Dress for Cunard

airugo

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I prefer to think it's a case of not seeing the whole picture rather than snobbery as I dislike that word.

So do I but having cruised with Cunard for 23yrs and seen it first hand with my very first experience on QE2 in 1997 it is obviously by some comments on this thread that it is still about.

37 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Just proves that "snobbery" is still alive and kicking on Cunard and those that look down on others as if they are better.

Who do you think was "looking down" on any others? I must have missed that. I don't recall anyone mentioning snobbery either.

40 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Your extrapolation was out of sync with the line my comments were taking. 

You were making the point that not everybody has the dexterity to tie either shoes or ties.

I merely pointed out the flaw, i.e. most men wear lacing shoes, therefore most men can tie a bow. Simple logic. That is not to say they must wear a real tie. That's up to the individual. I couldn't care less.

It's just nonsense to state that the reason most don't wear real ties is medical. It might be for a few, but certainly not for a thousand or so.

In my opinion, a real tie looks so much better.

4 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

That’s the Bow Tie debated sorted and concluded

Now let’s talk Gentlemen’s Formal Dress Wear Shoes -

Decent, or the double up variety for the Smart Casual wear, or just bring along a pair of “worn to work”, including the various states of degradation.

After “Shoe Gate” it will be Cufflinks 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BigMac1953 said:

You were making the point that not everybody has the dexterity to tie either shoes or ties.

I merely pointed out the flaw, i.e. most men wear lacing shoes, therefore most men can tie a bow. Simple logic. That is not to say they must wear a real tie. That's up to the individual. I couldn't care less.

It's just nonsense to state that the reason most don't wear real ties is medical. It might be for a few, but certainly not for a thousand or so.

What logic?

My comments were limited to those who have fine motor control problems eg stroke victims, sufferers of neurological problems etc, many of whom  would find lace up shoes a trial. I don't recall giving a head count. It's you who extended that very limited scope to other passengers.

I could say, in reply to a self tie looks so much better, that Daniel Craig look-alikes in classic black tie attire look so much better than the majority of the gentlemen on a Cunard formal night but it doesn't matter in the slightest. Not to me at any rate.

The pomposity of the dreaded Cunard Dress Code has to be read to be believed sometimes.

12 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

What logic?

My comments were limited to those who have fine motor control problems eg stroke victims, sufferers of neurological problems etc, many of whom  would find lace up shoes a trial. I don't recall giving a head count. It's you who extended that very limited scope to other passengers.

You make the ship sound like a geriatric convalescence home. 

How many do you think you speak for? 10?, 12? out of approx 1200 male pax.

12 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

7 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

You make the ship sound like a geriatric convalescence home. 

How many do you think you speak for? 10?, 12? out of approx 1200 male pax.

Big Mac, you were out of sync with my comments. That's it. 

I will say though, I can remember one  particular round Britain cruise where the term God's Waiting Room was bandied about rather a lot! 

And you don't have to be geriatric to have problems with fumble fingers.

Edited by Victoria2

Now that we've pretty much discussed bow ties and shoe laces, perhaps some of the ladies (and gentlemen, if you'd like) can tell me how "formal" crossings are. I read somewhere that crossings, as opposed to "cruises", are quite formal. I know John will need jacket and tie, each night but do I need a long dress/skirt, etc.? What can I wear without (God forbid) offending anyone? We'll be in PG if that makes any difference. I would think not, but you never know where the fashion police lurk! (giggle!)

28 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Now that we've pretty much discussed bow ties and shoe laces, perhaps some of the ladies (and gentlemen, if you'd like) can tell me how "formal" crossings are. I read somewhere that crossings, as opposed to "cruises", are quite formal. I know John will need jacket and tie, each night but do I need a long dress/skirt, etc.? What can I wear without (God forbid) offending anyone? We'll be in PG if that makes any difference. I would think not, but you never know where the fashion police lurk! (giggle!)

I do not think a long dress or skirt is necessary for a woman to comply with requested attire - I’ve seen a number of women wearing cocktail dresses and dressy pant suits and fitting in very well.   I would suggest that a man bring a dark suit if not a tuxedo - that any “jacket and tie” might not fit in.

Of course, no one is going to argue that what others wear will ruin the taste of their food, but you might ask yourself if you really want to book a trip on a ship known for a level of formality if you are uncomfortable with that level of formality.

