Do You Keep Wedding Ring/Diamond on Board???

elaineb

Our wedding bands are a symbol of our commitment and in fifty years we haven’t taken them off.  I didn’t have a fancy engagement ring, but I wear my sapphire 25 year ring and  a 50 year eternity ring, neither of which are particularly showy.

13 hours ago, sippican said:

I know I'm in the minority here. I have my lovely wedding ring set to wear and enjoy - and one of the things we enjoy most is travelling together; in the US and abroad, cruising and on land trips. Most of the time I wear them out and about. There have been few times when I have felt it prudent to leave them behind in the safe, and have done so. Some people brag about wearing "fake" jewelry when traveling, and I fail to see how that deters crime, I would gladly turn my belongings  over to a thief, right along with my purse , camera, phone etc. Just curious, how many who leave their jewelry behind use a pickpocket proof purse with anti-slash straps, or employ other means to keep personal belongings safe? 

I wear a cross body bag in ports but only keep glasses and small items in it. Cash and sea pass are kept in my zippered cargo pants pockets. 

58 minutes ago, kayehall said:

I leave everything at home.  And travel with inexpensive jewelry.  Like the $10.00 Effy sale.

Opposite here !

Fifty some years and my rings never leave my hands except when cooking things such as dough or meatloaf . As my DH says, “I bought these for you to wear” and I do. I have never felt unsafe anywhere we have traveled in over 100 trips.💍💍

Depending on where I am traveling, I will bring my everyday rings (set of 3); a simple diamond band; and/or a silicone ring. I like the latter one for excursions like snorkeling, where a flashy ring might attract something worse than a mugger!

Edited by hrhdhd

1 hour ago, orchestrapal said:

Opposite here !

Fifty some years and my rings never leave my hands except when cooking things such as dough or meatloaf . As my DH says, “I bought these for you to wear” and I do. I have never felt unsafe anywhere we have traveled in over 100 trips.💍💍

I am the same way.  The diamond in wedding set is small so not too worried.  However, my mom left me her large diamond which I "blinged" out and wear all the time.  Never thought about NOT traveling with it, but now.....hummm.

Mimbecky

I keep large engagement diamond in cabin safe but wear small diamond chip studded wedding ring off ship. I also bring $$$ jewelry but just wear on ship. My husband feels that we have insurance and he Loves to see me wear his jewelry gifts instead of locked up at home. He says I bought for you to enjoy wearing.  But I would never wear $$$ jewelry off ship

A long way back, I convinced my wife to NEVER take her engagement ring--the one with the big, expensive diamond--on a cruise...But, she did always take some fairly nice jewelry.  Wanted to have some nice stuff for formal nights.

Several years ago, we were on a ship that stopped in Labadee.  She brought a nice diamond ring--not her engagement ring, but one with several smaller diamonds--still a fairly expensive piece of jewelry.  She was afraid to leave it on the ship--even in the safe--since she figured the cabin stewards, for example, knew how to open the safe since they had done t for us when it somehow otherwise wasn't working.

So, she wore this ring while we were off the ship in Labadee.  While swimming at the beach, she suddenly realized that her ring was no longer on...it had slipped off somewhere in the water.  We searched underwater for a while, but it was hopeless.  Gone.

I always figured that, centuries from now, archaeologists will be digging around Labadee and find it.  They will determine that the Haitians were a poor people--living a very subsistence-level existence...BUT that they had marvelous jewelry!!

Now, she only packs "costume" jewelry when going on a cruise.  Anything of even modest value, she leaves in the cabin safe--except to take it out for formal night.  In all of our cruises (and we've been on lots), we've NEVER had a problem with theft from the safe.

I have a beautiful ring with a large stone that I wear with my wedding band.  I wear it on cruises but not on shore and  it stays in the safe.  It's insured so why would I leave it at home or worry about it being in the safe?

Edited by mek

I have a large diamond on my engagement ring plus a diamond wedding band.  The only time I take them off is when I'm making meatballs.  I've worn them on every trip we've ever been on including many Caribbean cruises.  I've also worn them on the NYC subway, buses, etc.  I've never had an issue.  That being said, we also, typically, never walk around port on our own (except St. Maarten on our last cruise) and are always either with an excursion or a private guide.  As I get older, I find that my memory is not what it was and, frankly, I'm probably more at risk of forgetting my ring in a safe than being mugged in a port.  Plus, my husband is quite big and I don't know if anyone would risk messing with me to begin with while I am walking with him.

• Like 1

I stopped wearing jewelry in ports years ago, as reports surfaced of high crime rates and even occasional tourist muggings. For a long time, I brought my engagement ring and a few other nice pieces to wear on formal nights, and led them in the safe. But, that was until we had a safe on a cruise ship that malfunctioned several times during the cruise --- our steward was able to open it quickly for us, which certainly made me think twice. Of course, formal nights are not nearly as formal as they used to be, but even if they were, my nice things stay home!

17 hours ago, MarLieb said:

I have a large diamond on my engagement ring plus a diamond wedding band.  The only time I take them off is when I'm making meatballs.  I've worn them on every trip we've ever been on including many Caribbean cruises.  I've also worn them on the NYC subway, buses, etc.  I've never had an issue.  That being said, we also, typically, never walk around port on our own (except St. Maarten on our last cruise) and are always either with an excursion or a private guide.  As I get older, I find that my memory is not what it was and, frankly, I'm probably more at risk of forgetting my ring in a safe than being mugged in a port.  Plus, my husband is quite big and I don't know if anyone would risk messing with me to begin with while I am walking with him.

Those of us who live in big cities feel much as you do.

cruise ports are no different than centers of our US cities.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:23 PM, jelayne said:

A couple of years ago were traveling to Brazil and going to Carnival in Rio.  I thought it best to leave my wedding ring at home.  DH agreed and decided to get me a wedding band for travel.

He headed to a local pawn shop and found a band that fits perfectly, sparing  no expense he paid $10 including the ring box

That's funny.  My DH and I eloped on the very, very spur of the moment.  My ring cost about $2 from a 5 & 10 store.  I still have it and it doesn't even turn my finger green.