Are the beds hard

mnkauf

Folks have complained that the beds are hard so it would be better to bring a foam mattress.  I think their beds are hard and I asked for the room attendant to add something to make it softer.  It added a layer of blankets which wasn't really enough. 

• Like 1

On Grandeur last month I had the attendant throw a couple of folded duvets on top of the mattress.  It worked ok...still hard but once they are compacted, they are no better than the mattress.  They need to be "fluffed" to stay soft.

I wouldn't use the word "hard", I'd call them FIRM.    You're not going to sink into the mattress like a soft foam one.   It support, but I have found every bed on RCL that I've been on quite comfortable.   We do have a firm mattress at home too.

Now Pillows....That's another story.  :classic_ohmy:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zdad59 said:

I wouldn't use the word "hard", I'd call them FIRM.    You're not going to sink into the mattress like a soft foam one.   It support, but I have found every bed on RCL that I've been on quite comfortable.   We do have a firm mattress at home too.

Now Pillows....That's another story.  :classic_ohmy:

Agree. Royal beds aren't as hard as was few years ago, but they are Firm. Can't make everyone happy, for me if were soft I'd prefer sleeping on Floor or the couch. I've traveled living in Hotels for 35yrs and have experienced that

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mnkauf said:

We will be cruising on Liberty of the Seas in March and read that some people think the beds are hard.  I do not like hard beds and trying to determine if I need to bring a foam mattress. 

Agree with zdad59 & ONECRUISER.

I was on Liberty in Nov 2018 and was concerned about the bed being to hard. I'm a side-sleeper & found the bed to be firm but comfortable. My wife is a back sleeper with back issues and found it to be comfortable as well. 

Then again, it could be a personal preference type thing, like  that taste of food or quality of shows.

On the "All Things Liberty" thread, someone had posted in Oct 2018 that the beds still use foam toppers.

People seem to complain about the beds a lot which has always surprised me as we’ve never noticed a problem and our mattress at home is soft.  The only problem I’ved had is with the crack in the middle of the two put together.  I’ve gotten stuck several times😂.  My husband has pretty much solved this for me by bringing some small clamps to keep them together.😀

Sherri🙂

• Haha 1

I find them hard, and sometimes wake up with a numb hip because I sleep soundly in one position at night.

I bought this recently for our upcoming cruises.  We currently have it on the bed where we are staying in an Airbnb for a while, and it's very comfortable.  The comfort level for me is 3" thick; $35.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Authentic-Comfort-3-Inch-Orthopedic-5-Zone-Foam-Mattress-Topper/40574078?selected=true

d9154aa0-7eca-424a-9824-e90d4f10aed6_1.5af0a08c46957c4c64a0d63bc6fc5c21.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

This is a queen size, and it folds/squishes/fits in our 24-26", single cavity suitcase.  Southwest = no charge.  Other airlines = it's worth the extra cost to us.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 4

yes they can be hard at times and takes a few nights to get use to.

However, it is that darn seam down the middle between the two beds.  I just round up a bunch of towels and cover the seam.

Then tell the steward you are doing this so it won't be removed.

Most comfortable bed I ever had was in the Cloud 9 SPA room on Carnival Vista.  What a dream........  

1 hour ago, CatLadyFemme said:

I cannot stand the beds and the stuff the attendants put on them now doesn't do anything. I bring a blow up camping pad to put under the sheets, and it is a game changer!

Totally agree. Last two cruises were in suites and no issues in those cabins. But we have a couple of balconies coming up and will be bringing our mattress toppers.

Hoping the Oasis on Sunday has a mattress topper on my bed. In case there is none and the room steward cannot supply one, I have packed a blow-up camping mattress for my bed!🤗

Edited by SilkySal
add
  • Like 1

We were on Liberty OTS last month. The bed was HARD, too hard, even after the steward put a foam pad on it. (And the pad was not as wide as the mattress.) Miserable. My hips were so sore I was happy to see the end of that cruise. Everything else about the cruise was wonderful. 

On 1/28/2019 at 3:25 PM, pcur said:

I find them hard, and sometimes wake up with a numb hip because I sleep soundly in one position at night.

I bought this recently for our upcoming cruises.  We currently have it on the bed where we are staying in an Airbnb for a while, and it's very comfortable.  The comfort level for me is 3" thick; $35.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Authentic-Comfort-3-Inch-Orthopedic-5-Zone-Foam-Mattress-Topper/40574078?selected=true

d9154aa0-7eca-424a-9824-e90d4f10aed6_1.5af0a08c46957c4c64a0d63bc6fc5c21.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

This is a queen size, and it folds/squishes/fits in our 24-26", single cavity suitcase.  Southwest = no charge.  Other airlines = it's worth the extra cost to us.

My parents are on a cruise right now. We got them the same one and used a space bag for it. They were able to put it right on top of thier clothes before they closed the suitcase! 

• Like 2