Hope Princess does not begin doing this ...

PekingeseLady

After reading here there is some great info but let’s also not forget. CCL buying power is huge and they lay far less then anyone plus we pay tips to cover wages. I still think that we need to put our foot down otherwise you will be paying for eveything. Also remember princess is out under the same management as holland America

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, BCCRUSINGCOUPLE said:

After reading here there is some great info but let’s also not forget. CCL buying power is huge and they lay far less then anyone plus we pay tips to cover wages. I still think that we need to put our foot down otherwise you will be paying for eveything. Also remember princess is out under the same management as holland America

Right now there’s no place to put our foot down because nothings happened yet. Until the decision in question affects Princess there’s not a whole lot to do. 

As the saying goes... “you need to pick your fights”... I’m not so sure this ones worth fighting for. 

Glenn

On 3/2/2019 at 9:50 PM, Belle said:

Remember this is Holland trying it. Not Princess. You still can get extra in the MDR.

Princess only charges extra if you want the Crown dinner in the MDR. To me if

I wanted the Crown dinner I would go to the Crown.

I was just on the regal princess last month and ate in the crown grill one night. They have a policy at that specialty restaurant that you can order 1 main entree but as many apps/sides and desserts as you want. If you want an additional main entree there is a 10 dollar fee (in addition to the 29pp fee to eat there(

• Like 1

Right now there’s no place to put our foot down because nothings happened yet. Until the decision in question affects Princess there’s not a whole lot to do. 
As the saying goes... “you need to pick your fights”... I’m not so sure this ones worth fighting for. 

Glenn

I agree all I am saying is if they try this or make a change we need to step up.

30 minutes ago, dimiegirl said:

I was just on the regal princess last month and ate in the crown grill one night. They have a policy at that specialty restaurant that you can order 1 main entree but as many apps/sides and desserts as you want. If you want an additional main entree there is a 10 dollar fee (in addition to the 29pp fee to eat there(

We can't even manage to eat the amount of food they give you without ordering extra sides or extra entrees. We'll be eating in Crown Grill on our next cruise but only because we have it included as a perk. Otherwise it's kind of a waste for us as we simply can't eat that much.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We can't even manage to eat the amount of food they give you without ordering extra sides or extra entrees. We'll be eating in Crown Grill on our next cruise but only because we have it included as a perk. Otherwise it's kind of a waste for us as we simply can't eat that much.

They instituted that additional Crown Grill charge quite some time ago.

I agree it is a lot of food without ordering an extra entree.

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2019 at 1:14 PM, Thrak said:

I was glad when they got rid of those big platter sized plates in the buffet. I used to see people pile those things high and then leave half the food uneaten. There were probably people who complained about that change but I though it was a good one. We'll just have to wait and see how this thing goes on HAL and if Princess adopts it. I'm not going to get worked up about something that may not happen.

I like a cup of Oatmeal in the morning or a cup of soup with lunch.   It was so much easier to carry things with the platters because I could just put the cup on the platter along with my other food. Sigh.

On 3/2/2019 at 4:22 PM, Shmoo here said:

Doesn't Princess have an extra charge for specific entrees on certain menus?   

Yes they do, and I never understood that option in the MDR.  If I want to order the Steakhouse entrees, I may as well go to the Steakhouse and eat there.  Most of the time we eat a big lunch at the buffet and only snacks for dinner like cheese and crackers and wine on our balcony.  Works for us.

5 minutes ago, elliair said:

Yes they do, and I never understood that option in the MDR.  If I want to order the Steakhouse entrees, I may as well go to the Steakhouse and eat there.  Most of the time we eat a big lunch at the buffet and only snacks for dinner like cheese and crackers and wine on our balcony.  Works for us.

There are times when I just want the steak and not all of the other stuff so I order it in the MDR and save a few dollars doing so. 

I’ll stray a tiny bit here by saying I work in the oil industry in Northern Canada and I stay in work camps when I’m on shift. 1500 person camps to 4000 people camps. The food is served buffet style except that the kitchen staff plate our meals, which is good if you’ve spent any amount of time watching people use the buffet. I have done my share of eating this style. 

I hate buffets, more for sanitation reasons than food quality and when food prep is done for the masses it becomes institutionalized and quality and taste take a back seat to production. 

Thats why I’ll intend on doing the MDR 100% of the time. The food is still institutionalized but there’s an individual touch to it, the plating of the food isn’t haphazard and, from what I understand, MDR food is tastier. Plus, wine and buffet food do not mix well. 

If there’s an upcharge for an enhancement, my option to accept it or reject it comes into play and I can exercise my discretion. 

