Dress for Cunard

airugo

11 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Questions don't  need corrections. An answer is the usual mode of reply.

One assumes most passengers are aware of the dress code niceties and for the most part, will adhere. Those who don't will be in a minority and to be perfectly honest, those who choose to rebel, have absolutely no effect on the  enjoyment of the  moment for me and to confine them to cabins will be the beginning of the end.

We want the line to survive, not drown in the minutiae of the Cunard dress code from  those who would prefer 'all standards to be upheld and damn the consequences' brigade. 

These what to wear threads are ALWAYS entertaining how they evolve ,climaxing in ....".toss em overboard jeeves" ,by the G.O.D. class .  

1 minute ago, newjoisey said:

These what to wear threads are ALWAYS entertaining how they evolve ,climaxing in ....".toss em overboard jeeves" ,by the G.O.D. class .  

Luckily, the plank was relegated to the pirate class centuries [I hope] ago.

Come on people. The cruise industry will be in dire straits. Standards should be up held, but if not, don't go ape about it. Personally, I'll just be glad to be onboard. I'll complain about any oiks when I get home! 😁

• Like 2

I've  disagreed with people on this forum who want to exchange Cunards dress code for their own. 

One thing I'll always agree with.

If you don't like loud music why go to a nightclub in Ibiza. 

If you don't like dressing up at night why go on a Cunard cruise

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Luckily, the plank was relegated to the pirate class centuries [I hope] ago.

Come on people. The cruise industry will be in dire straits. Standards should be up held, but if not, don't go ape about it. Personally, I'll just be glad to be onboard. I'll complain about any oiks when I get home! 😁

keep in mind even when the titanic was sinking i bet there were a few in life boats expecting the band to be playing longer 

4 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I've  disagreed with people on this forum who want to exchange Cunards dress code for their own. 

If forgot to say the one exception is TAs for people who don't like flying,  for whom Cunard is the only choice. If you think of a TA not so much as a cruise but as a form (albeit expensive) of public transport , then TAs should perhaps think differently and offer more for people who don't like formal.

However for a normal cruise which is a vacation for which you  have many other options, then I  stand by my comments above ,  if you don't like dressing up at night why go on a Cunard cruise. 

10 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Apart from those who use ships as a mode of transport rather than to facilitate a holiday, I agree with you but who are we to question why anyone books a holiday?

One person's £/$ is as good as another's. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 10:57 AM, Windsurfboy said:

I completely  agree , what I  don't  understand is why there is so much discussion about the dress code. The Cunard dress code is very clear and completely unambiguous. There is no need for explanation,  translation,  or embellishment with personal preferences . We just all need to follow the dress code as written by Cunard.

"During the day, you are welcome to relax and dress as you please in all areas of the ship. Then as the sun goes down, the style goes up. Every night on board, we ask that you wear smart attire in most of our bars, restaurants and entertainment venues.

On our much-loved Gala evenings, which are the highlight of the voyage for many, we invite you to dress to impress as the celebratory atmosphere and sense of occasion is heightened across the ship. There are two or three of these special Gala evenings for every seven days of your voyage. Of course, if you prefer to spend your evenings in more relaxed attire, a selection of casual dining and entertainment venues are always available for your enjoyment."

Windsurfboy,

Bravo!

Totally agree with you as Cunard Passengers who have enjoyed sailing in the past to current trips on many of the Cunard Vessels.

We look forward on each sailing to abide by the Dress Code and express our support.

We can't wait each evening to dress up and enjoy the After 6 activities and atmosphere that makes the experience Magical. From before Dinner Drinks, Fine Dining to the late night Exciting G32 Energy.

This us why we don't care to sail on other lines and have always been attracted to Cunard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Apart from those who use ships as a mode of transport rather than to facilitate a holiday, I agree with you but who are we to question why anyone books a holiday?

One person's £/$ is as good as another's. 

I didn't  say they shouldn't go but why? 

Why would someone who doesn't like dressing up go on Cunard (TA excepted) then complain about  limited access which was advertised beforehand .

9 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I didn't  say they shouldn't go but why? 

Why would someone who doesn't like dressing up go on Cunard (TA excepted) then complain about  limited access which was advertised beforehand .

I have absolutely no idea why. If I did and could do something about it I'm sure I'd become the favourite person of at least one contributor to this board but the reality is, as much as we'd like 100% compliance, it doesn't happen and it won't.

We can ask the question 'why' until the cows come home but as  It has nothing to do with anyone else what other passengers' reasons are, we just have to accept there will be some passengers in casual attire wandering around Victoria and Elizabeth, after dinner. Apparently  [I say this as I rarely see the casuals in the bars]  bar staff can and do have 'a quiet word' but as much as some would like dress code marshals to be stationed every couple of metres  in the public areas to herd the non compliers back into their designated areas, in reality, it doesn't happen.

I don't see many, but I do see some. They stand out but as I have no desire to ruin my enjoyment by getting my knickers in a twist about it, it doesn't bother me one jot. I genuinally feel sorry  for those very few who let it bother them. Thankfully, I'm sure the medical centre can supply soothing medication for those in danger of increased blood pressure at the sight of a casually dressed person watching the dancing, from deck 3 [again, Elizabeth and Victoria]  before going onto the theatre.

