Hope Princess does not begin doing this ...

PekingeseLady

6 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Besides there is a lot more wasted food in the buffets than the MDR.  Maybe this is the first step in charging for the MDR.

I was glad when they got rid of those big platter sized plates in the buffet. I used to see people pile those things high and then leave half the food uneaten. There were probably people who complained about that change but I though it was a good one. We'll just have to wait and see how this thing goes on HAL and if Princess adopts it. I'm not going to get worked up about something that may not happen.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I was glad when they got rid of those big platter sized plates in the buffet. I used to see people pile those things high and then leave half the food uneaten. There were probably people who complained about that change but I though it was a good one. We'll just have to wait and see how this thing goes on HAL and if Princess adopts it. I'm not going to get worked up about something that may not happen.

that's part of the entertainment. The balancing act while walking with an overloaded plate

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

When princess started putting pastas under entrees I was not too concerned. If the implemented the one entree only, there goes my pasta course. Sitmar was such a long time ago...

Since on Princess you can order an appertized size pasta, seems doing it that way it would not be counted as an entree. We still miss Sitmar!

Once again everyone, the $10.00 for a second entree is on HAL, not Princess .   

Edited by OCruisers

I'm sure to get flamed for this but I have to point out that cruising is about the best bargain you can find out there and if they have to implement something such as paying for a second dinner for those that want more than the normal serving to keep the prices down (and the waste down), I have zero problems with them doing this.  

I just have to point out, my first cruise was on the Carnival Jubilee with my friends back in the early 80's.  Our price was $700 pp + taxes for a 7 night Mexican Riveria cruise in an oceanview room.  I am paying less than $500 pp + taxes (with onboard credit to boot) for the same exact itinerary on a balcony on Princess in the spring ... over 35 years later.  I don't understand when people expect the same experience of decades before if the cruiselines didn't at least try to implement cost cutting measures.  

BTW, in today's value of $700 in 1982, adjusted for inflation, would equal nearly $1900 ... not even mentioning the value of a balcony over an oceanview cabin and Princess over Carnival ... oh, and the OBC.  Yes, taxes, gratuities and onboard expenses are more ... but they still don't come close to the $2400 value per double occupancy I still have in my pocket.  With value like this, it discredits those saying we are all getting nickeled and dimed to death. 

There are always going to be those lines where you can pay the extra and get the all inclusive eperience and I know many of you do pay more than I do because I book only when I find bargains, but the bargains can only occur because the bean counters implement these types of cost cutting measures.  If you're not in favor of it, there are luxury lines that will gladly take your extra dollars and provide you with both quality and quantity.   I've said this for years, you get what you pay for.   I am more than happy with getting a great experience that I can afford over getting an excellent experience I couldn't even touch.  Just my 2 cents.  

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I'm sure to get flamed for this but I have to point out that cruising is about the best bargain you can find out there and if they have to implement something such as paying for a second dinner for those that want more than the normal serving to keep the prices down (and the waste down), I have zero problems with them doing this.  

I just have to point out, my first cruise was on the Carnival Jubilee with my friends back in the early 80's.  Our price was $700 pp + taxes for a 7 night Mexican Riveria cruise in an oceanview room.  I am paying less than $500 pp + taxes (with onboard credit to boot) for the same exact itinerary on a balcony on Princess in the spring ... over 35 years later.  I don't understand when people expect the same experience of decades before if the cruiselines didn't at least try to implement cost cutting measures.  

BTW, in today's value of $700 in 1982, adjusted for inflation, would equal nearly $1900 ... not even mentioning the value of a balcony over an oceanview cabin and Princess over Carnival ... oh, and the OBC.  Yes, taxes, gratuities and onboard expenses are more ... but they still don't come close to the $2400 value per double occupancy I still have in my pocket.  With value like this, it discredits those saying we are all getting nickeled and dimed to death. 

There are always going to be those lines where you can pay the extra and get the all inclusive eperience and I know many of you do pay more than I do because I book only when I find bargains, but the bargains can only occur because the bean counters implement these types of cost cutting measures.  If you're not in favor of it, there are luxury lines that will gladly take your extra dollars and provide you with both quality and quantity.   I've said this for years, you get what you pay for.   I am more than happy with getting a great experience that I can afford over getting an excellent experience I couldn't even touch.  Just my 2 cents.  

👍

28 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Agree..   The alternative is charging a much higher price for the cruise  and then that would start a whole new thread.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

aww geez your using common sense/logic here,  I' m not sure this will be well received  lol

• Haha 1

I agree. Those people saying that you can find better deals traveling by staying in hotels must be looking in a different place than I am. 

