Oasis Class Ships

GloriaF

5 hours ago, GloriaF said:

Questions about the Broadway production show -- Is the same show presented all week?  Are reservations required, and if so how do I make reservations?  What other types of entertainment is offered during a 7 night cruise?

Thanks (in advance) again! 🙂

Yes, they only have one broadway production and it runs all week.  You make reservations for all the shows on the Oasis class, opens about 90 days prior to sailing IIRC.  On the Oasis itself I remember the broadway show, diving show, ice show, acrobat show along with the "regular" acts like comedians and singers.  

On 2/26/2019 at 9:38 AM, GloriaF said:

I'm new to RCCL, what can you tell me about the Oasis class ships?  We have cruised plenty, but are just coming to RCCL.

I know Oasis OTS was the first, and has recently come from dry dock.  And that Symphony OTS is the newest.  Where do Allure and Harmony fit in?  What are the differences in these ships (if any)?

I wish to have a small family celebration in November 2019 to celebrate our son's 50th birthday onboard one of these ships....a 7 day Carib cruise.  We are in the northeast FL area and will most likely drive to the port.  Port Canaveral is looking good to me since the drive is half that to FLL or Miami, and from my beginning research it seems Harmony will be home ported at Canaveral at that time.  My question is does Harmony have all the amenities (zip line, slides, etc) as the newer Symphony?  What are the differences in these ships?

Thank you for any help you can provide to this RCCL newbie!

We just got off the Harmony in January.  We loved it- our second time on it and we will have a third next year.   It is newer then the Oasis and Allure, but younger then the Symphony.  It is our favorite type of Royal ships.  

Found the adventure of the seas,  not nearly as nice, not as many activities or "Bells and Whistles".  You will see a Broadway show- we saw Grease it was wonderful!  Two different water shows, which were also wonderful!  But do not sit close or you will get wet!  Mid row seating the best.  You also will have Two different Ice shows.  This is in addition to a wonderful show- broadway quality- Columbus in the regular theatre.  In addition to Comedians and other entertainment.  Those members of your family that enjoy Surfing will enjoy that activity also.  They have a zip line also.  So many things for a multi generational family to enjoy.  While the Oasis is now in Port Canaveral, the Harmony is monving their in a few months.  Haven't been on the Symphony yet- but I am sure she is equally wonderful.  We also loved the Oasis and the Allure!  Each ship has different shows- but similar specialty restaurants.  

Enjoy.

=

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:33 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

I would not choose Oasis.  She is having a 69 day drydock / non revenue TA and her first sailing is Nov. 24.

Not sure about this.  I am currently booked on Oasis in May.  

44 minutes ago, davelinde said:

Yes, they only have one broadway production and it runs all week.  You make reservations for all the shows on the Oasis class, opens about 90 days prior to sailing IIRC.  On the Oasis itself I remember the broadway show, diving show, ice show, acrobat show along with the "regular" acts like comedians and singers.  

Usually shown 3 times. On our upcoming Allure it is on the first three days.

Sailed on Harmony February 3. Loved it.  Wanted deck 8 balcony but they were all booked so did 10570 ocean view balcony on deck 10. Very pleased with this cabin. Near the elevators and great views.  Great food venues.  Would suggest Wonderland if you are at all adventurous.  150 Central Park was amazing too. Sushi making class lots of fun.  Beautiful ship with lots to do.  

On 2/26/2019 at 11:50 AM, cruisinghawg said:

Deck 8 aft starboard side or any cabin on 8. Now you have a great reason to walk "home" through Central Park.

Another vote for deck 8.  We've had ocean view verandas on port side, deck 8, near the mid ship elevators for 5 Oasis class cruises. We love traversing the ship through Central Park. We usually grab breakfast at Park Cafe, a short walk from the room.

I think the biggest reason to pick one Oasis class ship over another might be related to having seen the shows on one versus the other.  So I would consider price, itinerary and your drive ahead of worrying about the nuance differences.

