Odyssey of the Seas Blocks are in the House

Lloyd555

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

Meyer will deliver Iona in second half of June, this is just 1.5 months delay. Odyssey could be ready with a similar delay but the question is if Royal wants her at that time or later.

I think it would depend on the length of the delay.  She is already heavily booked at premium prices. You don’t necessarily want to give up those bookings, plus the media and the exposure and positive note that it will project. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I think it would depend on the length of the delay.  She is already heavily booked at premium prices. You don’t necessarily want to give up those bookings, plus the media and the exposure and positive note that it will project. 

My point is that many posters assume Meyer is responsible for a big delay but this is not the case. They could even speed up now with e.g. overtime work now but cruise lines are asking for later deliveries.Hence the yard remains on short time work and does layoffs.

55 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

My point is that many posters assume Meyer is responsible for a big delay but this is not the case. They could even speed up now with e.g. overtime work now but cruise lines are asking for later deliveries.Hence the yard remains on short time work and does layoffs.

The yard is allowed back at 100% of their workforce for capacity and then increase that with overtime.?

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

I agree that Meyer Werft will be responsible for about 2 months delay (see my comment about overtime below), and anything further than that would more likely be a "slow down" agreement with RCI.

24 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The yard is allowed back at 100% of their workforce for capacity and then increase that with overtime.?

I am not sure whether or not the yard is at full employment or not, but there are social distancing requirements which will slow things down on the job site (i.e. less people working closely together).  Germany has some strange laws regarding overtime.  I was in a shipyard once in Bremerhaven, and we had a boiler failure that was going to impact our float out date, and we asked the yard to put an additional shift on it.  They said they had to  go to the state or federal government to present why they wanted to give overtime to existing employees instead of hiring additional employees.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I would think Royal would want her because she's a new class of ship for Florida and would boost bookings.

That was more important pre Covid.

Kind of like building a Terminal for Allure in Galveston, or heck, Amplified Allure plans.

3 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Seems to be a lot of fires lately🤔

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I agree that Meyer Werft will be responsible for about 2 months delay (see my comment about overtime below), and anything further than that would more likely be a "slow down" agreement with RCI.

I am not sure whether or not the yard is at full employment or not, but there are social distancing requirements which will slow things down on the job site (i.e. less people working closely together).  Germany has some strange laws regarding overtime.  I was in a shipyard once in Bremerhaven, and we had a boiler failure that was going to impact our float out date, and we asked the yard to put an additional shift on it.  They said they had to  go to the state or federal government to present why they wanted to give overtime to existing employees instead of hiring additional employees.

The law regarding overtime is pretty straight and clear. The works council needs to approve it, not the government. This is usually no problem but not reasonable if you do layoffs at the same time. Meyer could work faster now again even with implemented social distancing, but no need as all cruise lines ask for much later delivery.

17 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

What date will Odyssey start sailing out of Florida?

17 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Was supposed to be Nov. 5

Thanks.  Looking forward to our February 2021 cruise on the Odyssey.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tough as Leather said:

Lloyd555

I saw that you finally booked an Odyssey of the Seas cruise!!

Yup.

Looking forward to it!

And going to CocoCay for the first time!

Edited by Lloyd555

One thing is for sure, any changes to the inaugural date means more refunds and cancellations to process. 

Some delay is inevitable but once announced they've got more money to give back so I suspect they won't be in a hurry to announce a revised date.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, twangster said:

One thing is for sure, any changes to the inaugural date means more refunds and cancellations to process. 

Some delay is inevitable but once announced they've got more money to give back so I suspect they won't be in a hurry to announce a revised date.  

I just hope they announce the delay prior to our final payment date.  Yesterday I booked Oasis for November 4th....sadly I needed to go for my plan B 😞

4 hours ago, twangster said:

More importantly.....can I still get all the goodies from the inaugural sailing?  I need more tchotchkes to dust!  🤣 

Airlines stated they had capacity limits yet some flights are full with zero empty seats, middle seats are occupied. 

Launch is a long time away, only time will tell what or if capacity limits will apply.   

• Like 4