21 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Decent, or the double up variety for the Smart Casual wear, or just bring along a pair of “worn to work”, including the various states of degradation.

Aye where will it stop?

You forgot to also say “slip ons; velcro straps; brown; black; clogs; crocs; cuban heels etc.”

I personally alway have a brand new pair of underpants on everyday in case of an accident on the stairway - my grandmother always said make sure you wear clean pants incase you have an accident and end up in hospital. Cheery soul.

43 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Depends how formal you want to go.
I would wear exactly the same on any of the three ships and it doesn't matter if it's Britannia or QG, dress code is the same.

Givenchy ball gowns are not required although feel free to give yours an airing as you'll be much admired. Long evening dresses, as opposed to  maxi everyday dresses are part of my formal night wardrobe but not a necessity if you don't have one. I don't wear dresses other than the long and black evening trousers paired with lots of different beautiful tops are my staple but all my evening clothes could be worn for formal or non formal evenings. I have one pair of black shoes which do for every evening but I do take another pair, in reserve.
Pashminas and shrugs ring the changes and there's always a bling opportunity to liven the whole look up.

Whatever you wear, wear with confidence and don't even give the fashion police a thought., They don't matter one iota.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Craigrlewis said:

Aye where will it stop?

You forgot to also say “slip ons; velcro straps; brown; black; clogs; crocs; cuban heels etc.”

I personally alway have a brand new pair of underpants on everyday in case of an accident on the stairway - my grandmother always said make sure you wear clean pants incase you have an accident and end up in hospital. Cheery soul.

Our Grandmothers  must have been on the same  calamity dress code course except the advice I was given was 'in case you get run over'. Hospital wasn't mentioned so I guess I wasn't expected to survive so just had to be a clean corpse!!  😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:
and there's always a bling opportunity to liven the whole look up.

True, then is it real Bling or imitation?   There are ways of noticing if wished.

But when all said and done, the most important thing is the wearer knows.

Thank you all. That's pretty much what I expected. I think we can do this and not get arrested by the fashion police! I do, however get the feeling that a "crossing" is a shade more formal than a "cruise". 

We're (hopefully) doing a rt out of NY that includes two crossings and a trip up to Norway as the filling of the sandwich. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

True, then is it real Bling or imitation?   There are ways of noticing if wished.

But when all said and done, the most important thing is the wearer knows.

Obviously. One should ALWAYS carry one's loupe  in order to make sure. 

Port Royal. you never cease to make me smile! 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mudhen said:

Thank you all. That's pretty much what I expected. I think we can do this and not get arrested by the fashion police! I do, however get the feeling that a "crossing" is a shade more formal than a "cruise". 

We're (hopefully) doing a rt out of NY that includes two crossings and a trip up to Norway as the filling of the sandwich. 

My evening wardrobe is probably more formal than most ladies which is why I wouldn't change anything, but never having 'crossed' other than by plane when my formal wear consists of leggings and a longline sweat shirt, I don't have any experience but I think your comment  a crossing is more formal, is probably be spot on.

Fingers crossed for you the whole package goes ahead. 🤞

edit

We have cruised over the pond a few times but never 'crossed'. My evening wear will be the same though, cruising or crossing. 

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

The crossing are definitely more formal. In the old days, every night was black tie (real or clip on). 

Now, on a crossing, there are three "formal" nights per week whereas on a cruise it's two per week.

There will be lots of long dresses (for the women) and most men will wear dinner suits (except the ones in long dresses).

• Like 3

On 1/3/2021 at 4:11 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

There is one thing that, solves the shoe issue, Shoe polish makes on anything acceptable .

6 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Well polished shoes shows someone took time to care about how they look irrespective of how much money they have and irrespective of how old or new the shoes are.  

Personal opinion.

Shoes being old, well worn, knackered, falling apart and well past their best, but polished, will not compliment one’s wear.  Therefore, one will pass.

If the wearing, with a Tux or Suit on Formal night, well knackered but polished footwear suits you and you’re happy, then so be it......

It’s your choice.

45 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Well polished shoes shows someone took time to care about how they look irrespective of how much money they have and irrespective of how old or new the shoes are.  

Definitely.

My father had foot drop and ruined shoes on the first wear.  Polishing them at least showed he cared.

Not up to me to judge others. 

Taking care of your shoes the best you can shows you care about appearance 

Owning multiple shoes for each outfit shows you own alot of shoes

I can afford as many shoes as I like But doesn't give anyone the right to judge others