Bed By The Balcony (Slider) Important to You?

need2cruisesoon

2 minutes ago, need2cruisesoon said:

I really enjoy the balcony cabin when I can sleep by the slider (door) adjacent to the balcony.

The room feels bigger and enjoy the fresh air and sounds of the water Sleep like a baby.

Do you mean you sleep with the verandah door open?  Every ship I've been on there's been a notice to not leave that door open.

I prefer the seating area next to the window/door.  That way I can sit and look out while reading, doing stuff.  Putting the seating area on the other side of the bed makes it dark.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, need2cruisesoon said:

I really enjoy the balcony cabin when I can sleep by the slider (door) adjacent to the balcony.

The room feels bigger and enjoy the fresh air and sounds of the water Sleep like a baby.

IMG_2087.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

So, you're the guy who's open balcony door is turning off the A/C in adjacent cabins!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Do you mean you sleep with the verandah door open?  Every ship I've been on there's been a notice to not leave that door open.

I prefer the seating area next to the window/door.  That way I can sit and look out while reading, doing stuff.  Putting the seating area on the other side of the bed makes it dark.

I'm with Schmoo on this one.

Home town and photo provided by the perp., shouldn't be difficult to trace.

Invoking the 5th won't help, this offence is on the high seas.

Cat o' nine tails followed by keel-hauling, methinks

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 2

I prefer the bed by the sliders because I can look out and see the water and the sky, and I feel more removed from traffic outside the door and DH bumbling around between bathroom and tv. 

After being chastised 20 years ago by a hotel housekeeper, I never leave the slider open. 

Leaving a balcony door open is selfish and nasty to the other cabins in your section of the ship.  On most ships an open balcony door compromises the A/C for a number of other cabins.  What is really interesting is that some cruisers think its cool (but it actually creates heat and humidity for others) to take credit for breaking rules.   We were on a cruise where a neighbor would leave their balcony door open every night.  They apparently went to bed early and we did not generally return to our cabin until after midnight.  We would walk by their cabin and you could hear (and feel) the air rushing through their door.  Our cabin would be humid (the mirrors were actually fogged) because the A/C was useless.  One night about 2 AM we called the front desk and complained about the issue.  A few minutes later we heard security knocking at our neighbors door (and hopefully waking them up).  That was the end of the problem.

I can understand some folks wanting the experience of hearing the sea and feeling that warm humid air while they sleep.  Those folks should simply go sleep on their balcony (with the doors closed) 🙂

When we were recently on the new Regal Princess we happened to go to a lecture given by the Chief Engineer.  He showed a movie about the ship which included lots of info about all the innovations.  The Chief Engineer mentioned that they had a computer program which showed info on every cabin including when people were in the cabin and if a balcony door was ajar.  Interesting.  One of the audience asked a couple of questions about balcony doors and suggested that the cruise lines simply fine passengers a few hundred dollars for leaving doors ajar (it cost the ship money in lost energy).  There was a lot of applause in the packed theater.

Hank

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

What is really interesting is that some cruisers think its cool (but it actually creates heat and humidity for others) to take credit for breaking rules.  

In another forum there is a message thread in which several people defend it, saying "I know all about air conditioning and there is NO WAY that a door open in one cabin could possibly affect any other." These are probably the same ones who post, "I know all about electricity and there is NO WAY that a surge protector could be any problem." Do they really think that cruise lines would have a rule merely for the pleasure of inconveniencing passengers?

On the other hand, there are also a few whose attitude is, "I paid good money for my ticket and I have a RIGHT to keep my door open if I darn well please."

It is wonderful that so many passengers know more than the ships' engineers.

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

One of the audience asked a couple of questions about balcony doors and suggested that the cruise lines simply fine passengers a few hundred dollars for leaving doors ajar (it cost the ship money in lost energy).  There was a lot of applause in the packed theater. 

Golly, I wonder why....

I prefer our bed by the balcony, but it's not a big enough deal to worry about.  I enjoy being closer to the ocean. 

Also, in cabins that have the closet in the cabin itself ( rather than Princess, ie, with have a separate area for the closet), it is more convenient than trying to squeeze alongside the bed to use the closet.

For some reason, almost all rooms we are in lately seem to have the desk-couch area by the window.

On 2/16/2019 at 8:47 PM, Hlitner said:

When we were recently on the new Regal Princess we happened to go to a lecture given by the Chief Engineer.  He showed a movie about the ship which included lots of info about all the innovations.  The Chief Engineer mentioned that they had a computer program which showed info on every cabin including when people were in the cabin and if a balcony door was ajar.  Interesting.  One of the audience asked a couple of questions about balcony doors and suggested that the cruise lines simply fine passengers a few hundred dollars for leaving doors ajar (it cost the ship money in lost energy).  There was a lot of applause in the packed theater.

Hank

I think charging for leaving the door open is a good idea (assuming you do have a grace period of a few minutes) - many lines charge for lost towels, this seems like a good deterrent.

I think all balcony cabins we've stayed in had the bed next to the window.  I don't think I realized they weren't all that way, and do think I prefer it.  I was also raised that you don't leave the door open when the a/c is running on land, so I never thought to leave the door open at sea (even before knowing how it affected other cabins).

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

I think all balcony cabins we've stayed in had the bed next to the window.  

Interesting, we must sail different ships. All I balcony cabins I can recall have seating area by the door to the balcony.  I do recall a couple of outsides where the head of the bed was under the window.

16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Interesting, we must sail different ships. All I balcony cabins I can recall have seating area by the door to the balcony.  I do recall a couple of outsides where the head of the bed was under the window.

We are sailing with our first Ocean View this June and and all pictures show the bed closer to the door and under the window is a living space.  Funny how different ships can be.

5 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

We are sailing with our first Ocean View this June and and all pictures show the bed closer to the door and under the window is a living space.  Funny how different ships can be.

I've been on 13 ships, from 4 different lines.  While I'll admit I've only occasionally been in a verandah room, the bed/couch set up in all those outside rooms (oceanview or verandah) has had the couch next to the window/door.  When there was a couch.  One ship, the room was only just large enough for the bed next to the window and a small desk area near the bathroom.

Edited by Shmoo here