Dining help - the basics

cottonballs99

Please help me understand the dining situation on cruises.  I feel like I've gotten a good grasp on other topics, but dining is overwhelming.

FYI - we are sailing RCI summer 2019, family of 4, one with a nut allergy.

1. Do we eat dinner in the MDR every night? If so, must we schedule this time? I see that I can do "my time dining" reservations.  Do I want to do that, even if I don't know if we want to eat in the MDR?

2. Are there meals in the MDR for breakfast and lunch too?

3. Where else can we eat that is "included"? 

4. What about room service? Included? (although I realize a tip may be appropriate here)

5. If we don't schedule My Time Dining in the MDR, can we still eat in there? Or we just choose a different restaurant?

6. I did fill out a form online through RCI about the allergy.  I assume I will need to mention it at meals? Or at a buffet? Anybody know how this works?

MANY MANY THANKS in advance for your help.  

55 minutes ago, cottonballs99 said:

1. Do we eat dinner in the MDR every night? If so, must we schedule this time? I see that I can do "my time dining" reservations.  Do I want to do that, even if I don't know if we want to eat in the MDR?

I think there have been some changes to this over the last year, and it actually MAY vary from ship to ship.  Last year, we had MTD on Anthem of the Seas, we arrived at 5:30 on the first night, were seated and were able to decide to keep the same table/head waiter and staff for the entire cruise and just walked in and sat at our table for that seating all week.

57 minutes ago, cottonballs99 said:

Breakfast, yes, thought may depend on the day (port or sea day).  I recall eating in the MDR on the first sea day but I think we just did the WindJammer the rest of the week.

58 minutes ago, cottonballs99 said:

Depends on the ship, as far a what venues are available.  MDR, WindJammer, Sorrento's (pizza), Promenade Cafe are all included.

59 minutes ago, cottonballs99 said:

6. I did fill out a form online through RCI about the allergy.  I assume I will need to mention it at meals? Or at a buffet? Anybody know how this works?

ABSOLUTELY mention it to your head waiter, this is where you'll want to be sure to keep the same waiter.  They will be very accommodating to the allergy concern.  Also be sure to mention it at the WJ when making food selection.

Your options for dinner are the MDR, the buffet, specialty restaurants, room service, or any other open venue.

With regards to the MDR:

You will one of three dining times, Early Traditional, Late Traditional, or MTD. If you have early or late, that is when you go to dinner in the MDR. For MTD, you either go when you wish, or make a reservation. If you have traditional, if you know you won't be eating in the MDR the following night, it is polite to let your tablemates and waitstaff know so they don't wait for you. If you decide just not to eat there, don't worry about it.

5 hours ago, cottonballs99 said:

Please help me understand the dining situation on cruises.  I feel like I've gotten a good grasp on other topics, but dining is overwhelming.

FYI - we are sailing RCI summer 2019, family of 4, one with a nut allergy.

You can eat dinner in the MDR every night if you like.  You have a choice of early or late dining and this can be scheduled through your travel agent, call Royal directly, or through your cruise planner online.  You can also choose to do MTD if you prefer.  You can also eat dinner at Specialty restaurants but with extra charge.  There is also the Windjammer Buffet...same food served in the MDR, but in a more casual atmosphere.

Yes.

It looks like you'll be on the Ovation of the Seas...there's Cafe270, Sorrentos, Solarium Bistro,...just to name a few.  On your first day, it's fun to spend some time and walk from deck to deck...to see what's available.

4. What about room service? Included? (although I realize a tip may be appropriate here)

Continental breakfast is still free, otherwise there's a charge of $7.95 for every order...not per item.

5. If we don't schedule My Time Dining in the MDR, can we still eat in there? Or we just choose a different restaurant?

Typically, once you have the scheduled "Traditional Dining"...you can't.  However, if you try going to MTD, they may accommodate you.

I have food allergies but have never actually informed Royal...we are just careful and vigilant to what we eat.  Sorry, can't answer this question.

MANY MANY THANKS in advance for your help.  

