package ($5.80 USD per person per day) prior to cruise.
Retail value of Premium Plus Beverage Package is $29.00 USD per person per day. Package price is subject to change.
No substitute for package if guest cannot consume all beverages included.

Hubby and I sail (all but once) exclusively in suites with 3 sailing in the GV. On a shorter cruise with a Haven bar, we could be interested in the Premium Package if we planned on not spending much time off the ship. Hubby loves the older, more costly liquors such as the Don Julio, which we have had at NO up charge  years ago on the Getaway in the Haven. If it was on the shelf, we would be served no extra cost. Was that the policy then, I don't think so but that is what we exoerienced. However, I also agree as a stockholder, a Platinum Plus and a suite cruise...throw the gosh darn Premind Plus in for suites. I'll even agree to pay the "service charge/gratuity/tip" and allow it to cover any alcohol on the ship.

1 hour ago, erdoran said:

Agree with everything you said.  IMHO, its just one more thing.  If you were cruising NCL for the drink package, you were already cruising the wrong cruise line.  Carnival allows $20 per drink, includes bottled water, milkshakes, and specialty coffees.  Not to mention its significantly cheaper too.

I scoured NCL website and could not find anything in the Terms and Conditions for Premium Plus other than this, which is for the Sun and Sky 3-6 day sailings. It looks as though there may be some sailings where it can be a choice like in the pick 1-6 options depending on ship, sailing and category of cabin. 

HERE IS THE LINK: https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions#takeall

Premium Plus Beverage Package (3-6 Day Norwegian Sun & Sky Cruises)
Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation. 
Guests 1-2 regardless of age will receive the Premium Plus Beverage Package. However, guests under the age of 21 at the time of sailing, may not consume alcoholic beverages.
Eligible guests are entitled to two beverages per person per transaction. 
Includes all beverages by the glass. Beverage selection is subject to change onboard.
Includes select wines by the bottle when dining. 
Includes fountain soda, freshly squeezed juice, bottled water (flat and sparkling), non-alcoholic beer, and specialty coffee (specialty coffee inclusion shall be limited to dining rooms only).
A 40% discount will be given on bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included), Wine and Spirit Experiences, tastings or Flights purchased on board.
Offer is not applicable at Harvest Caye bars, restaurants, or venues.
Does not include: Wine and Spirit Experiences, tastings or Flights, specialty coffee outside of the restaurants, room service, mini bar purchases, wine dispenser or vending machines.
Guest's check may reflect applicable VAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries.
Guest is responsible for 20% gratuities on the retail value of the Premium Plus Beverage Package ($5.80 USD per person per day) prior to cruise.
Retail value of Premium Plus Beverage Package is $29.00 USD per person per day. Package price is subject to change.
No substitute for package if guest cannot consume all beverages included.

Hubby and I sail (all but once) exclusively in suites with 3 sailing in the GV. On a shorter cruise with a Haven bar, we could be interested in the Premium Package if we planned on not spending much time off the ship. Hubby loves the older, more costly liquors such as the Don Julio, which we have had at NO up charge  years ago on the Getaway in the Haven. If it was on the shelf, we would be served no extra cost. Was that the policy then, I don't think so but that is what we exoerienced. However, I also agree as a stockholder, a Platinum Plus and a suite cruise...throw the gosh darn Premind Plus in for suites. I'll even agree to pay the "service charge/gratuity/tip" and allow it to cover any alcohol on the ship.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, erdoran said:

https://www.ncl.com/about/contact-us

Here's the contact us page.  I think the OP in a different thread who started a big discussion had sent a snail mail letter.

The above link is now just a faq page with a feel free to call us at 866 234-7350 or click this button and we will call you. In the past you were able to actually type in a comment for them. This appears to have been a recent change.