The charge for the second entree? I wouldn’t complain since there are other options. I love a good hot dog!

Glenn

On 3/2/2019 at 7:56 PM, Grburkart said:

Since when did this thread become a place where I’m getting a hard time because of what I paid for a cruise? And when does it become anybodies concern that my daughter and I are travelling to the other side of the world to enjoy a 22 day Mediterranean cruise in a mini suite, so much to the point that we need to engage in name calling?

Surely we need to realize that this thread is about two entrees on an HAL cruise ship. 

Also, no where did I mention anything about spending your money and what I do with my money doesn’t concern you. 

I stand by my post. 

Glenn

Best thing for you to do is ignore those kind of people.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

On 3/2/2019 at 3:02 PM, PekingeseLady said:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/3803/

OK, this has me freaked out,  the add testing on 4 ships,  ten dollars for a second entree. OMG. I realize it's Holland America but things like this tend to trend. I hope passengers scream loud and hard. 

Do you eat more than one entree at one sitting in the  MDR?

• Haha 1

I know I usually only ever one but I would be surprises if 30 percent took a second order. This is all another way to cut back and out more money in there pockets. I hope people on Hal kick up a storm as you know it’s gong to come to Princess is they get away with it.

On 3/4/2019 at 7:42 PM, elliair said:

I see this from a different angle.  You cannot always get a reservation at the Steakhouse and even if you can, maybe someone in your group doesn't eat that much or is a vegetarian.  I think this is a perfect option for one in the group to get their 'special meal' and it's cheaper to boot, even more so if only one person wants it.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

I cannot even imagine eating that much ... I am actually glad that they reduced the portion sizes as it is.  We were not allowed to waste food as kids and I still adhere to that rule now as an adult.  

• Like 3

I cannot even imagine eating that much ... I am actually glad that they reduced the portion sizes as it is.  We were not allowed to waste food as kids and I still adhere to that rule now as an adult.  

I am all about saving food and money but don’t cut the portion on where most people are still hungry then charge them 10 bucks

48 minutes ago, PekingeseLady said:

Not usually.  But on some occasions I have . Also we have ordered a extra entree that we could share, to try new things. 

Yes.  I’ve done the same. But usually an appetizer portion.  Like pasta.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

39 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I see this from a different angle.  You cannot always get a reservation at the Steakhouse and even if you can, maybe someone in your group doesn't eat that much or is a vegetarian.  I think this is a perfect option for one in the group to get their 'special meal' and it's cheaper to boot, even more so if only one person wants it.  

Agree.  I do not usually dine alone at a specialty restaurant .   But, I have been with those kind of PAXs  on a cruise for whatever their reasons, didn’t  want to dine at the CG.  So those kind of PAXs at our table would not mind just ordering a steak or chop entree only from the CG, and have it MDR.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Agree.  The reduced portion (entree) is fine with me.   If I wanted to eat more, I would go up to the pig trough at the HC ..where the food is “all you can eat”.  :classic_laugh:

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

It would be a perfect option if Princess had not reduced quality of or eliminated the previous beef items on the dining room menu. Now it is the only option to get a decent quality steak in the main dining room.

18 hours ago, BCCRUSINGCOUPLE said:

I am all about saving food and money but don’t cut the portion on where most people are still hungry then charge them 10 bucks

Still hungry after appetizer or salad, main dish with sides, bread, dessert for the 3rd meal of the day? We're well fed

• Like 1

BCCRUSINGCOUPLE:

In relation to your statement …..Also remember princess is out under the same management as holland America …..

My understanding is that when Carnival bought Princess all their lines were directly under the direction of Carnival.  Since that time, Carnival has moved Princess under the direction of Holland America for their everyday direction.  So if this test is successful with Holland America you can bet it will be instituted on Princess.

BCCRUSINGCOUPLE:

In relation to your statement …..Also remember princess is out under the same management as holland America …..

My understanding is that when Carnival bought Princess all their lines were directly under the direction of Carnival.  Since that time, Carnival has moved Princess under the direction of Holland America for their everyday direction.  So if this test is successful with Holland America you can bet it will be instituted on Princess.

Yup I know that is what I said earlier telling everyone we need to kick up a stink you give a inch they will take a mile. It’s all about making more money and people who have cruises a lot should be able to notice many changes and cut backs.

BCCRUSINGCOUPLE:

Yup I know that is what I said earlier telling everyone we need to kick up a stink you give a inch they will take a mile. It’s all about making more money and people who have cruises a lot should be able to notice many changes and cut backs.