The plus and minus of the drink package?

nyhitmen

11 hours ago, nyhitmen said:

Well what drinks are free? I must have misread but I thought I say you can go into the buffet at anytime to grab a free coffee or something

Coffee, hot tea, iced tea, milk, tap water, lemonade, hot chocolate, and some juices at breakfast.

On our last cruise Royal DH and I both had the package (their version) It was worth it for us. I defiantly drank more than I normally do on a cruise but since it was over the whole day never got hammered. Including bottled water and coffee made it worth while for us.

This cruise on Horizon I am in a room with my 17 YO DD so I will buy it for me. DH is in a room with his dad who can not drink more than 1 maybe 2 a day so it would be a huge loss. DH will just pay for his drinks as he wants them. No way he could drink enough to make the 2 person purchase worth while since all adults have to buy it.

Never worth it for me personally. I'll have a couple of beers, maybe a glass of wine with dinner...maybe a can of Coke....the drinks never total enough to make it worth it.

Even if you just did the soda package, you need to drink A LOT of soda to make it worthwhile.

Never did Cheers.

Did the Premium package on Celebrity as a perk and it was amazing.  Never got drunk or hungover And I had to of had 12+ drinks, all premium liquor, every day . . . Over the course of 10 nights lol

I think that is the biggest benefit . . . .not having to ever think about a bar bill, and really enjoying something wherever and whenever on the ship.  If I wanted a bottled water and a Patron on the rocks, no problem.  A night of fancy martinis . . . .cool.  Coconut pool drinks, sure let me try that.  Afte dinner coffee with something extra . . .ok.

But if all you drink is 1 or 2 drinks . . . Just pay as you go.  Take some canned drinks of your choice on board and order some bottled water for the room and you can really save.

We are doing a 4 day cruise on the Sunrise over Thanksgiving and are gonna splurge on Cheers primarily because 3 of the 4 days are on the ship and the 4th day is at Grand Turk where we plan to be near the ship . . . .either at Margaritaville or the beach.  Roughly $490 . . . .we plan on getting our money’s worth at the Alchemy bar every night lol

But on a 7 nighter with 3 or 4 port days that I know I am gonna be away most of the day . . . .I rather bring my mixers on board, order a 1L bottle of Goose for the room and bottled water for the room and spend $150 on drinks during the week . . . .Probably cost me $275 total for me and DW . . . .but it sure is better than the $850 or so that I would normally spend for Cheers.

I'm not a heavy drinker, rarely drink soda, and mostly drink tap water and coffee at home. I'm perfectly fine with the two bottles of wine DH and I bring onboard (he doesn't drink wine so it's all for me), he orders a beer in the MDR probably two or three nights, and I will order one fruity drink at the poolside on the sea days. DH tried the same fruity drink as I did one day and didn't like it so I had two fruity drinks and felt not great...so yeah, I'm a lightweight. We'll bring on enough soda for the kids to each have one can a day which is a treat for them, and the rest of the time they'll have lemonade, which is also a treat for them as they usually just have milk or water at home. I spent a whopping $30 on alcohol on our last cruise, DH spent about the same, one of the kids had a shake at Johnny Rockets (RCL), and one daughter bought a $15 bracelet at a gift shop. Clearly we're big spenders 😉

Let's just dive into the numbers, $51.95/per person per day plus 18% in gratuity so that's $122.60/day total for two people or $367.81 total on a 3 day cruise or $858.21 on a 7 day cruise. 

Now what's the alternative?  Assuming we're playing by the rules, you can bring one bottle per person and can buy on board from the store and it gets delivered to you the last night of the cruise (if it's 6 days or more).  You can also purchase a Bon Voyage package which brings another bottle, flutes and some celebration decor to you room, cheapest is $69 and/or a bottle of Crown royal for $95.  Then there's the cruise the vineyard package which last I saw was $131 for five bottles of wine.

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Let's just dive into the numbers, $51.95/per person per day plus 18% in gratuity so that's $122.60/day total for two people or $367.81 total on a 3 day cruise or $858.21 on a 7 day cruise. 

