One Main Course

djhsolara

13 minutes ago, Jareds_mommytoo said:

I have a 17 year old that can finish off 2 meals without blinking 

More power to him!  Once upon a time, owners of buffet restaurants must have cringed when they saw my brother and me enter.  Now:  NO MORE!

1 hour ago, Jareds_mommytoo said:

I have a 17 year old that can finish off 2 meals without blinking 

I get ya. My ds has been like that for a year or so now and he has grown a lot in that time.  He and his dad lift weights too. Sometimes I feel like our family keep the local grocery store in business all by ourselves. Your teen can hit up the lido after dinner and even visit late night snack too though protein options at late night were sometimes meh. More comforty carbie stuff it seemed. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jareds_mommytoo said:

If you have as you wish dining, could you have dinner and come back later again 

At the Open seating dining, they ask you for your cabin number as you enter the dining room.  So no -- you can not come back later and order another dinner.

Go to the Lido if it is still open.

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I have been.  Not just two entrees, but other items as well.  A woman at our table was a severe over-order.  Her husband did not follow her example, but she would almost always order several of the entrees, take a bite or two or three--that's it.  The waste of food was obscene in my mind.   The Steward would then serve the next item.  I was seated at a table for 7, second seating, and we never made it out of dinner in time to see the full show except for once on a 14 day cruise.

Roz:  it happens, as God is my witness.

I agree, and have seen people bring many heaping plates from the Lido buffet to the table, go back for more, and leave 75% of it uneaten, most often on short Caribbean cruises. 

Cruise line marketing, especially at the short cruise/lower price scale companies, for years heavily promoted the idea of virtually unlimited food, with multi-course meals, snacks, elaborate theme midnight buffets, etc. They created a monster with people deciding, “I paid for this and I’m getting it” whether they were hungry or not.

I also recall waiters bringing a second entree unasked, when people were pondering out loud which of two good choices to order. I’ve always figured the waiters were angling for extra tips at the end of the cruise.

if cruise lines are discouraging this kind of waste of food, I’m all for it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sail7seas said:

I probably should add that in all our cuises, i never once  asked for two entrees,  BUT, they are playing a controversial  game  

The only time I have ordered a second entre was when my first choice was either over cooked or I didn't like the dish and ordered something different. I had a steak once I remember that was so tough it was inedible so I ordered something different as a second entrée.

@richwmn posted the Culinary Council menu from his Nieuw Statendam cruise.  It is the same menu as posted above, but does not have the notation of $10 charge for additional entree, nor did any of the menus he posted for the last 2 weeks.

Hopefully we will get reports from other ships to say what is going on.

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Couldn't get your link to open.

When you click the link it just downloads the pdf.  You should see a box pop up in the lower left corner of the screen that says 1386047400_Feb2....pdf.  Click on that.

Is it true if you order 2 main courses they charge you 

on NCL the portions were sosmall my son ordered 2 roast beefs ...he is 6,5 needs nousishment ....I hope HAL has not done this 

certain evenings we are very hungry ,...there should be no limits like before 

why is everyone getting so cheap ???

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

@richwmn posted the Culinary Council menu from his Nieuw Statendam cruise.  It is the same menu as posted above, but does not have the notation of $10 charge for additional entree, nor did any of the menus he posted for the last 2 weeks.

Hopefully we will get reports from other ships to say what is going on.

So could be a test on NA before it goes fleet wide.

10 minutes ago, Minoushka said:

why is everyone getting so cheap ???

It is called keeping costs down to keep prices down. From what I have read in this thread it doesn't sound like this is a policy fleetwide as of today at least.

I have been on various cruises where I (or my kids if they were with me) have seemed a little indecisive about which dish to order, and the waiter would actually just offer to bring both options....sometimes they would just bring the other one without even asking.  It's never been a case of "needing" two entrees, but it's always been one of the more endearing aspects of cruising.

• Like 4

It strikes me that there has been no confirmation that HAL has actually implemented a "one entry only" policy, and there is much confusion here as to whether it actually exists or whether mistakes were made in the menus.  Hopefully, all the indignation expressed  herein is for naught.

• Like 3

My Dh and I would frequently order three mains between the two of us.  He needs wants more protein than I do and I like to try different foods. I would much rather him have a second main/protein than fill up on appetizer and dessert because there is no charge.   

For what it's worth -

As I mentioned before, the menus I post are downloaded from Navigator. Tonight's menu is already available and is attached. I went downstairs to see if it was posted by the dining room and it wasn't, but attendants were there finishing breakfast and when asked provided a copy as well as yesterday's. The copy that was provided is identical to that downloaded with the exception that the download does not contain a page marked "After Dinner" and includes Deserts and Drinks. There is no mention on today's menu about a $10 charge for multiple entrees.

I also thought to ask for a copy of last night's menu and after a very short search was provided the page for Starters and Mains. Again, there is no mention of the $10 charge for multiple entrees.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I also thought to ask for a copy of last night's menu and after a very short search was provided the page for Starters and Mains. Again, there is no mention of the $10 charge for multiple entrees.

Which really doesn't surprise me. I continue to think that there was a communication issue between the OP and his waiter or between the waiter and his supervisor.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Which really doesn't surprise me. I continue to think that there was a communication issue between the OP and his waiter or between the waiter and his supervisor.

It appears to me that NA might have been a trial for an Upcharge on the Culinary Council meals on Saturday night, and the Server/Supervison didn't understand that it was for that particular meal only.