The beginning to the end?

We LOVE Belize!  Unbelievable snorkeling and scuba, Mayan sites, eco-friendly excursions, etc.  I cannot imagine Carnival completely excluding Belize.  Perhaps the bigger and new ships, with all the bells and whistles, tend to attract the cruisers that like to stay on ship during port days. The picked the Mardi Gras ports based on intended cruisers.  I noticed the 7-day Mardi Gras cruises on have 3 port days.  I don't think I would cruise her, as I want at least 4 port days.  We cruise for the ports mostly, not the ship.  It's ports like Belize that got us hooked on cruising.

On a side note, NCL has Harvest Caye port in Belize.

• Like 1

Well thank you everyone who responded to my query about going to the ruins or similar excursions.  My current plan, backed up by what was said here, is to take a Carnival excursion to some ruins, probably one that involves that boat ride on the river.  Using Carnival may be more expensive, but it means getting on a tender won't be a hassle, and timing will not be a worry.

OP, thanks for letting me hijack your thread, in a way!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

Belize is a fabulous port of call... if you are not a beach resort type or shopping mall type.  It is a country that is 75% natural environment/jungle much like Costa Rica.  They pride themselves on NOT developing the country up like others.  I would rather go there than places like Grand Cayman, myself, as there is little to do there but lay in sun or shop in expensive stores.  I can do that in Florida.  When I go on a cruise, I want exotic and adventure, I want to experience a culture different from my own, I want to feel like I am visiting a country, not just a fancy resort.  

So keep on trashing Belize all you want, it is one of my favorite ports, along with Roatan and Cozumel.  Been going there years before we started cruising, will continue to go there.  

Sounds a bit like DOMINICA -The Nature Island

where you def. don't go for the beaches, or to shop.......

The island is fairly wild...

DOM-241.jpg

DOM-242.jpg

DOM-243.jpg

DOM-268.jpg

DOMinica-232.jpg

DOMinica-Legend.jpg

1 minute ago, sfaaa said:

Belize is the only port where tender operators would openly and shamelessly asking for tip.

Well ,they hit me up GC as well   !  But I must admit I drove a tender back to the ship in Belize before.  Yea he did get a nice tip .

Belize is also one of my favorite ports with a beautiful countryside and friendly citizens.  I always venture outside of the port gates and using common sense have never had any issues.  We have done snorkeling on the reef, cave tubing, and a ruins tour (all non-ship excursions), with cave tubing being my favorite.

On our last stop there I took my wife's uncle outside the gate and an enterprising gentleman gave us a private tour of the city in his car and we ended our tour with a stop in a couple of bars to get a local beer (Belikin).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sfaaa said:

Belize is the only port where tender operators would openly and shamelessly asking for tip.

On our tender over, they waited until we got to the dock to stand by the gangway with the tip bucket so you could drop tips in as you got off and that was fine. On the tender back on yhe other hand, the captain got on his little PA system right after we pulled away from the dock and proceeded to introduce himself and his crew, cracked a few jokes and then began to tell us how hard his crew works and all the little mouths they have to feed and for us to remember to show our appreciation for them by dropping a little something in the bucket for them. His crew then began to pass around tip buckets like ushers with offering plates. That was a little much.

24 minutes ago, schazzy said:

On our tender over, they waited until we got to the dock to stand by the gangway with the tip bucket so you could drop tips in as you got off and that was fine. On the tender back on yhe other hand, the captain got on his little PA system right after we pulled away from the dock and proceeded to introduce himself and his crew, cracked a few jokes and then began to tell us how hard his crew works and all the little mouths they have to feed and for us to remember to show our appreciation for them by dropping a little something in the bucket for them. His crew then began to pass around tip buckets like ushers with offering plates. That was a little much.

I'm not sure that I could really find fault in that they asked for tips.  Nor could I find fault in you feeling the way you do.

Belize people are desperate for money and it's always shown  . I feel for the people that's for sure and I have been known to tip them extra.  But still its a very ,very dangerous place because of the poverty .

Edited by BoDidly

13 minutes ago, BoDidly said:

I'm not sure that I could really find fault in that they asked for tips.  Nor could I find fault in you feeling the way you do.

Belize people are desperate for money and it's always shown  . I feel for the people that's for sure and I have been known to tip them extra.  But still its a very ,very dangerous place because of the poverty .

Trust me, I understand that, it was very clear when we shopped at the little marketplace at the Altun Ha ruins. They assisted us quite well in getting rid of that pesky cash we had and we are the proud owners of a collection of several handcrafted items now. We did also tipped on the tenders and our tour guides, but it was only on the tender ride back that we were straight up asked and practicality guilted for tips.

9 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

We are heading to Belize in April 2020 on Legend.  I have browsed the Ports of Call area of course, but since it was mentioned here specifically, what did all of you enjoy about Belize?  We were thinking of a tour of one of the ruins.  I gather than just hanging around in the port area is pointless/dangerous.

We have done the Altun Ha and River Wallace tour (one of the few times we booked an excursion through the cruiseline) and I recommend this tour.  The cave tubing tours present a really unique experience and I recommend it as well (cruiseline or private).  Our favorite tour in Belize was the Shark Alley and Caulker Caye tour:  AWESOME!  Love the little island of Caulker Caye.

Here are links to my picture-heavy reviews with Belize port of call:

Shark Ray Alley and Caulker Caye begins at post #98

Cave tubing begins at post #28

4 hours ago, BoDidly said:

I’ve only ever tendered in Cayman but it would’ve seemed so out of place for the shuttle operator to request a tip. 

15 hours ago, BoDidly said:

Well ,they hit me up GC as well   !  But I must admit I drove a tender back to the ship in Belize before.  Yea he did get a nice tip .

How did you explain the scratches along the side of the ship?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, BoDidly said:

We hated this too.  Obviously we have sympathy for poverty,  but it was weird and offputting, almost threatening.  Everyone around us was rolling their eyes, and I didn't see anyone tip as they got off.  And the tenders in Belieze are gross.  They pack too many people on them, and if you are on the first floor, there is no air.  We've never been asked for tips in Cayman.

22 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

Belieze is our least liked port of all time.   You would never know that place was once owned by the British.  Nassau is Disneyland compared to Belize.  I would love if they would replace the westerns out of Galveston and New Orleans with a different port.

They are working on moving an island closer, but that takes time....