Lanyards are for losers...

poeticlicensed

4 hours ago, SUBnet192 said:

That is extreme snobbism... Who cares? As long as they are not keeping their cards in their underwear/bras and dive into them to retrieve it when asked 😉

When Mrs Gut keeps things in her bra I offer to help her find it.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

There was a post on this forum discussing that possibility. A lot of mixed opinions concerning those also. Which everyone has a right to. 

Might try finding the thread.  Not sure if bands are waterproof either which might be a big problem and that would be problematic for me too. 

Just to be clear, I am suggesting for me to get rid of my lanyard, I would want a type of magic band substitution.  I am not proposing cruise lines go away from cards to magic band like devices per se.  

4 minutes ago, gatour said:

That is your opinion.

As others have stated including myself there are other pratical matters where a lanyard makes sense.

I have been on 50+ cruises across many lines and the idea of looking at a card in lanyard to determine someone's status never occurred to me.  The reason why is I DO NOT CARE about other people's status.  If they decide to put the card in a lanyard to flaunt their status so be it.  Again I DO NOT CARE, so why do you?

There's no status to be determined from a booked room category on a Celebrity cruise.   

When you park next to our cruise ship on your private, 200 foot yacht, I'll be slightly impressed by your status.  Just slightly.  

4 minutes ago, shipshape sam said:

Might try finding the thread.  Not sure if bands are waterproof either which might be a big problem and that would be problematic for me too. 

Just to be clear, I am suggesting for me to get rid of my lanyard, I would want a type of magic band substitution.  I am not proposing cruise lines go away from cards to magic band like devices per se.  

I'll stay with the Sea Pass card in my pocket. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2631451-will-x-ever-get-wristbands-instead-of-cards/

Edited by davekathy

Ok. It's time for confession.

I'm 'that guy'. Many of you have probably seen me on cruises throughout the world. And, yes, I'm sure you've made jokes about me, but that's ok. I'm pretty sure it's because of how my lanyard is attached to the ring on my body.

It's not for everybody. I get that. And yes, I also have big ears. Yes, I know you've made fun of me and laughed as I walked away.

But, I normally have no place to put my card other than where the sun doesn't shine. No one wants to see it after that. And I don't wear a bra, so there's that issue too.

image.png.d9977f6f8b6efdb5daad69b204328566.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Who cares?  Everyone is on vacation and will do what they want.  They will wear what they want as well.  This reminds me of the time my husband and I were on a cruise and the people in the elevator were looking us up and down.  Snobs!!!!  We were not underdressed by any means.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crazee4cruzin said:

Who cares?  Everyone is on vacation and will do what they want.  They will wear what they want as well.  This reminds me of the time my husband and I were on a cruise and the people in the elevator were looking us up and down.  Snobs!!!!  We were not underdressed by any means.  

Now those are the kind of jerks I could have some real fun with in a very short time. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, crazee4cruzin said:

I would guess they were in awe of how good you look when you're 'cleaned up'. Happens to me all the time. I know many people wonder how my wife gets my knee high socks so 'snow white'. Some folks wonder about my Speedo under my white shorts. Of course that's so I won't offend anyone. I'm a sensitive guy. But a lot of folks still make fun of my lanyard when it doesn't match my outfit.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Now those are the kind of jerks I could have some real fun with in a very short time. 

Probably with half your mind tied behind your back, eh? Sometimes it's too easy and I walk away feeling badly. You know what I mean.

9 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Thanks!

Just read the first page and it is a typical response pattern.  Some like, some hate, optional is good.  Last time we were at Disney, December 2018, magic bands were optional and I got no sense that magic bands would become required.  There never was time that I had to take off band to pay/get into any venue for anything either.  I will say that the bands allow for more flexibility and ability to do certain functions.  Guess too that I do not have 'bling' to compete with a band type sea pass.

I also do like variety and choices for people based on what they like/are used to especially if there is no lapse or elongation in service from cruise line due to a specific manual or automated system.

9 minutes ago, shipshape sam said:

Thanks!

Just read the first page and it is a typical response pattern.  Some like, some hate, optional is good.  Last time we were at Disney, December 2018, magic bands were optional and I got no sense that magic bands would become required.  There never was time that I had to take off band to pay/get into any venue for anything either.  I will say that the bands allow for more flexibility and ability to do certain functions.  Guess too that I do not have 'bling' to compete with a band type sea pass.

I also do like variety and choices for people based on what they like/are used to especially if there is no lapse or elongation in service from cruise line due to a specific manual or automated system.

You're welcome. I've also read on the RCI forum some threads concerning the wrist bands. Again mixed opinions.  What I have read is at least on RC threads the severs don't have portable readers so you have to remove the wrist band for them to place your drink orders and you still need your Sea Pass card to exit and reenter the ship. Plus there is a cost, (I believe $5.00) for the band. But not to got in trouble for taking this thread sideways, lanyards aren't for losers.   

Edited by davekathy

3 hours ago, medtech71 said:

Can we focus on the real horror?   Men wearing calf-high white tube socks with shorts and running shoes....

Whew!!! I'm glad you didn't mention me my wearing sandel's with my sea pass hidden in my sock for easy access. If your feet smell and your nose runs then your built upside down.

Edited by weregoingcruising
add a word and corrections

Poetic licenced, have you left in disgust?  I hope not.  I, for one, want to thank you for starting this hilarious thread.  I haven't laughed as much in a long time.  OTOH I'm getting nothing done today.

I am another loser.  Or is it not a loser?  I don't usually have pockets either and I prefer wearing the lanyard to losing my pass.  Yes, that has happened and it's not pretty.

One thing most of you have not touched on.......My lanyard is one of those navy ones with the big white X and the zippered pocket on the back!  That kind has been given out for prizes.  Yes, prizes.  That means I have won something, yay, but it was so long ago that I have no idea whether it was the three legged race around the pool or the pie eating contest. :classic_biggrin:  Also, turning the passes so the back shows instead of the front doesn't accomplish anything as they are colored according to cabin type.

Keep 'em coming people.....

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Yikes! Bad time for me to have a typo .... LMAO! Make that neck, not deck .... of whatever! LOL! 

LOL, good thing a vowel was not dropped or added, in error...

bon voyage

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Now I'm curious if Equinox cabin door locks are RFID or Mag Stripe?

If RFID, the cards would open the door, even if inside plastic .  If Mag Stripe, the cards have to be removed from the plastic case attached to lanyard each time tow swipe in.

Who knows the answer?

Can't believe a serious question was proposed on this very funny thread. 😁

The answer is: the cards are RFID, you can tap them to open doors, charge things in the gift shop, etc.. And no, they don’t have to be taken out of a case.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1