Now what's the alternative?  Assuming we're playing by the rules, you can bring one bottle per person and can buy on board from the store and it gets delivered to you the last night of the cruise (if it's 6 days or more).  You can also purchase a Bon Voyage package which brings another bottle, flutes and some celebration decor to you room, cheapest is $69 and/or a bottle of Crown royal for $95.  Then there's the cruise the vineyard package which last I saw was $131 for five bottles of wine.

Keep in mind, most of the bottles are 1 liter. This is the about same cost as Cheers for one day, for two people. Most couples will not drink that much liquor in one day.

5 minutes ago, Gamecock_Cruiser said:

Plus: You drink enough to come out better than by the drink, you try new things you weren't normally try, it also includes none alcoholic drinks, and you can get top shelf!

Cons: You don't break even, the fact the you drink more just because you have cheers, cant use in port...

The “try new things” aspect is really a strong “plus” . . . .one that is overlooked frequently.

The can’t use in port is a strong “con” as well.  

I know for me if the cruise has 4 port days or more out of 7 . . . .I ain’t getting Cheers because I do too much on the island drinking.  Hell I may be tempted to stay on the ship . . . .which I really don’t want to do

Debating to get Cheers, my husband is a beer drinker and when we are out on deck sunning he likes to order buckets of beer.  I on the other hand like mixed drinks.  So with Cheers as it pertains to bucket of beers, will he be charged for 4 beers separately even you requested the bucket or do they have s special pricing on buckets.  

Just to add to this thread I am getting the idea lots of people drink on cruises. Do we have to worry about out of control people or do the cruise ships do a good job with security and making sure people who are out of control from drinking are dealt with?

3 minutes ago, nyhitmen said:

Just to add to this thread I am getting the idea lots of people drink on cruises. Do we have to worry about out of control people or do the cruise ships do a good job with security and making sure people who are out of control from drinking are dealt with?

After quite a few 7 day cruises on Carnival, I have seen thousands of people having fun in their own way and zero people I would describe as out of control or a problem.

Go forth, have fun, and come back to give us your impressions.

What I like most about it is that you never have to look at the prices of drinks. I can get literally whatever I want, and if I don't like it I can get something else. I usually at the very least break even. We're also big coffee drinkers and love using it at the coffee bar.

I wouldn't get it if you only plan to drink 1-2 alcoholic drinks a day.  That's the norm for DH and me, and even getting drinks at Alchemy (usually more expensive), our total bar bill for a 7 day cruise was around $200.

Don't let people bully you into thinking it's a better value because you also get soda, water, shakes, etc.  You virtually have to have a beverage of some sort in your hand at all hours of the day to come close to breaking even.

Pre-order water from the Fun Shops, then bring flavor enhancers in your luggage.  You can also carry on a 12 pack of soda per person in your carry on luggage.  We've done both, and found it to be more than sufficient for us.

Have a great time!

1 hour ago, James4me said:

............So with Cheers as it pertains to bucket of beers, will he be charged for 4 beers separately even you requested the bucket or do they have s special pricing on buckets.  

Unfortunately he won't be able to order a bucket of beer with Cheers since there is a 5 minute wait between alcoholic drinks.  I guess he could order one in a bucket of ice and then get 4 or 5 more at 5 minute intervals or have a server fetch them for him.

1 hour ago, hotsauce126 said:

What I like most about it is that you never have to look at the prices of drinks. I can get literally whatever I want, and if I don't like it I can get something else. I usually at the very least break even. We're also big coffee drinkers and love using it at the coffee bar.

This is me. Typically frugal or money conscience, I like the aspect of just ordering and not worrying about it.

12 hours ago, DramaQueen22 said:

You virtually have to have a beverage of some sort in your hand at all hours of the day to come close to breaking even.