If torn between two book both but the REFUNDABLE version, and watch rates and explore excursions in ports (use a good trip advsr sort of site instead of rccl offerings) and when decide cancel the one you don't want.

Sometimes prices drop but until final payment can get a decrease, nothing you can do about price increases or changes to what cabins available.  

I also agree with being near an elevator to shrink the ship and using central park, promenade or pool deck as crossing paths from forward to aft (deck 5, 8, 15).

If not all in party need oceanview, some money could be saved with a boardwalk balcony across from oceanview; or central park.  There are perks to those cabins in addition to lower fares. Search on "neighborhood balcony perks" for details.

I'm going on Harmony Dec 1st! I am so excited to try an Oasis class ship and it's also my first time on RCI! I really wanted Symphony (coming from Maine it doesn't matter which port I fly to) but the Saturday departures on Symphony were harder to swing with days off from work than leaving on Sunday for Harmony. So that is another consideration to look at when deciding between. Otherwise, the other biggest differences I found when researching are slightly different Eastern Caribbean ports (but both still go to Perfect Day at Cococay for both Eastern and Western itineraries!) and the Broadway shows (Harmony has Grease, Symphony has Hairspray). Either way, you will have an amazing vacation! And maybe I will see you aboard Harmony!

4 hours ago, Steven_&_Daniel said:

Thanks. I understand there is a restaurant in the Solarium that is open to all. What hours is it available?

Breakfast and lunch are free. Dinner is a charge.

See daily compass for times.

9 hours ago, GloriaF said:

Questions about the Broadway production show -- Is the same show presented all week?  Are reservations required, and if so how do I make reservations?  What other types of entertainment is offered during a 7 night cruise?

Thanks (in advance) again! 🙂

The Broadway show is the same all week (Oasis: Cats, Allure: Mamma Mia, Harmony: Grease, Symphony: Hairspray).  On Oasis Class, reservations are required.  There are also Ice Skating Shows, AquaTheater Shows, Headliner Shows, an original RC musical production in the theater, and Comedy Shows.

Edited by Allura_317

15 minutes ago, ALSEAU said:

Breakfast and lunch are free. Dinner is a charge.

See daily compass for times.

My understanding was that only  a couple of items on the dinner menu are extra charge.

4 minutes ago, piescruises said:

When I was on Oasis dinner at the solarium was as free as the main dining room and it was empty.

Must have changed since we were on Oasis.  I remember it being free except for a lamb and another entree.

I agree with the others who recommend deck 8. It is so convenient to grab a sandwich or coffee at the Park Cafe in Central Park plus it has bars and music at night along with several specialty restaurants. Central Park is a great way to cut across the ship and avoid the heavy traffic on the Promenade. You will love the ship and November is a great month to cruise.

On 2/26/2019 at 8:38 AM, GloriaF said:

My question is does Harmony have all the amenities (zip line, slides, etc) as the newer Symphony?  What are the differences in these ships?

Here are things that Symphony has, but Harmony does not:

lazer tag

Playmakers sports bar (pay)

Hooked (pay)

el loco fresh quick Mexican food (free)

a horrible car instead of a cool one on the royal promenade 😉

a very hot Solarium (too hot for my DH)

Edited by vacationlover_mn
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Allura_317 said:

The Broadway show is the same all week (Oasis: Cats, Allure: Mamma Mia, Harmony: Grease, Symphony: Hairspray).  On Oasis Class, reservations are required.  There are also Ice Skating Shows, AquaTheater Shows, Headliner Shows, an original RC musical production in the theater, and Comedy Shows.

Weird thing on Symphony a few weeks ago- no Headliner!

12 hours ago, davelinde said:

And, just to clarify- the broadway production does NOT play every night... I’m trying to think back to my cruise on Symphony a few weeks ago, and I feel like it showed on 3 days of our trip?  I could be wrong...

3 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

We thought so 😞. I actually cut my time short there a couple of days, to go elsewhere to sit in the sun.  It felt like a greenhouse in there!!

We've never been on Harmony or Symphony, but have felt the same way about the Solarium on Oasis and Allure.  Not comfortable at all.