Dress for Cunard

airugo

There will always be some people who are very anti-dress code - but it will also always be the case that a significant number of people, both men and women, actually enjoy dressing smart for the evening, and enjoy being part of a group of people who all feel much the same way - when a large group all dress up, put on their best suit, or elegant dress, it makes for an atmosphere that you can't get anywhere else, and means something special for a lot of people, and that is very different from the everyday informal clothes we all would wear on a day out at a port or for lounging around on deck, or for walking the promenade after breakfast. 

I believe also that many ladies certainly appreciate it when receiving a compliment that they look wonderful in a nice dress, and men too will smile most of the time when a lady says with a look of admiration that the man they are talking to looks really smart or suave.  You can wonder around a town with loose jeans on, and trainers, and a floppy t-shirt, but for most of us that does not give us a special feeling of an 'occasion', whereas getting the bow-tie on, even if it takes half an hour and 8 attempts before it actually looks neat, and seeing your spouse looking at you and saying you look attractive is something that makes for a feel-good occasion as part of a special holiday.

Of course if you are not into that and don't want to dress that way, then there are places where everyone who hasn't dressed up can go on the ship. It still remains the case that for quite a lot of people the formal evenings, which let's be honest, are not quite as formal as they were some years ago, having a few evenings a week where dressing up is an integral part of the atmosphere is something to be enjoyed to the full - and if it gives pleasure and people go on cruises to have that pleasure then long may it continue.

• Like 4

That was a very nice account, Mcloaked! If we can ever make it onto the QM2 this year, my husband and I will both be more than happy to dress up. We've spent the last 9 months in sweat pants, baggy sweaters and turtlenecks. Dress up was a trip to the liquor store! We have used what we call  "evening clothes" too...Flannel pants and shirts, and long fluffy nightgowns.  I can't wait to get some "cruise clothes" out, providing we can fit in any of them!!!

• Like 6

18 hours ago, mcloaked said:

...when a large group all dress up, put on their best suit, or elegant dress, it makes for an atmosphere that you can't get anywhere else, and means something special for a lot of people, and that is very different from the everyday informal clothes we all would wear on a day out at a port or for lounging around on deck, or for walking the promenade after breakfast...

To me, this is the central point about all dress code discussions. When everyone is dressed formally, the entire ship ambience changes. It feels different - more refined, more festive, more elegant - than when we are all wearing our "lockdown" clothes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ExArkie said:

To me, this is the central point about all dress code discussions. When everyone is dressed formally, the entire ship ambience changes. It feels different - more refined, more festive, more elegant - than when we are all wearing our "lockdown" clothes.

You could not be more right. I want to get out of my sweats and shorts and put on "grown up" clothes. When I do, I will remember the lockdown days and be glad they are in the rear view mirror. 

• Like 5

That's a downside of first dinner seating. If you go to the Commodore Club before 6:00 it's still crowded with people dressed casually. I've felt overdressed on formal night.

The Chart Room (QM2, anyway) has more people dressed for dinner before 6:00.

On 1/6/2021 at 2:52 PM, ExArkie said:

I completely  agree , what I  don't  understand is why there is so much discussion about the dress code. The Cunard dress code is very clear and completely unambiguous. There is no need for explanation,  translation,  or embellishment with personal preferences . We just all need to follow the dress code as written by Cunard.

"During the day, you are welcome to relax and dress as you please in all areas of the ship. Then as the sun goes down, the style goes up. Every night on board, we ask that you wear smart attire in most of our bars, restaurants and entertainment venues.

On our much-loved Gala evenings, which are the highlight of the voyage for many, we invite you to dress to impress as the celebratory atmosphere and sense of occasion is heightened across the ship. There are two or three of these special Gala evenings for every seven days of your voyage. Of course, if you prefer to spend your evenings in more relaxed attire, a selection of casual dining and entertainment venues are always available for your enjoyment."

This is then followed  by some uninspiring but clear pictures.

48 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I completely  agree , what I  don't  understand is why there is so much discussion about the dress code. The Cunard dress code is very clear and completely unambiguous. There is no need for explanation,  translation,  or embellishment with personal preferences . We just all need to follow the dress code as written by Cunard.

