Odyssey of the Seas Blocks are in the House

Lloyd555

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

has nothing to do with the progress of the construction. The Iona is more or less finished but no hand over to P&O yet and that´s when Meyer is getting app. 80% of the cost. So in worst case the Odyessey is completed and will sit in Bremerhaven like the Iona is doing right now.

This is on point and I think we are all kind of saying the same thing essentially. Both Meyer and Royal are talking about what is the "optimal time" for delivery that works for both given the cruising times we are in and the payment that has to be made. We here don't know what/when that is. 

If it's delayed, I will be sorry for all our good friends here including Ken who where looking forward to an Inaugural  sailing on Odyssey. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

This is on point and I think we are all kind of saying the same thing essentially. Both Meyer and Royal are talking about what is the "optimal time" for delivery that works for both given the cruising times we are in and the payment that has to be made. We here don't know what/when that is. 

If it's delayed, I will be sorry for all our good friends here including Ken who where looking forward to an Inaugural  sailing on Odyssey. 

Unfortunately, this certainly seems to be the case.

12 hours ago, sergioag said:

That depends on the financing conditions and the shipyard contract. It may or not be the case. Of course there are countless other possibilities....

It´s common practice that the cruise line pays app. 20% during the construction phase and 80% at the time of delivery.

steamboats

On 5/9/2020 at 1:59 PM, steamboats said:

It has nothing to do with the progress of the construction. The Iona is more or less finished but no hand over to P&O yet and that´s when Meyer is getting app. 80% of the cost. So in worst case the Odyessey is completed and will sit in Bremerhaven like the Iona is doing right now.

The Spirit of Adventure is due for summer... Saga is trying to keep the older ship (Saga Sapphire) which was supposed to leave the fleet.

So for RCI taking the Odyssey this year will reduce their cash... and RCCL already had to take the Celebrity Apex. So it would be in the interest of RCI to delay the hand over til 2021 as then they don´t have to pay for the ship.

But as said before neither Meyer nor RCI have disclosed any information about a delay of the Odyssey yet.

steamboats

I can see P&O not taking Iona there is nothing they could do with her till everyone starts sailing again, on the other hand if there sailing by September or October I'm thinking it would make sence to take delivery of Odyssey looking at the sailings out of Ft Lauderdale  they are all almost full sailings.  Just me with a wee bit of hope she will sail in November

1 hour ago, dalee21860 said:

I can see P&O not taking Iona there is nothing they could do with her till everyone starts sailing again, on the other hand if there sailing by September or October I'm thinking it would make sence to take delivery of Odyssey looking at the sailings out of Ft Lauderdale  they are all almost full sailings.  Just me with a wee bit of hope she will sail in November

Although it´s a little off topic... P&O is more for the UK market and sailing full like the ships out of FL. I saw quite a few posts on IG by mainly nautical crew which is already onboard and eager to sail. But so far nothing... The first cruise were planned for May and the naming cermony for early June (and had been postponed already). The ship might have had minor delays right at the end but it should be ready for hand over in the meantime. So it´s all up to the Carnival Corp to take the delivery.

steamboats

During a call with investors, Royal Caribbean International CEO Michael Bayley announced later today that the cruise line will cancel all sailings through July 31, 2020.

Edited by Lloyd555

1 hour ago, Lloyd555 said:

During a call with investors, Royal Caribbean International CEO Michael Bayley announced later today that the cruise line will cancel all sailings through July 31, 2020.

https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/98/royal-caribbean-ltd-extends-suspension-of-cruisingrnnbsp/

On the earnings call it was also stated that the new build schedule will be forever impacted and there will be no catch up. They also stated that fleet departures will certainly be accelerated. 

Edited by kwokpot

3 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

On the earnings call it was also stated that the new build schedule will be forever impacted and there will be no catch up. They also stated that fleet departures will certainly be accelerated. 

Did they mentioned anything specific about any ship?

7 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

They had no comments

Too bad, but that's how corporate works these days. Hopefully they will soon come out clean about the Odyssey and others.

Edited by sergioag

• 2 weeks later...

This doesn’t look like it will be good news for the Odyssey.

Saga's new Spirit of Adventure won't debut in August, according to a statement from the company.

A Saga spokesperson said: “The Meyer Werft shipyard in Germany, which is building the Spirit of Adventure, has informed us that the ship will not now be delivered in time for our planned maiden voyage. Progress has been severely impacted by the workplace and travel restrictions in place as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

"We have written to our customers to let them know and offered them the chance of amending over to the new date once confirmed or to receive a full refund. An inaugural cruise is a very special event and we expect the majority of our guests will want to amend their bookings to the later date. We will continue to work with Meyer Werft on finalising a new delivery date.”

