flights from newark n.j. to amsterdam

gfargo53

we are taking a 12 nt.baltic cruise in august 2019 flying from Newark to amsterdam

we usually fly united or American as we look at prices now most are in the $1100.00

per person range.we want a flight home from Amsterdam around 11-12 pm to feel

safe getting from ship to airport.any seasoned travelers out there think the price will

ever drop to around the $800.00 per person range

1 hour ago, gfargo53 said:

any seasoned travelers out there think the price will

ever drop to around the $800.00 per person range

The answer is a solid maybe.  Or maybe not.  I'm not trying to be a smart aleck but no one knows for sure, it's just a guessing game.  August is still peak season for Europe, and flights have been on sale for a 4 or 5 months now so if ticket sales are at or above where the airline was hoping at this point, and continue on that path, you won't likely see prices drop.  If not, then maybe you WILL see lower prices at some point.  Whether they are for your exact travel dates is another guessing game though.  You'll have the best chance of scoring a lower price if you keep a constant eye on prices and are prepared to hit "purchase" immediately if you do see a lower price, are open to flying other airlines, or are willing to spend a night post-cruise in order to take advantage of an earlier morning flight home, as those are often less money.

• Like 1

No one knows, but you should be including JFK into the search, and PHL too if you are somewhat close to PHL. But if you can go to EWR you can certainly go to JFK. 

That is a bit steep of a price, my gut (which means nothing) says it would go down some. But who knows. I agree with the other poster that the cheapest flights are likely already sold. My last Euro cruise which was last August, I purchased my tickets in October 2017 for the August 2018 cruise. Got a great price. 

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, trixiee said:

looking at booking a HAL cruise... would an 11:55 am flight home be a safe bet?

What port, what ship, what itinerary, what dates, what airport, what airline?

Sorry....Kreskin in not in at the moment.

On 2/8/2019 at 11:23 AM, gfargo53 said:

thank you all for your answers we will keep watching prices

and if they drop a little we will book them

Is your cruise not actually booked yet, or are you planning to cancel it if airline prices don't drop?

3 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Is your cruise not actually booked yet, or are you planning to cancel it if airline prices don't drop?

cruise is booked and paid in full hotel in Amsterdam booked and paid in full

just waiting for airfare to drop 

On 2/8/2019 at 4:23 PM, gfargo53 said:

and if they drop a little we will book them

2 hours ago, gfargo53 said:

just waiting for airfare to drop 

Add me to the list of people wondering what you are going to do if air fares don't drop, and then start going up as they normally tend to do as your travel date gets closer.

When is your final moment at which you're prepared to take the plunge at the current price? Do you have one?

And what if fares go up by $200. Are you going to wait longer for prices to come down? Or are you going to buy at $1,300? And if it's the case that in those circumstances you will then think that $1,300 is an acceptable price, then why is $1,100 an unacceptable price now?

It's been a while since I posted this little decision making flow chart of sorts, but this seems like a good time:

Question #1:

Are you willing and able to pay more than the current price if ticket prices only go up?

If yes, wait for a possible price drop and if it doesn't happen, suck it up and pay the higher price.

If no, ask yourself question #2.

Question #2:

Are  willing and able to pay the current price?

If yes, buy now because they might go up in the future and you already said you won't/can't pay a higher price.

If no, ask yourself question #3.

Question #3:

Are you willing to cancel the cruise if prices do not go down?

If yes, wait for a possible price drop, and note the deadline to cancel your cruise (and hotel) without penalty in case prices don't drop.

If no, you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

9 minutes ago, ecslady said:

I've flown from EWR to Amsterdam on Delta.  I have also done IcelandAir with a stop-over in Iceland. Sometimes, it's much more economical.

Interesting, I never knew DL flew anything longhaul out of Newark. When was this?

On 2/2/2019 at 6:57 PM, waterbug123 said:

The answer is a solid maybe.  Or maybe not.  I'm not trying to be a smart aleck but no one knows for sure, it's just a guessing game.  August is still peak season for Europe, and flights have been on sale for a 4 or 5 months now so if ticket sales are at or above where the airline was hoping at this point, and continue on that path, you won't likely see prices drop.  If not, then maybe you WILL see lower prices at some point.  Whether they are for your exact travel dates is another guessing game though.  You'll have the best chance of scoring a lower price if you keep a constant eye on prices and are prepared to hit "purchase" immediately if you do see a lower price, are open to flying other airlines, or are willing to spend a night post-cruise in order to take advantage of an earlier morning flight home, as those are often less money.

found flights this morning $792.00 per person rt ewr-ams glad I was able to hold out for a while

thank you for your response 

On 3/6/2019 at 12:51 PM, Globaliser said:

Add me to the list of people wondering what you are going to do if air fares don't drop, and then start going up as they normally tend to do as your travel date gets closer.

When is your final moment at which you're prepared to take the plunge at the current price? Do you have one?

And what if fares go up by $200. Are you going to wait longer for prices to come down? Or are you going to buy at $1,300? And if it's the case that in those circumstances you will then think that $1,300 is an acceptable price, then why is $1,100 an unacceptable price now?

booked flights this morning on united $792.00 per person rt ewr-ams

On 3/6/2019 at 12:39 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Ever seen Waiting for Godot?

What are you going to do if prices do nothing other than rise?

Hope is not a strategy.

glad we waited  a little booked today on united $792.00 per person ewr-ams round trip