"During the day, you are welcome to relax and dress as you please in all areas of the ship. Then as the sun goes down, the style goes up. Every night on board, we ask that you wear smart attire in most of our bars, restaurants and entertainment venues.

On our much-loved Gala evenings, which are the highlight of the voyage for many, we invite you to dress to impress as the celebratory atmosphere and sense of occasion is heightened across the ship. There are two or three of these special Gala evenings for every seven days of your voyage. Of course, if you prefer to spend your evenings in more relaxed attire, a selection of casual dining and entertainment venues are always available for your enjoyment."

".....relaxed attire....."  .....very clear and completely unambiguous.... i insert icon of guy rolling on the ground laughing here, as do 99% of the people in kings court after 6 . Not everyone wants to march to the walk of the penguins after 6  

8 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

That's the general dress code information found on the "What to pack" page of the Cunard website. To be thorough, there are more specific evening dress code descriptions found in the pre-voyage documents and in the daily programmes once on board. Here's the wording from QM2 daily programmes for the evening dress code in the main dining rooms and the other areas of the ship where the dress code applies.

Gala Evening: Dinner jacket, tuxedo, or dark suit with regular tie or bow tie for gentlemen. Evening or cocktail dress, smart trouser suit, or formal separates for ladies.

Smart Attire: Smart trousers with a shirt and jacket for gentlemen; tie is optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome.

This does not get into the "jacket optional" variation of the Smart Attire dress code for gentlemen on some itineraries. I think some of the questions and angst we get about the dress code here may result from these more specific dress code definitions being nowhere to be found on the main Cunard website while researching the line before booking a voyage.

4 minutes ago, newjoisey said:

".....relaxed attire....."  .....very clear and completely unambiguous.... i insert icon of guy rolling on the ground laughing here, as do 99% of the people in kings court after 6 . Not everyone wants to march to the walk of the penguins after 6  

Simple , Relaxed attire is anything that does not follow either smart attire or gala dress code depending on the day. So anything you feel comfortable with as in the daytime.

Discussion on this forum has never been about what people can wear out side more formal areas.

Clearly from your answer you understand where the dress code applies and where it doesn't,   so that all you need to know if you choose to wear anything else. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

That's the general dress code information found on the "What to pack" page of the Cunard website. To be thorough, there are more specific evening dress code descriptions found in the pre-voyage documents and in the daily programmes once on board. Here's the wording from QM2 daily programmes for the evening dress code in the main dining rooms and the other areas of the ship where the dress code applies.

Gala Evening: Dinner jacket, tuxedo, or dark suit with regular tie or bow tie for gentlemen. Evening or cocktail dress, smart trouser suit, or formal separates for ladies.

Smart Attire: Smart trousers with a shirt and jacket for gentlemen; tie is optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome.

This does not get into the "jacket optional" variation of the Smart Attire dress code for gentlemen on some itineraries. I think some of the questions and angst we get about the dress code here may result from these more specific dress code definitions being nowhere to be found on the main Cunard website while researching the line before booking a voyage.

The jacket optional variation applies to so few itineraries,  that it would be confusing to raise it  in main website.

Under UK law , the Cunard website is the only document that matters,  it has the same status that a brochure used to have , as it is the only information you have before you book. The website has the same standing as advertising and is governed by the advertising code of conduct. .  As such it must be both clear and truthful . They cannot change rules once you've booked. 

3 hours ago, newjoisey said:

Simple then go with Princess.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

The jacket optional variation applies to so few itineraries,  that it would be confusing to raise it  in main website.

Under UK law , the Cunard website is the only document that matters,  it has the same status that a brochure used to have , as it is the only information you have before you book. The website has the same standing as advertising and is governed by the advertising code of conduct. .  As such it must be both clear and truthful . They cannot change rules once you've booked. 

