RCI orders, yes, a 6th Oasis class ship!

JAMESCC

38 minutes ago, Nyc2tropics said:

I’m not sure if there’s a way to retrofit the Oasis but as is I don’t think she fits under the Verrazano bridge. VZ is 228 above waterline and Oasis is 236 (according to google) I remember hearing this rumor years ago 

Pretty sure they have figured it out as they have been selling the itineraries for a few months now.  The stacks were retractable when Oasis was first launched and she has a drydock scheduled for this fall if they need to do any additional modifications.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

7 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

I mean nothing against China but I hope its the US or Europe.

Or one could end up in Australia too :classic_biggrin:

Also, for the West Coast people, I'm sure it woul be great to have an Oasis Class on that side too. Part time Australia then to US West Coast. Same as Ovation. Besides Ovation sailing to Alaska, RCI does not have a big stake on the west coast compared to other cruise lines. 

If Oasis can fit under the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge, could Oasis class ship also fit under the Golden Gate Bridge? That would also be a beautiful sight. 

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

See above posts.  232,500 GRT and 5650 pax

It will be very close between the two ship classes 

Also from Cruise Industry News

"Number six in a series, the ship will get larger, expanding to 231,000 tons, compared to the 2018-built Symphony of the Seas at 228,081 tons."

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/20394-sixth-oasis-class-ship-to-be-largest.html

58 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

It will be very close between the two ship classes 

Also from Cruise Industry News

"Number six in a series, the ship will get larger, expanding to 231,000 tons, compared to the 2018-built Symphony of the Seas at 228,081 tons."

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/20394-sixth-oasis-class-ship-to-be-largest.html

What strikes me is the increase in the double occupancy count of 196 pax.

6 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

I can almost hear the phone call now...

"Hello...trademark office?"

"Yes"

"This is Royal Caribbean, and we'd like to record the following as some new top-secret ship names..."

"OK...what are they?"

"Behemoth of the Seas, Gargantuan of the Seas, Colossal of the Seas, and Ginormous of the Seas."

LONG SILENT PAUSE ON THE PHONE

"Uh...sure...we'll email you the registration forms in 5 minutes - just send it back with those names and your Paypal payment of $500 each to our billing account on our website."

"Great...we want this done quickly...we don't want anyone else to get these special names."

"Ah...OK...but I don't think you have all that much to worry about...as far as anyone else using those names."

"Great...we'll get this done within the hour."

:classic_laugh:

One more name to add: Humongous of the Seas.

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Dont forget there are different measurements of “bigness”.  GRT is interior volume, so it’s possible for the new ship to be shorter or narrower than Oasis yet still have a larger GRT due to the open areas of Central Park and Boardwalk.

Just FYI, most modern cruise ships use GT, not GRT.  GT is interior volume, like GRT, but is based on a logarithmic function, which makes your point even more valid as it is even harder to draw an apples to apples comparison, though if the ships are close in size the logarithmic aspect matters less.  And it is probably the best publicly available number to quickly compare ship size.  

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

There was an entire thread about this when it was first announced. I think the stack is retractable. 

My understanding was the stack was retractable, but the mechanism was disabled and possibly removed at some point shortly after delivery.  I'm not sure if they are reactivating the original equipment or installing something new and more robust.  After all, the initial stack was basically designed for going under one bridge one time.  That said, someone may have been speculating it could eventually be needed again.

12 hours ago, Armac said:

Wow. I remember when Oasis came out. I said this is great, prices will drop after a few months because they will never be able to fill that big a ship every week. Shows you how much I know

I said the same thing when Disney was planning a 3rd/4th ship.

The jokes on me as the prices more than doubled since thy built those ships and haven't sailed on Disney since they only had the 2 ships.

I'd rather book 2 RCI cruise with the same money I'd pay for one cruise on Disney.

15 hours ago, Glitterati said:

I hope they decide to home one in Southampton. The UK market has little competition at the moment. A majority of Brits cruise with P&O, and most of their ships are based in Southampton in the summer months, with a handful going elsewhere in the winter for the sun. They have just released their biggest ship, "Iona", which apparently is selling very well. 

Independence has always fared well. I wonder if they are using the Anthem to understand the interest in  super ships from the UK. They would have to run her on a 12 night/2 week cruise to get over to the ports that could hold her in Western Europe! 

I would love it. As convenient and well priced P&O are, it is just a bit too British for me. I go on holiday to escape the UK! 

I would DEFINITELY want to try an Oasis class if one came to Southampton!  Even one of the older ones!  It's the only class I really want to sail on that I haven't yet!! 

9 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

My understanding was the stack was retractable, but the mechanism was disabled and possibly removed at some point shortly after delivery.  I'm not sure if they are reactivating the original equipment or installing something new and more robust.  After all, the initial stack was basically designed for going under one bridge one time.  That said, someone may have been speculating it could eventually be needed again.

We need @John&LaLa, who is currently on Oasis, to post a pic to the funnels - you can see the cogs that are part of the retraction functionality on the two main ones, but there seems to be a fixed one (perhaps added later) on a third funnel.

Biker, who stared at the funnels while waiting in line at the Flowrider on Oasis last month pondering this issue.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

We need @John&LaLa, who is currently on Oasis, to post a pic to the funnels - you can see the cogs that are part of the retraction functionality on the two main ones, but there seems to be a fixed one (perhaps added later) on a third funnel.

The third funnel was added later as part of the scrubber retrofit. I wouldn't be surprised if that third one is not retractable. There seems to be some debate about whether Oasis can fit under the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge with the funnels fully extended. I guess we'll find out next year.

16 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Pretty sure they have figured it out as they have been selling the itineraries for a few months now.  The stacks were retractable when Oasis was first launched and she has a drydock scheduled for this fall if they need to do any additional modifications.

I didn’t realize they were selling the itineraries yet. I guess they do have it figured out. Looking forward to sailing Oasis out of NJ next year. 

13 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

What strikes me is the increase in the double occupancy count of 196 pax.

Good point. 

I also noticed what was said on the first paragraph of that article.

Quote:

"The sixth Oasis-class cruise ship, ordered on Monday by Royal Caribbean Cruises from Chantiers de l’Atlantique, will also be the biggest cruise ship in the world when she debuts in 2023."

Just now, Tall-Cruiser said:

Quote:

"The sixth Oasis-class cruise ship, ordered on Monday by Royal Caribbean Cruises from Chantiers de l’Atlantique, will also be the biggest cruise ship in the world when she debuts in 2023."

Unless that chart showing Icon at 232K GT is accurate.

17 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Not bad for a class of ships that a lot of people were writing off when the Oasis came out. We love the Oasis Class. Been on the Oasis, and are going on the Symphony March 2nd, and can't wait.

We have done everything but Oasis, and love them!  Have a great trip!!!