My Pet Peeve when cruising

evandbob

38 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Do not get me wrong as I am a big fan of the scooters and how they do help many folks who need this transportation support.  But it does seem that cruise ships have too many who either do not have a clue how to drive the things, or could care less about anyone else in their way!  We just wish that all those with scooters would be a little more careful when it comes to their movements.

Hank

So agree!  It hurts when they run into you!  :classic_ohmy:

Perhaps they should show that they can control them properly by queuing up with everyone else when checking in. If they can manoeuvre appropriately around the zigzagging ques with out hitting any of the stands or other passengers, they can board. If they cannot they can't.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:51 AM, evandbob said:

People moan about smoking, chair hogs, cutting in line, underaged kids where they shouldn't be, etc., but I rarely see this topic addressed.  I'm talking about cruisers re-using cups or filling their personal water bottles or Yeti Bubba Cup at the buffet juice, coffee or water dispensers.

The worst is when someone inserts the dispensing nozzle right into the mouth of their water bottle.  Great way to spread germs, jeez!  I've seen this on all the lines I've sailed so far from Carnival to Celebrity.  And the only time staff seem to care is after a noro outbreak.

I stopped using these dispensing machines years ago and have bottled water delivered to my cabin.  When I want coffee I can get it at the breakfast or brunch MDR or the coffee shop.  I just shake my head at so many pax doing something so gross without a care in the world.

You have obviously realized by this point that the cruise line you are sailing on carries a large number of people raised by wolves, who are not very clean nor polite.

There are hundreds of ships and dozens of cruise lines that carry people who behave better than the ones you are encountering.

You could continue to suffer with these people on your present cruise line,  and complain over and over with no improvement.

Or you could choose a better cruise line, avoid these issues, and have a happier life.

Of course, some people really enjoy complaining.

If you, by chance, are one of those - don't change anything.

• Like 1

Pet peeve - People who give me a dirty look because when I see a person in a wheel chair or scooter I usually say "excuse me" as I slide next to them.  I think they think I am trying to butt the line when in fact I am going to reach my arm in and hold the door from coming back and crashing into them as they try to roll over the ledges that the door rolls on.  So many people have done this to me and then look at me sheepishly when they realize I am only trying to help.  I saw a door roll back and hit a woman's arm once causing her a lot of pain so I made it a habit to do this when ever I see someone in a wheelchair or scooter.   I know too many people will rush into the elevator before a person with a wheelchair or scooter can get in.  Honestly in our world we all need to take the stairs more often and leave the elevators to those who truly need them.   

• Like 4

20 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The next time you are in a library on a ship and a person sneezes in your face what will you do? My thinking is that you will have a negative reaction .

I would have a negative reaction no matter where a person is when they sneeze in my face. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

You have obviously realized by this point that the cruise line you are sailing on carries a large number of people raised by wolves, who are not very clean nor polite.

There are hundreds of ships and dozens of cruise lines that carry people who behave better than the ones you are encountering.

You could continue to suffer with these people on your present cruise line,  and complain over and over with no improvement.

Or you could choose a better cruise line, avoid these issues, and have a happier life.

Of course, some people really enjoy complaining.

If you, by chance, are one of those - don't change anything.

So I haven't sailed Oceania or Crystal or other fru fru lines, but just the main mass lines:  Carnival, NCL, Disney, Princess, Celebrity and RCCL.  I've observed pax on every one of my 50+ cruises use empty and used water bottles and cups at buffet dispensers.

But it's a pretty broad brush you're using to say all these pax were all "raised by wolves. not very clean or polite".  Some perhaps, but certainly not all.

When you purchase my fare for one of the better cruise lines you extol, I'll probably decline it.  If you like it, it must be way too sophisticated for my tastes.

I enjoy cruising, have a happy life, and stated I just shake my head at those pax.  I even stated my coping methods for avoiding having this issue affect me or my health.