Yes they can when, after booking, they changed the dress code for the Jazz Theme cruise on QM2 and dress was relaxed throughout the ship and many of the speciality jazz acts dressed in jeans and casual shirts day and night. Cunard made a right mess of it as prior to the cruise in the US they announced that the dress code had been relaxed for the Jazz Theme TA but for those in the UK on same TA were told that usual dress code standards would be adhered too.

Edited by majortom10

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Yes they can when, after booking, they changed the dress code for the Jazz Theme cruise on QM2 and dress was relaxed throughout the ship and many of the speciality jazz acts dressed in jeans and casual shirts day and night. Cunard made a right mess of it as prior to the cruise in the US they announced that the dress code had been relaxed for the Jazz Theme TA but for those in the UK on same TA were told that usual dress code standards would be adhered too.

Yes they can relax it , but they can't add to it.

Anyway what I said only applies to UK customers 

12 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Yes they can relax it , but they can't add to it.

Anyway what I said only applies to UK customers 

Well I am a UK cruiser and there were many arguments from many people with Cunard UK office about standards of dress for that particular Jazz theme cruise. Cunard US had announced a relaxed dress code many months before actual cruise but Cunard UK were still denying it and causing total confusion. As it turned out there were no "official" formal/gala evenings so Cunard US were correct even though some still wore dinners suits but many didnt and were allowed all over the ship in the evening many without jackets and even in jeans.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

What ...??  You dare to suggest that someone hasn’t the right to do what he wants on any ship on which he wants to do it?

I don't know if this is tongue-in-cheek or a pukka comment, but I agree with you with the caveat those who want to be casual, stick to the casual areas of the ship and that to be clear, that doesn't mean confined to barracks in the cabin.

5 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

What ...??  You dare to suggest that someone hasn’t the right to do what he wants on any ship on which he wants to do it?

All Cunard cruisers can.  So long as it does not breach any rules, codes, laws or legal requirements.   Any breaches must be addressed.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I don't know if this is tongue-in-cheek or a pukka comment, but I agree with you with the caveat those who want to be casual, stick to the casual areas of the ship and that to be clear, that doesn't mean confined to barracks in the cabin.

If a cruiser on Cunard has a wish to dress always casual, having no wish to frequent the Cunard designated casual areas, then the only option available is their stateroom.  However, if enjoying evenings in a Cunard stateroom is not acceptable, then why did they book Cunard?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Then if you were expecting a formal cruise adhering to Cunards advertised dress standards , you can complain to the AS A,  advertising standards authority. 

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

If a cruiser on Cunard has a wish to dress always casual, having no wish to frequent the Cunard designated casual areas, then the only option available is their stateroom.  However, if enjoying evenings in a Cunard stateroom is not acceptable, then why did they book Cunard?

I'm pretty sure we're in agreement about those in casual dress adhering to the casual areas but it's not up to us to decide who books and why. 

As an example, I have a friend who is petrified of flying but has a property near Miami. She crosses on QM2. Now I happen to know she loves the dress code but what about those in a similar circumstance who use the ship as a mode of travel and have no intention of black tie'ing it.

Are you proposing they can't travel on Cunard?

Come on. enough is enough. All-comers can travel on Cunard but if you want a more casual experience, stick to designated areas.

• Like 1

I took one cruise on Princess, one was enough, I have 18 on Cunard and 18 are not enough. It really doesn't take a whole lot of effort for a guy to wear a coat and tie, or a blazer, and I know women love to wear attractive clothes. It seems to me that it is relatively easy to meet Cunard's Minimum Dress standards. If you don't want to do Gala, eat in the Kings Court, or in your room or suite. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Correction

One made no such suggestion, only asking a question when all casual options are declined.

Questions don't  need corrections. An answer is the usual mode of reply.

One assumes most passengers are aware of the dress code niceties and for the most part, will adhere. Those who don't will be in a minority and to be perfectly honest, those who choose to rebel, have absolutely no effect on the  enjoyment of the  moment for me and to confine them to cabins will be the beginning of the end.

We want the line to survive, not drown in the minutiae of the Cunard dress code from  those who would prefer 'all standards to be upheld and damn the consequences' brigade. 

• Thanks 1