52 minutes ago, cottonballs99 said:

Is there even a MDR on Ovation? I just see various restaurants/eating venues.  I'm so confused!

The Ovation was originally designed for what RCI called "Dynamic Dining"...where you can choose to eat at different venues...many complained...and it went back to Traditional Dining.

The four dining rooms on the Ovation are: The Chic, Grande, American Icon, and Silk.  When we sailed the Ovation (on her for a wonderful 34 days), the Silk was designated as MTD, and the other 3 dining venues as Traditional dining rooms.  During your sailing, this can/may change.

Hope that helps.  It may also be a good idea to post your specific questions on the Royal Caribbean board.  Happy Sailing! :classic_smile:

Ok - thank you.  A few follow ups --

Bonsai - that is very helpful! I was looking for an "MDR" on the deck plans and couldn't fid anything and honestly didn't know what I was supposed to look for.  It says dress is "Smart casual".  Any input on what this might mean?

shipgeeks - good info about when things are/aren't available.  Is this something that will be printed on our newsletter daily?  

And thanks for the feedback about the allergies.  

"Smart Casual" to us means...collared shirt and slacks for men...and simple dress, pants/capri,  or blouse for women.  For Royal Caribbean, (for breakfast or lunch in the MDR), shorts and T-shirts are acceptable...tank-tops, swimwear, and flip-flops are not allowed.  For dinner in the MDR, typically tank-tops, shorts, T-shirts, swimwear and flip-flops are not allowed. (In recent years, the dress code has been more relaxed and we have seen more and more passengers wearing shorts for dinner and tank-tops for lunch in the MDR specially on cruises in the Caribbean.  We haven't seen anyone denied access to the MDR because of their outfit.  (When I was much younger, I remember being denied access to the MDR for breakfast and lunch when I was wearing a tank-top.)

Disclosure: The topic of "what to wear" is a hotly debated topic...there are those that could care less what you wear...there are those that are offended to what you wear...there are those that follow "suggested" attire and those that say "we are on vacation and I'll wear what I want"...there are those that still wear gowns and tuxedos on formal nights...and those that don't bring formal clothes because of luggage limitations......the bottom line for us is this: We are old school, we respect and follow the "suggested" attire for the evening...we wear what's appropriate when eating in the MDR and more importantly, we wear what's comfortable for us.  No matter what you decide to do...have fun and Happy Sailing! :classic_smile:

Cottonballs, Yes, times and places and other info will be printed in your daily paper.  And thank you for asking that question.  Reading it is, IMO, one of the most important things to do every day.  It will most likely be delivered to your stateroom each evening.  I mark the activities I might want to do, and also the food venues opening and closing times. Oh, and the time you have to be back aboard if you go ashore in a port!

WRT to the nut allergy, if you will be eating in the MDR, I would recommend going there and talking to them as soon as you board.  They may or may not get the word from corporate.    They may even have you talk with the chef to make sure they are ready for this.

If you have traditional dining, you will be seated at the same table with the same servers every night, and I would mention the allergy on the first night.

If you do MTD, if you make reservations, you can ask for the same table/server.  If you walk up, they may not have a table in that servers area.  Although, we have had them send our preferred server to the table that was available, if it was near enough to do so.

If you decide to eat in a specialty restaurant when you book it. mention the allergy.

I would be careful in the buffet, and ask about the foods.  But also be careful of cross contamination.  People are not always careful with not using a serving utensil in two different trays of food.  If you see this, if you point it out, one of the worker should exchange that utensil for a clean one, but the trays of food may still have traces of the other tray's contents.

I do disagree with one poster, the buffet food is not the same as the dining room.  Somethings some of the dining room foods are on the buffet, and other times there are not any.  And the buffet will have a number of things that are not on the MDR menu.

Edited by SRF

6 hours ago, SRF said:

I do disagree with one poster, the buffet food is not the same as the dining room.  Somethings some of the dining room foods are on the buffet, and other times there are not any.  And the buffet will have a number of things that are not on the MDR menu.

