Tipping wait staff extra - how much?

Amberle3

26 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Generally speaking, no one ever posts that they "just give" the recommended amount.  Almost everyone "brags" how much they give.  So the stateroom gets $8.00 a day for 2 people times 7 days, times 20 rooms.  It's a nice amount and depending on country they are from, it's either a huge amount, or a small amount.  I was just rounding, but you get the picture.  But none of that is my business.  I brag that I prepay and leave it alone.  Before the internet, people gave in private sealed in an envelope without brag sessions. 

Assuming 10 weeks off between contracts, that's about $95,000 just in tips. Add in the wages that no knows how much they make, plus free food, no transportation costs.....that's a decent amount in any country.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input, it's been very helpful!

My boyfriend is a wonderful man, and a very generous and giving man.  He's also a "live in the moment" type and tends to forget things like oh yeah we have to pay the bill at the end of all of this.  

• Like 5

On 2/22/2019 at 2:27 PM, Joseph2017China said:

Generally speaking, no one ever posts that they "just give" the recommended amount.  Almost everyone "brags" how much they give.  So the stateroom gets $8.00 a day for 2 people times 7 days, times 20 rooms.  It's a nice amount and depending on country they are from, it's either a huge amount, or a small amount.  I was just rounding, but you get the picture.  But none of that is my business.  I brag that I prepay and leave it alone.  Before the internet, people gave in private sealed in an envelope without brag sessions. 

I think 20 rooms is a bit on the high side of your estimate.  I don't know what the exact number is, but I always seem to see several room stewards during the walk to my room, and I generally get a room fairly close to the elevator lobby.  

On 2/22/2019 at 3:00 PM, HBE4 said:

Assuming 10 weeks off between contracts, that's about $95,000 just in tips. Add in the wages that no knows how much they make, plus free food, no transportation costs.....that's a decent amount in any country.

As I stated above, I don't think the 20 rooms/week number is accurate.  I don't know the actual number, but I don't believe it's that high.

On 2/22/2019 at 10:48 AM, carmenOH said:

By the time we hand over our luggage to the time we walk off the ship we have probably dished out $200 in tips besides the daily gratuities and I think that would be about average for those that tip extra but I did read on this forum that the individual getting the tip can not keep it. It goes into a kitty to be divided up. Is this true? 

I have actually asked a couple staff members on different ships this question.  According to what they told me, if auto-grats are in place, they are allowed to keep any additional cash they are given.  If auto-grats are removed, they are expected to turn in any cash received so it can be distributed in the pool to the back-of-house employees as well.  

2 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I have actually asked a couple staff members on different ships this question.  According to what they told me, if auto-grats are in place, they are allowed to keep any additional cash they are given.  If auto-grats are removed, they are expected to turn in any cash received so it can be distributed in the pool to the back-of-house employees as well.  

It just doesn't make sense that the cruise line could keep up with which crew members received cash and from which customer they received it from.    Many people don't remove auto-grats until the last day, the cruise line would never be able to keep track who received cash prior to that.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, springfire said:

It just doesn't make sense that the cruise line could keep up with which crew members received cash and from which customer they received it from.    Many people don't remove auto-grats until the last day, the cruise line would never be able to keep track who received cash prior to that.  

I think it is probably a situation of there being a list each week of whose auto-grats were removed, and a supervisor going around to each employee after the cruise asking for the money for those particular rooms/tables.  

Of course, there's a bit of honor system involved.... but that's the case in all pooled tip situations.  And the other employees tend to keep things somewhat regulated.... while there are people (like some who posted in this thread) who remove auto-grats and don't tip at all, obviously if one employee is NEVER turning in ANY cash from tip-removing cruisers, that's going to make the coworkers upset and affect the cheating worker's working and living situation.  

While these tipping threads are always "high-spirited" with responses, it's usually the same old posters who NEVER tip at all and ALWAYS remove the auto-tip -- I believe that the vast majority (particularly on Caribbean cruises with predominantly American passengers) leave the auto-tip in place at the bare minimum, meaning that the workers don't have to turn in cash most of the time and managers don't have to track down cash for pooled tips from most workers.

Edited by brillohead

Just want to comment about what I saw the Head Waiter do on our last cruise on the last night.

A gentleman came over to him, was obviously thanking him, they were both laughing, etc. then apparently he put something in his hand.  After he left, the HW called over a waiter, showed him what was in his hand and they both laughed loudly.

I guess it wasn't enough.  

19 minutes ago, mafig said:

Just want to comment about what I saw the Head Waiter do on our last cruise on the last night.

A gentleman came over to him, was obviously thanking him, they were both laughing, etc. then apparently he put something in his hand.  After he left, the HW called over a waiter, showed him what was in his hand and they both laughed loudly.

I guess it wasn't enough.  

The joy of tipping! 🙄🤑

I feel like the 18% gratuity is already a tip that I am paying.  However, I will give the Room Steward something extra if I like them.  I've found them to be the most useful when I need something done or if I have a question.  

However, what do people do if you have My Time Dining and you have a different server each night?  

8 minutes ago, carmenOH said:

😂 At the people in this thread that are angry about how others choose to spend their money.

I don't think many are angry, it has been an open discussion which is what cruisecritic is all about.  I think people are surprised on both sides, about tipping and/or lack of tipping.  The more people know the better decision they will make.  I for one think anyway you tip is alright,  tip how you feel is right.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, fscool said:

I feel like the 18% gratuity is already a tip that I am paying.  However, I will give the Room Steward something extra if I like them.  I've found them to be the most useful when I need something done or if I have a question.  

However, what do people do if you have My Time Dining and you have a different server each night?  

we tip the wait staff nightly and the bar staff per drink. We wait until the last night to tip the room steward.

9 minutes ago, saltycat said:

we tip the wait staff nightly and the bar staff per drink. We wait until the last night to tip the room steward.

I like to give half of the extra tip to the room steward on day 1.  I think it might help him be extra motivated. 🙂

10 hours ago, jned said:

I tip the stateroom attendant, waiter, and assistant waiter each an extra $75.

if tips is based on service I could never tip my assistant waiter more than my waiter and last but not least 75$ over the aut tipping will never happen thats a lot in my opinion. 

Prepay your gratuities and that means an 18% tip is already there. There is nothing wrong with someone not paying more. We like to tip more where we feel the extra is warranted. I agree, we would never tip the assistant the same as the main waiter. What anyone else tips is nobody else's business.

6 hours ago, fscool said:

With MTD, I just leave the auto-grats in place (as I do with regular dining) and only tip extra for people who go above and beyond. 

We had an AMAZING waiter on Harmony in June, and he took us on as an extra table the next night too (our table wasn't in his section, which was full) and he just WOWed us with his personality and service.  I did slip some cash in his hand (and the assistant waiter too, who was part of the WOW service we received those last two nights) as I said goodbye on the last night.  

For me, giving extra cash to MDR waitstaff beyond what they get from the auto-grat is a function of how the relationship developed over the course of the week, which is something you don't normally get a chance to do with MTD waitstaff.  Things like making sure my Diet Coke and water glasses are always full, knowing which bread rolls I like and making sure we have plenty of butter (our table DESTROYED the bread and butter bowls in June!), clearing plates in a reasonable time frame, showing a genuine interest in helping make our vacation pleasurable... those are reasons I give a little extra cash at the end of the week.  If the waitstaff just does the bare minimum, or I have to continually ask for more water, butter, etc., then I wouldn't give extra cash over and above the auto-grat. 

Fortunately, I've never had waitstaff in the MDR that didn't warrant a cash bonus.  They've always been full of smiles and happy to help with anything I requested.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1