Preferred itinerary

teddyton

I am looking at 2 cruises.  Each has a different itinerary. But I would like some opinions.  We are not huge excursions type people but we do like to get off and walk around the port areas.  I love to snorkel and DH will go along but not participate.   I am just looking for opinions on preferences on ports. 

One is 8 days Key West, Freeport, Half Moon Cay, Nassau other is 7 days Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel. I just wondering what the thoughts are on locations. 

For getting out and walking around. Key West and Nassau are the best I have been to. I saw tons of sites in Key West and Nassau just walking around. I haven't done the other route yet but I'm booking excursions in Grand Cayman and Montego. Cozumel I've done a ton of times. You can walk around the port area but to see anything else you'd need to take a cab downtown. You can see the sites I saw in Key West starting on page 10 of my review and Nassau starting on page 17 of my review. Freeport was less impressive but is on page 16.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2578851-carnival-dream-live-aug-26-sep-2-nola-to-eastern-carib-fun-times-menus-etc/

Edited by Saint Greg

Some things to consider: I love Key West, but it is a short day there. However plenty to do just walking around. 

I love Cozumel too, mainly for Mr. Sanchos. 

I would go for the 8 day because it's one more day I get to cruise! If you've already paid for the flight why not take advantage and squeeze out one more day of fun?!

As others have said, 8 days is better than 7 days.  However,  Grand Cayman is the best port of the ones you listed for just walking around in my opinion. Key West is nice too, but as someone already mentioned, Carnival ships tend to get there early and not stay very long. 

What time of year are you planning to do this Cruise? If it were me, and I was looking at a summer cruise, I would absolutely select the itinerary with Key West and Half Moon Cay. If I were going in the winter time, I would absolutely choose the other itinerary. I have been to the Bahamas over Christmas, and it was a bit chilly to swim for any prolonged period. Christmas in Cozumel and Grand Cayman was toasty warm. However, the four stops would be a big selling point for me over three steps.

4 hours ago, teddyton said:

I am looking at 2 cruises.  Each has a different itinerary. But I would like some opinions.  We are not huge excursions type people but we do like to get off and walk around the port areas.  I love to snorkel and DH will go along but not participate.   I am just looking for opinions on preferences on ports. 

One is 8 days Key West, Freeport, Half Moon Cay, Nassau other is 7 days Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel. I just wondering what the thoughts are on locations. 

Hi

Definitely, the 7 day cruise is a better option for anyone who likes snorkeling. You don't mention when you will be going, but if it is during winter, again the 7 day cruise would be the better choice. The Bahamas and can be cold in winter (especially for swimming). The better choice is generally the Caribbean, you are almost always guaranteed warm waters.

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

As others have said, 8 days is better than 7 days.  However,  Grand Cayman is the best port of the ones you listed for just walking around in my opinion. Key West is nice too, but as someone already mentioned, Carnival ships tend to get there early and not stay very long. 

Funny you should say that. It’s true we left key west at 4pm when I was there on the Dream...but on my upcoming vista cruise, we’re scheduled to leave grand cayman at 3pm...and it’s elegant night.

On 1/31/2019 at 1:19 PM, teddyton said:

Do you want the Caribbean or the Atlantic?

• 3 weeks later...

The Bahama's would be my least favorite - Freeport is not a great port of call and Nassau is just so-so IMO.  Key West is very nice but I would sacrifice that for MoBay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel, even thought that itinerary is one day less. Just be aware that Grand Cayman is a tender port, so there is extra time involved getting to and from between the pier and the ship.

On 1/31/2019 at 1:19 PM, teddyton said:

Time of year would be a factor for me - as someone else posted, do you want Atlantic or Caribbean?

Freeport has nice options if you take an excursion or taxi, but not much in port.  HMC is beautiful for a beach day, but the water is so clear and the sand so soft there isn't much to see snorkeling (although most good snorkeling you need an excursion).  Nassau has a lot of pushy vendors right at the port, but is a more walkable area once you get a little bit away. 

I'm not experienced with the other ports to give a specific opinion.  We've done Freeport and Nassau in late Feb/early March and September and didn't mind the water temps either time, but many will say it is too cold.

Ship amenities, times in port (Freeport is sometimes very brief), and departure port would likely sway my decision (assuming prices are similar).  If you use a drink package, the 7 day would likely cost less than the 8.

I missed some of the posts before.  I would probably want to try NOLA instead of Galveston for both trying a different ship and enjoying some time as a tourist enjoying the local food and culture either pre or post cruise.  Galveston would only be 6 days for Cheers though unless TX rules changed.

For May the air temps should be good, but Atlantic water temps might be a little cool still.  We were fine with Feb. water though, so it is very subjective.