I stand corrected.  This is a far more accurate description of the Windjammer. Thank you.  Note: You can usually check the dinner menu (or lunch) for the MDR just outside the door.  For the Windjammer, they sometimes place a sign if there's a special dinner such as Indian, Chinese, etc.

Breakfast is served EVERY day in the dining room.  It's very casual...shorts/tees,etc...are the outfit of the day.  Lunch is served on SEA DAYS only.  The WJ is open for all meals, everyday.  Depending on your ship, there will be other include places....sandwiches, cookies, pastry, pizza....stuff like that.  There are also  "specialty restaurants" where you pay an additional fee to eat there.  That's up to you, it's not necessary, but it's available.

Traditional seating times...there are 2 of them.  Main (early) seating and Late seating.  If you want that, you will go at the same time, to the same table nightly (or when you want to use the dining room).  If you choose MTD,  (same menu, same dress suggestion), you can go during any of the "open" hours.  You can either make reservations, or simply show up...just like at most land-based restaurants.  You may or may not have the same table/servers nightly.

If you use the dining room for breakfast or lunch, there are no "assigned" tables. Simply show up and be seated.

The one BIG thing is, if you have traditional dining, and you will NOT be eating in the MDR, let them know that, so they don't hold up the meal for the rest of the table waiting for you.

If you have MTD and a reservation, and don't show up, it is just like a restaurant, they may hold a table for a bit, then they will seat someone there.  And if you show up too late, you may have to wait a bit.

16 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Breakfast is served EVERY day in the dining room.  It's very casual...shorts/tees,etc...are the outfit of the day.  Lunch is served on SEA DAYS only.  The WJ is open for all meals, everyday.  Depending on your ship, there will be other include places....sandwiches, cookies, pastry, pizza....stuff like that.  There are also  "specialty restaurants" where you pay an additional fee to eat there.  That's up to you, it's not necessary, but it's available.

Traditional seating times...there are 2 of them.  Main (early) seating and Late seating.  If you want that, you will go at the same time, to the same table nightly (or when you want to use the dining room).  If you choose MTD,  (same menu, same dress suggestion), you can go during any of the "open" hours.  You can either make reservations, or simply show up...just like at most land-based restaurants.  You may or may not have the same table/servers nightly.

If you use the dining room for breakfast or lunch, there are no "assigned" tables. Simply show up and be seated.

A few clarifications from CB's post:

Windjammer (buffet) is open for all meals, but does have several times it is shut down.  If you are hungry outside of those hours you may need Room Service (flat fee per order, free for continental breakfast).

Many specialty restaurants have an up-charge, but I think most RCCL ships also have eateries separate from the MDR and Windjammer that are also included in your fare: Sorrento's pizza, hot dog place (forget the name), Solarium Bistro, etc.

For breakfast and lunch you might be seated with others.  While it is more casual, I think tank tops are still prohibited for men and swimwear must be covered (although inside the ship you likely would wear more than a cover-up due to the AC).

On 2/28/2019 at 10:46 AM, pacruise804 said:

A few clarifications from CB's post:

Windjammer (buffet) is open for all meals, but does have several times it is shut down.  If you are hungry outside of those hours you may need Room Service (flat fee per order, free for continental breakfast).

Many specialty restaurants have an up-charge, but I think most RCCL ships also have eateries separate from the MDR and Windjammer that are also included in your fare: Sorrento's pizza, hot dog place (forget the name), Solarium Bistro, etc.

For breakfast and lunch you might be seated with others.  While it is more casual, I think tank tops are still prohibited for men and swimwear must be covered (although inside the ship you likely would wear more than a cover-up due to the AC).

Also, if you do opt for MTD and want the same table and servers each night, that can be arranged.

WOW! This is very helpful and has cleared up some of my confusion!

We will be cruising to Alaska, so it's unlikely we'll have tank tops and shorts, although you never know!  But all of this information has really been great.  Thank you all so much.  I'll be back if I think of more things!