Odyssey of the Seas Blocks are in the House

Lloyd555

9 minutes ago, sgerth said:

We are on the March 26, 2021 sailing in one of the aft junior suites.  Love looking at those aft photo shots.

We're on the Nov 28 2020 sailing we have our fingers crossed 🤞

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Quote from a business update Royal provided today. 

The company believes COVID-19 has impacted shipyard operations and will result in delivery delays of ships previously planned for delivery in 2020 and  

2021https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22916-royal-caribbean-provides-business-update.html

Hopefully they refer to other shipyards, which are indeed affected, such as Turku (i.e. Icon-class) and Chantiers de l'Atlantique (i.e. Wonder of the Seas). On the other hand, there's no other ship, besides Odyssey, expected for delivery in 2020 😞

4 minutes ago, sergioag said:

Hopefully they refer to other shipyards, which are indeed affected, such as Turku (i.e. Icon-class) and Chantiers de l'Atlantique (i.e. Wonder of the Seas). On the other hand, there's no other ship, besides Odyssey, expected for delivery in 2020 😞

It was the 2020 that led me to the unfortunate conclusion that they were referring to Odyssey....there goes my first inaugural. 

Although I agree this almost definitely means Odyssey will be delayed....RCCL owns 4 cruise lines. Does one of the other 3 have a ship scheduled for delivery in 2020?  Probably not but trying to maintain hope. 

6 minutes ago, yzfmik said:

Although I agree this almost definitely means Odyssey will be delayed....RCCL owns 4 cruise lines. Does one of the other 3 have a ship scheduled for delivery in 2020?  Probably not but trying to maintain hope. 

Apex was already delivered and Silversea has 2 for the third quarter. 

97B2D87D-2D6E-49BD-A131-926988562481.jpeg

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Apex was already delivered and Silversea has 2 for the third quarter. 

[image removed]

That would make sense, taking into account that basically all shipyards were affected except for Meyer Werft. There are many ships expected to be delivered for 2020 and 2021, all of them affected except, supposedly, Odyssey.

There was a "round table" with the state minister for economy yesterday in Lower Saxonia regarding the Meyer Werft. Here´s a German article about this talk. More interesting is the short news video linked in this article (unfortunately it´s also in German). But there they say they might delay the delivery of the two newbuilts of this year (meaning the Spirit of Adventure for Saga and of course the Odyssey of the Seas) until 2021. Meyer is talking about this with the cruise lines. No decisions are made yet. But it´s a possibility.

And the same over here as in the US regarding the cruise lines: Meyer has officially moved the company to Luxemburg in 2015 (for tax reasons of course). So some are complaining about why should the state of Lower Saxonia help Meyer when they moved to Luxemburg. Yeah, the jobs are still in Lower Saxonia... and all the ships are for non German companies and are subsidized by the country of Germany.... (yes, AIDA ships are owned by Costa... so they are not German).

steamboats

10 minutes ago, poshbeer said:

Odyssey appears on Southampton vts this week along with some other royal Caribbean ships. Appears to be from Oct 23 to 25th.  

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

I would not trust that port schedules have been updated to reflect the changing situation. 

9 hours ago, yzfmik said:

yes, Silversea is taking delivery of Origin (for all

practical purposes a sister ship to Celebrity’s Flora) later this month. Scheduled inaugural cruise in July. We’ll see if that holds, but for now it is. 

even so, this will likely have an impact on delivery schedules for Wonder, Beyond, and Icon. A lot gets done On a shipyard in 3 months, and there’s only so much that can be made up. 

the entire drydock schedule has been thrown into the blender as well. 

11 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It was the 2020 that led me to the unfortunate conclusion that they were referring to Odyssey....there goes my first inaugural. 

Ditto. I hope we are wrong.

• Like 1

If Odyssey is delayed it may not be for that long given that they are already doing cabins (as indicated from Lloyd's photos above). On the other hand it could be a choice of RCI to deliberately delay the delivery by working with the Shipyard for a later date.  

I think for Royal and other cruise lines, the best way to get people excited about cruising again is to start putting out new material and updates on their new builds such as Odyssey, Wonder, Icon and etc. 

8 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

I think for Royal and other cruise lines, the best way to get people excited about cruising again is to start putting out new material and updates on their new builds such as Odyssey, Wonder, Icon and etc. 

At least when feasible. Odyssey, yes. Wonder, probably. Icon... too far out. They must strike a balance between giving people something new and exciting, and reducing capital expenditure because of the upcoming recession.

4 minutes ago, sergioag said:

At least when feasible. Odyssey, yes. Wonder, probably. Icon... too far out. They must strike a balance between giving people something new and exciting, and reducing capital expenditure because of the upcoming recession.

I agree with your point to strike a balance and reducing capital expenditure. The latter may more affect Icon of three ships above only due to were it is in the current build cycle. Knowing RCI, I doubt they will cut back a lot of the design elements as they like to Wow their cruisers. But yes we are in a different time right now so you never know. 

11 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

I agree with your point to strike a balance and reducing capital expenditure. The latter may more affect Icon of three ships above only due to were it is in the current build cycle. Knowing RCI, I doubt they will cut back a lot of the design elements as they like to Wow their cruisers. But yes we are in a different time right now so you never know. 

I think it will depend on how bookings are for 2021 (which they said so far seem normal), how they develop (i.e. maybe people will cancel next month.... you get the idea) and how cruising goes after they resume operations. All this timing doesn't fare well for Odyssey, as they probably have to make a decision right now (unless of course Meyer Werft is delayed) with inaccurate/incomplete information (which is normal, given this is a never-seen on-development situation). That same decision may affect other ships to be delivered later, but since they are far out, they can probably be expedited later if needed. I don't think Odyssey would have that chance, though it's the one closest to completion, so that's a plus.

1 hour ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

If Odyssey is delayed it may not be for that long given that they are already doing cabins (as indicated from Lloyd's photos above). On the other hand it could be a choice of RCI to deliberately delay the delivery by working with the Shipyard for a later date. 

It has nothing to do with the progress of the construction. The Iona is more or less finished but no hand over to P&O yet and that´s when Meyer is getting app. 80% of the cost. So in worst case the Odyessey is completed and will sit in Bremerhaven like the Iona is doing right now.

The Spirit of Adventure is due for summer... Saga is trying to keep the older ship (Saga Sapphire) which was supposed to leave the fleet.

So for RCI taking the Odyssey this year will reduce their cash... and RCCL already had to take the Celebrity Apex. So it would be in the interest of RCI to delay the hand over til 2021 as then they don´t have to pay for the ship.

But as said before neither Meyer nor RCI have disclosed any information about a delay of the Odyssey yet.

steamboats

17 minutes ago, steamboats said:

So for RCI taking the Odyssey this year will reduce their cash... and RCCL already had to take the Celebrity Apex. So it would be in the interest of RCI to delay the hand over til 2021 as then they don´t have to pay for the ship.

That depends on the financing conditions and the shipyard contract. It may or not be the case. Of course there are countless other possibilities....