Not really, If you add up what I would have paid for over the course of a typical cruise day if I was doing pay as you go adding 18%, it would be as follows:

2 coffee drinks and I will get a bottled water with the second (one first thing in the morning, another to take to breakfast) $9.73

I will have an Honest tea and either with lunch or taken ashore $4.13

I will have at least 4 cocktails throughout the evening along with a couple bottles of water: $47.20

Oh and with dinner, I like to have the San Pellegrino - 5.31

Total: $66.37

10 drinks over 14 to 16 hour day.

Edited by schazzy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, schazzy said:

Not really, If you add up what I would have paid for over the course of a typical cruise day if I was doing pay as you go adding 18%, it would be as follows:

2 coffee drinks and I will get a bottled water with the second (one first thing in the morning, another to take to breakfast) $9.73

I will have an Honest tea and either with lunch or taken ashore $4.13

I will have at least 4 cocktails throughout the evening along with a couple bottles of water: $47.20

Oh and with dinner, I like to have the San Pellegrino - 5.31

Total: $66.37

10 drinks over 14 to 16 hour day.

Are you charge 18% on every drink you get or just 18% per day on the total at the end of the day you spend?

Also who gives you your bill at the end of the cruise to review? do they slide it under the door like hotels?

9 minutes ago, nyhitmen said:

Are you charge 18% on every drink you get or just 18% per day on the total at the end of the day you spend?

Also who gives you your bill at the end of the cruise to review? do they slide it under the door like hotels?

You get charged 18% as you go.

Your sign and sail card gets charged - if it is associated with a credit card or debit card, it gets charged when you get back to home port, I believe.  If you pre-pay with cash, the amount get deducted from your balance. 

You aren't handed a "bill" at the end to pay - it is already charged (unless card got declined, etc).  You will get a summary "receipt" in your cabin mailbox on the last evening or morning of debarkation (can't remember which).  You can also check your charges/activity/balances using the HUB app throughout the cruise.

5 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

You get charged 18% as you go.

Your sign and sail card gets charged - if it is associated with a credit card or debit card, it gets charged when you get back to home port, I believe.  If you pre-pay with cash, the amount get deducted from your balance. 

You aren't handed a "bill" at the end to pay - it is already charged (unless card got declined, etc).  You will get a summary "receipt" in your cabin mailbox on the last evening or morning of debarkation (can't remember which).  You can also check your charges/activity/balances using the HUB app throughout the cruise.

Dumb question where is your cabin mailbox?

We're leaving on our first and only cruise this Sunday and we decided to purchase Cheers.  We used Carnival GCs purchased at a discount through AARP as well as some regular GCs.  We don't care if we break even.  We bought it for peace of mind.  We want to get top shelf and craft cocktails from Alchemy.  Don't want my husband to feel guilty if he wants a couple Cokes with dinner.  I drink tons of water so extra bottled water is a perk with this package.  I don't drink much coffee but if I'm going to have one, it's going to be a good one from the coffee bar.  Knowing that I can go grab whatever whenever it's just worth it for me.  We will see at the end of the week how it worked out.  Hoping they keep track even though it's paid for and give us an itemized receipt at the end.

3 minutes ago, Crazy4Camping said:

We're leaving on our first and only cruise this Sunday and we decided to purchase Cheers.  We used Carnival GCs purchased at a discount through AARP as well as some regular GCs.  We don't care if we break even.  We bought it for peace of mind.  We want to get top shelf and craft cocktails from Alchemy.  Don't want my husband to feel guilty if he wants a couple Cokes with dinner.  I drink tons of water so extra bottled water is a perk with this package.  I don't drink much coffee but if I'm going to have one, it's going to be a good one from the coffee bar.  Knowing that I can go grab whatever whenever it's just worth it for me.  We will see at the end of the week how it worked out.  Hoping they keep track even though it's paid for and give us an itemized receipt at the end.

IIRC, I did not get an itemized list of the Cheers purchases, only a list of the charges (if any), like added gratuity and in-port taxes.  So it would say something like (again, IIRC):

Alchemy Bar 1 Apr 2018 7:12pm 

Cheers $0.00

Added Grat $1.00

Taxes $0.60

Taxes are only collected when "in port" at a US port - your departure port, San Juan, US V.I., etc.  usually that is zero.