• Like 2

What other people wear on board really  doesn't worry me , especially  in places like the theatre, where you should be looking at the show. Nor do I expect it worries many people.

I think social media , like this, somehow encourages people to take positions.

Whether as 

- dress code  extremists, 

- what don't people understand about wear what you feel comfortable with

- casual,  anti penguin brigade 

All a bit of amusement in the end

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

What other people wear on board really  doesn't worry me , especially  in places like the theatre, where you should be looking at the show. Nor do I expect it worries many people.

I think social media , like this, somehow encourages people to take positions.

Whether as 

- dress code  extremists, 

- what don't people understand about wear what you feel comfortable with

- casual,  anti penguin brigade 

All a bit of amusement in the end

Nail on the head for the majority of readers of this board. We know we can't do much apart from keeping up our own, hopefully high, standards, but it's amusing reading the various stances. 😄

29 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Nail on the head for the majority of readers of this board. We know we can't do much apart from keeping up our own, hopefully high, standards, but it's amusing reading the various stances. 😄

But we can continue to challenge the mindset of those who deliberately seek methods to circumvent the dress code, in theory or in practice.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Like 1

I'm enjoying reading the threads on this board, as I eagerly anticipate our first Cunard cruise. It seems to me that no matter the cruise line, the discussion about dress code is a staple -  for me, it's a welcome diversion in these times.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

But we can continue to challenge the mindset of those who deliberately seek methods to circumvent the dress code, in theory or in practice.

Of course  you can. Anyone can but there comes a point where challenges or comments occasionally reek of privilege and quite frankly, an overbearing attitude which will put off many prospective newbies.

I hope the sleepers who read the Cunard board for insights and hints will take with a huge dose of salt the extreme views and realise that once on the ship, we're all [well most of us are] ordinary people with a love of dressing for dinner/after six but who will not  look down on or pull up those who decide to be contrary and wander around the ship in day clothes which do not match the proscribed evening code. As long as the vast majority of passengers dress  to the code, then I'm happy.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, DaisyUK said:

I'm enjoying reading the threads on this board, as I eagerly anticipate our first Cunard cruise. It seems to me that no matter the cruise line, the discussion about dress code is a staple -  for me, it's a welcome diversion in these times.

Welcome to Cunard... 

18 minutes ago, DaisyUK said:

stick around.........the "how much soda n booze can i schlep on board" and "leave automatic gratuities on ?" posts are a hoot .  

1 hour ago, DaisyUK said:

Sailing on Cunard is a splendid experience- very beautiful and peaceful... My favorite! Truly, the dress code discussion always happens... Personally, I love Cunard's dress code- and I love that it makes the ship feel so special after 6:00. (I'm also with you, I enjoy the dress code posts much more than the sad ones about how we are not able to cruise right now)

Enjoy your first voyage with Cunard... I hypothesize that you will be on the boards in the future (once we can all start traveling again ) saying how lovely and wonderful the experience on Cunard is too... sharing your musings on this line with others.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

If you are obeying the dress code to the letter then by definition you cannot be circumventing it.

There is no such thing as the spirit of the dress code, that is something which can be open to a multitude of interpretations,  there is only the dress code in black and white, as written by Cunard. 

Edited by Windsurfboy

Thank you all for the help and kind words - we are looking forward to dressing up and enjoying what we hope to be the first of many Cunard cruises. We also cruise RSSC and Crystal, which we do enjoy; it will be interesting to see how Cunard compares😊

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DaisyUK said:

Thank you all for the help and kind words - we are looking forward to dressing up and enjoying what we hope to be the first of many Cunard cruises. We also cruise RSSC and Crystal, which we do enjoy; it will be interesting to see how Cunard compares😊

Our first cruise was enough to hook us ,2 more and we go diamond .We did a mega- cruise ship once and that was one too many . 

On 4/23/2019 at 7:37 AM, david,Mississauga said:

Just because people dress in a traditional  (dare I say respectable?) manner  does not mean the atmosphere is stuffy.  The most laughter and fun we ever had at meals on any ship was at a large table in the Queen's Grill on a QM2 crossing. People were dressed elegantly on the three formal nights, but not every man had a tuxedo and not every woman wore a ball gown.

If anyone considers a suit and tie on gala nights and "jacket - tie optional" on others to be too formal and stuffy, by all means go on one of the other hundreds of ships.

I think we have the airlines to blame for people wanting to slip by with not taking two men’s suits on to their passenger ship. It’s primarily about weight restrictions on planes so only those lucky people who can drive to port can relax and hand in their luggage at embarkation.

Of course there is the resistance of many of the male species to being bound up on vacation. I really think a man in a tux is a sexy thing, and once my husband heard me say that, he’s been enthusiastic!

3 hours ago, MaisonRose said:

I think we have the airlines to blame for people wanting to slip by with not taking two men’s suits on to their passenger ship. It’s primarily about weight restrictions on planes so only those lucky people who can drive to port can relax and hand in their luggage at embarkation.

Of course there is the resistance of many of the male species to being bound up on vacation. I really think a man in a tux is a sexy thing, and once my husband heard me say that, he’s been enthusiastic!

I've  never understood the luggage restrictions on planes argument , i.e. we can only take one  suitcase each ,  people pay 1000s of pounds/euros/dollars for a cruise,  so the cost of paying for an additional suitcase is a very small extra cost.