On 3/2/2019 at 11:43 AM, NLH Arizona said:

The problem I see with this is that others see this and they think it is okay to fill their water container from the dispenser, even if their mouthpiece touchs the dispenser.  I always fill mine with a glass and hope that others do as well.

I would be tempted to lean over and spit on their cup. 😄

11 hours ago, evandbob said:

So I haven't sailed Oceania or Crystal or other fru fru lines, but just the main mass lines:  Carnival, NCL, Disney, Princess, Celebrity and RCCL.  I've observed pax on every one of my 50+ cruises use empty and used water bottles and cups at buffet dispensers.

But it's a pretty broad brush you're using to say all these pax were all "raised by wolves. not very clean or polite".  Some perhaps, but certainly not all.

I agree.  I find the broad generalizations very frustrating as well.  The fact is, people choose a cruise line based on many factors, including budget, on-board atmosphere, activities and shows, itinerary, loyalty programs, and more.  I know plenty of people who could easily afford (and have been on) top tier lines that frequent RCI, X, and other mainstream or "premium" mainstream lines.

It also assumes that because that and expensive, sophisticated line won't have people sneezing without using tissues and always washing their hand.  In my experience that's difficult to substantiate.  Even in those groups, you get the good and the bad.

The point is, there isn't a simple solution that both 1) provides the experience someone is looking for and 2) prevents you from experiencing certain behavior from other passengers.  I'm not sure what the motivations are for people who suggest this, but there posts often seem more pretentious than helpful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AL3XCruise said:

I'm not sure what the motivations are for people who suggest this, but there posts often seem more pretentious than helpful.

I get suspicious when folks seem to have this need to make a show of their supposed elite culture.         

53 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I get suspicious when folks seem to have this need to make a show of their supposed elite culture.         

Agreed, I am not elite in any way, and no one would consider me such except my dog and my grandchild, however, I do have Elite status on both X and Princess. Goes to show they let nearly anyone become Elite.

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2019 at 8:47 PM, MicCanberra said:

Agreed, I am not elite in any way, and no one would consider me such except my dog and my grandchild, however, I do have Elite status on both X and Princess. Goes to show they let nearly anyone become Elite.

14 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

Yep, the even let me become Elite on Celebrity.

Happy to see I'm in good company. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

On 3/3/2019 at 9:11 AM, Hflors said:

Pet peeve - People who give me a dirty look because when I see a person in a wheel chair or scooter I usually say "excuse me" as I slide next to them.  I think they think I am trying to butt the line when in fact I am going to reach my arm in and hold the door from coming back and crashing into them as they try to roll over the ledges that the door rolls on.  So many people have done this to me and then look at me sheepishly when they realize I am only trying to help.  I saw a door roll back and hit a woman's arm once causing her a lot of pain so I made it a habit to do this when ever I see someone in a wheelchair or scooter.   I know too many people will rush into the elevator before a person with a wheelchair or scooter can get in.  Honestly in our world we all need to take the stairs more often and leave the elevators to those who truly need them.   

Proper courtesy is to ask the people if they need assistance before acting.  A simple , "Can I get that for you" signals you are there and willing to help. Sometimes people are trying to learn independence skills and want to give something a try before hoping for assistance.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Good manners would eliminate many of the pet peeve's but alas, it is too much to hope for.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Good manners would eliminate many of the pet peeve's but alas, it is too much to hope for.

When I was growing up ,many,many years ago everyone it seemed had good manners.

10 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Proper courtesy is to ask the people if they need assistance before acting.  A simple , "Can I get that for you" signals you are there and willing to help. Sometimes people are trying to learn independence skills and want to give something a try before hoping for assistance.  

Come on now.  Are you seriously suggesting it is discourteous to hold the door for someone in a wheelchair without getting their approval?  The number of people who would object to someone holding a door for them is minuscule. 

12 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I fill my water bottle at the dispenser. I use the touch-button dispensers where nothing on the bottle touches anything. What was I raised by?

People who don't think it's important to follow the rules. There are always signs telling you not to do what you do.