Cruise Critic Community
harryw

Poor Quality of Cruise Workers’ Food

We tend to often chat with bartenders and bar servers.

They tell us their food on the ship is not bad ... just too much of the same things with very little variety.

I remember talking with one of our room stewards about about crew food.  I was told the food was good, but the menu was repetitive.  I was left with the impression you could tell what day of the week it was by what was being served.

I've heard the same thing as others above when talking with our waiters and stewards. Not bad, but repetitive, but I wonder if they would actually tell us the whole truth while they are working. They've been trained to give us the appearance that everything is perfect, even if we had to abandon ship, life is still perfect, so it makes me wonder. . . .  🙂

On a Celebrity kitchen tour many years ago I was told that foreign crew often cooked their native dishes onboard... 

"Poor quality" is in the mouth of the beholder.  Having taken a LONG cruise, I found the passenger menus to get "repetitive", as well, and I longed for some 'home-cooked" food by the end of the trip.

If you're eating the same stuff for months at a time, even "haute cuisine" will lose it's luster after a while!

My take is that food quality is way way down on the list of hardships . Long hours, very limited & crowded personal space, months away from loved ones  and work conflicts are all much bigger issues . In short , working on a cruise ship is difficult though considered a prized position in many parts of the world . Staff food is a minor issue . 

n my last cruise when I asked my room attendant if he was going into the port  for time off his answer was " yes I need to eat as I am tired of mess food"