One Main Course

djhsolara

The Culinary Council Menu seems to be a regular appearance on a cruise.  It is only "special" from the aspect that those items listed are "created"--I suppose the recipes for such--by the named Culinary Council Member.  My opinion:  some of what I have ordered are "hits"; many are not.  The printed "extra charge for another entree" has nothing to do with the Culinary Council Menu, I don't think.

14 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Can you confirm that this was in the MDR and was a regular dinner, not one with the Culinary Council? During our February 3rd cruise there was no surcharge, and our waiter frequently brought out a second entrée for us to sample. There definitely seems to be some confusion here.

OP did, in post 15. See below:

1 hour ago, djhsolara said:

Once again, we are in the Dining Room. No special dinner. No Culinary Council dinner. Just regular dinner in the Dining Room. 

This is very perplexing.  In all my cruises on HAL, I've never been at a table where anyone ordered 2 entrees.  Is this really such a huge problem that they need to charge $10 to tamp it down?  Doesn't affect me, but I still don't like it.  

Roz

11 minutes ago, Roz said:

I've never been at a table where anyone ordered 2 entrees.  

I have been.  Not just two entrees, but other items as well.  A woman at our table was a severe over-order.  Her husband did not follow her example, but she would almost always order several of the entrees, take a bite or two or three--that's it.  The waste of food was obscene in my mind.   The Steward would then serve the next item.  I was seated at a table for 7, second seating, and we never made it out of dinner in time to see the full show except for once on a 14 day cruise.

Roz:  it happens, as God is my witness.

Old Salt- So, those of us with dietary restrictions should pay extra? You've made this ignorant comment before.

My choice as a person as someone with Celiac Disease is either pay more or poison myself?

Thanks for your concern for humanity. Sorry that our genetics inconvenience you.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have been.  Not just two entrees, but other items as well.  A woman at our table was a severe over-order.  Her husband did not follow her example, but she would almost always order several of the entrees, take a bite or two or three--that's it.  The waste of food was obscene in my mind.   The Steward would then serve the next item.  I was seated at a table for 7, second seating, and we never made it out of dinner in time to see the full show except for once on a 14 day cruise.

Wonder if this new printed menu policy is part of the "passenger scoring" system we read about - and if this menu gets handed to "some" tables but not all?

10 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I'm not doubting it happens.  But this lady isn't typical, is she?  Maybe I'm just naïve.

Roz

5 minutes ago, Roz said:

I'm not doubting it happens.  But this lady isn't typical, is she?  Maybe I'm just naïve.

Roz

Our last cruise (not HAL) one couple at our table routinely ordered 2 or 3 appetizers/soups as well as at least 2 entrees each.  Now, they did eat them entirely.  They also ordered desert (1 or 2 each).

It does happen.  

12 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Wonder if this new printed menu policy is part of the "passenger scoring" system we read about - and if this menu gets handed to "some" tables but not all?

A "passenger scoring system"?  And, my table's menu differs from others in the MDR?  I highly doubt that!  The Galley and the Stewards have enough with which to deal! 

4 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I can't understand why anyone would want/need more than one entrée. Does this happen often?

Based on the responses to my comments, apparently it does.  Fortunately I've not been at a table where passengers felt the need to engorge themselves.

Roz

7 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I can't understand why anyone would want/need more than one entrée. Does this happen often?

HAL is trying to capture a new generation of cruisers - younger people have bigger appetites who don't necessarily play by the old traditional cruise "rules". Instead they may say free for me, whee .... ......

Edited by OlsSalt

I'm wondering if the steward made a mistake with what he said. He could be new, and have misunderstood the instructions. Or there could be some other reason there is a breakdown in communicating. I would ask him to double check with his superior, or maybe have a 3-way chat with his superior for clarification.
This doesn't sound right.

10 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Not that I have ever seen to any great degree. I'm always at a large table, too, so more opportunity to notice.

I know I once (once! in over 700 HAL dinners) wanted a second helping of the protein. It was a small piece of swordfish. It was very good, but not at all filling.
I asked. I received.

• Like 1

I am one of the people who will frequently order two entrees (at least on Celebrity -- and in fact liked the fact that Celebrity made their portions smaller). My wife and I will often order one entree each and another to try, or as a backup --- it allows us to try different foods than we otherwise would. Only in rare occasions would the entrees not be finished (unless one of the questionable ones turned out to be very poor). And we will also order multiple appetizers. One of the luxuries for us on a cruise is the ability to try different foods than we would order at home. We are just a few weeks away from our cruise, and I hope that the NS doesn't have this policy on our sailing.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

HAL is trying to capture a new generation of cruisers - younger people have bigger appetites 

Like my Brother and I once did.  As one matures, one's tummy seems to shrink in size and one's common sense seems to increase.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jareds_mommytoo said:

If you have as you wish dining, could you have dinner and come back later again 

If you mean open seating, they will know you have been around once already that night.