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23027-saga-s-new-spirit-of-adventure-is-delayed.html

37 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

This doesn’t look like it will be good news for the Odyssey.

Saga's new Spirit of Adventure won't debut in August, according to a statement from the company.

Very possible as she was ahead of Odyssey on the delivery schedule. With the limit of staff that can work in the yard, the construction will slow down some.

26 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Very possible as she was ahead of Odyssey on the delivery schedule. With the limit of staff that can work in the yard, the construction will slow down some.

Yes, she was ahead by a few months. Due to be delivered in August.  The part that they quoted the shipyard on saying “Progress has been severely impacted by the workplace and travel restrictions in place as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.“ I assume would apply to all ships they are working on.  They don’t usually have a lot of extra time in the build schedule to make up for shortfalls especially if they can’t really increase the number of workers. 

This  coupled with comments from executives at Royal been though they don’t mention specific ships lead me to believe that she will be delayed.  I hope I’m wrong as I’m on the inaugural. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

On 5/9/2020 at 12:02 PM, Tall-Cruiser said:

If Odyssey is delayed it may not be for that long given that they are already doing cabins (as indicated from Lloyd's photos above).

On 5/9/2020 at 1:59 PM, steamboats said:

It has nothing to do with the progress of the construction

To say the ship will be done soon, "because they are already doing cabins" shows a misunderstanding of the labor intensive nature of connecting those modular cabins into the ship's infrastructure; electrical, plumbing, and HVAC, and with three distinct trades involved, and social distancing implemented, this is going to be slower than normal.  While the yard never shut down, the rules put in place to keep operating had to significantly slow work, and I would expect that if it is a question of when the ship is finished, and given that RCI has a cash flow problem, that no overtime will be authorized, and therefore, the slow pace will continue, and the ship will be a minimum of 2 months overdue, perhaps more.

• Like 2

I hope they are able to offer a revised timeline soon.  I'd also like to see booking protection for the revised inaugural sailing assuming it will remain to sail from Port Everglades.

If it's delayed long enough they may just keep her in Europe and use the existing Rome based bookings to become the inaugural.  At some point it's not going to be worth bringing her across empty only to sail back a short time later for her summer in Italy.  That's assuming Italy is allowing cruises 11 months from now.  

Interesting times.  Only time will tell.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

To say the ship will be done soon, "because they are already doing cabins" shows a misunderstanding of the labor intensive nature of connecting those modular cabins into the ship's infrastructure; electrical, plumbing, and HVAC, and with three distinct trades involved, and social distancing implemented, this is going to be slower than normal.  While the yard never shut down, the rules put in place to keep operating had to significantly slow work, and I would expect that if it is a question of when the ship is finished, and given that RCI has a cash flow problem, that no overtime will be authorized, and therefore, the slow pace will continue, and the ship will be a minimum of 2 months overdue, perhaps more.

Always a pleasure to read you Chief! Not many good news this time, but nothing to be done. I still carry some hope that we will cruise on January, but not too sure about that. Will be interesting to know when/if RCI will make the announcement.

14 hours ago, twangster said:

If it's delayed long enough they may just keep her in Europe and use the existing Rome based bookings to become the inaugural.  At some point it's not going to be worth bringing her across empty only to sail back a short time later for her summer in Italy.  That's assuming Italy is allowing cruises 11 months from now.

That’s my fear as well.  I thought it was a great move by Saga to offer those on the Inaugural the chance to move over to the new Inaugural and like you hoping Royal does the same. 

• Like 1

Interesting thought about canceling all early cruises out of the US, and just sailing out of Rome. 

We are booked on a B2B from Fort Lauderdale, leaving 4/3/21 and 4/9/21  The second leg of out cruise returnes back to Fort Lauderdale on 4/17/21. The Odyssey will leave the same day for her transatlantic. 

I thought I was safe if the Odyssey is delivered late.  It never dawned on me that she may not sail out of Fort Lauderdale at all during late 2020 or early 2021!

Stay safe everyone!

Edited by loug1601
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, twangster said:

I hope they are able to offer a revised timeline soon.  I'd also like to see booking protection for the revised inaugural sailing assuming it will remain to sail from Port Everglades.

Interesting times.  Only time will tell.  

RCL likely will not need the added capacity this winter anyhow, as they first need to start deploying their exisiting fleet. I guess if they could defer the delivery by first introducing the ship next year for the European season they happily will do so.

Looking at the pace things are developing currently in Europe and Italy, they might even allow cruises already this summer..The other question will be, will any cruiseline be sailing though. I have a feeling yes, but if RCL will be amongst them time will tell.