We are staying in San Francisco for 2 nights before our next cruise. Average hotel price around $300/night. Eating at a restaurant, at least $60 for anything just sort of middle of the road. Bus pass was $80 for the hop on /hop off and a couple of attractions. Doesn't take much to really start adding up. Even McDonalds is $20 for two to eat.

Frame of reference: Our last camping trip was over $50/night just for the campsite and I had to book that several months in advance. Ever sat in a tent for three nights with six kids? It really sucks.

Edited by RMMariner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Gee. Well done and well written. I’m in total agreement. 

Funny thing is I tried writing those thoughts but in a different way and I faced the wrath! Good for you!

Glenn

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Well said.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

If this goes through, Princess will have to change its marketing slogan to Come Back Hungry

I can't imagine that being limited to a single entree without paying extra would cause anybody to go hungry. One of the things we like about eating in MDR is that the portions are small enough that we can have a starter, entree, and dessert without feeling stuffed and bloated. For those who love lobster night this could be an issue as the lobster is so incredibly small people usually have two (or more). For us, we have plenty to eat. Would you really go "hungry" without a second entree? Surely you could visit the buffet, pizzeria, grill, ice cream place...

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Grburkart said:

They just didn’t arbitrarily decide to take the chairs out of the rooms. They studied it, surveyed the situation, had meetings upon meeting and decided to do so to please a certain demographic. 

I doubt it was studied like that. I suspect someone calculated how much $$$ would be saved by not having a second chair in these cabins. The Majestic apparently did not have them when it was first launched and, having had few or no complaints (and not making it to a Cruise Critic thread), they concluded they were not needed on all the ships.

16 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

No paperclips on the menus I've seen. Two ships...Star and Ruby, IIRC they both had the extra charge entrees built into the menu.

On the Emerald in December it was on a small card tucked into the menu holder.

16 hours ago, Grburkart said:

Back to the topic at hand... same thing. If there’s an issue that’s needs addressing like wasted food, then they are working towards a solution. If it’s about the bottom line, as you suggest, then it’s a good place to start. 

If it is about  wasted food, then there is another issue they need to work on. When a second entree is requested, it comes with all the vegetables, potatoes or other items that accompany the main item.

If you ask for the main item by itself, the waiter brings out a fully plated entree and throws out all but that item before serving it to you.

Why? Because getting just the item itself is a special order and the waiter cannot just pick up a plate with just that item. He/she must wait for the extra time it takes the cook to prepare a plate without the unwanted vegetables, etc. Even if this less than a minute, it makes it harder for the waitstaff who find it easier to just throw out the unwanted food on the plate before serving it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Doubt It said:

But cruising is only one way to see the world, land vacations with private car, driver and guide are most wonderful. 

In presentations to stock analysts, Carnival Corp (which owns Princess) has stated that they just need to make a cruise cost less than a land vacation in order to grow the business.

However, I would not like Princess to become the Motel 6 of the seas.

15 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

The problem they really have is that they are building more and more ships.  To fill those ships they will have to keep dropping prices to attract more people or people will choose other ways to vacation.  

They are not dropping prices to fill the ship.

Princes in general are significantly higher than just a couple of years ago.

The last two cruises I have booked on Princess were booked about 15 months in advance. I keep track of pricing, and the prices only went up for those two cruises after I booked.

15 hours ago, Campbell soup said:

I sure hope that HAL's test is a failure. 

I bet it will be a success. Very few people will order an extra entree for $10. As a result, HAL will have lower food costs.

And if a few people are willing to pay the extra $10, well that is just extra $$$ to HAL for food they used to not get any money for.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Chocolate Mousse dessert in the shape of a heart.

PRINCESS-LOVE-DREAM-EDIT.jpg

But there have been serious cut backs even with the LBD.

a) There used to be a piecve of Godiva chocolate with the Sea Witch logo on it. This was eliminated several years ago with a chocolate stick replacing it. Then the chocolate stick disappeared.

b) It used to have a tasty, crunchy bottom. It now has a regular cake soft bottom.

c) It used to be extremely chocolately  rich. Now it is basically chocolate pudding.

21 minutes ago, caribill said:

If it is about  wasted food, then there is another issue they need to work on. When a second entree is requested, it comes with all the vegetables, potatoes or other items that accompany the main item.

If you ask for the main item by itself, the waiter brings out a fully plated entree and throws out all but that item before serving it to you.

Why? Because getting just the item itself is a special order and the waiter cannot just pick up a plate with just that item. He/she must wait for the extra time it takes the cook to prepare a plate without the unwanted vegetables, etc. Even if this less than a minute, it makes it harder for the waitstaff who find it easier to just throw out the unwanted food on the plate before serving it.

Yes. I agree. We’re saying the same thing. 

Glenn

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

I was glad when they got rid of those big platter sized plates in the buffet. I used to see people pile those things high and then leave half the food uneaten. There were probably people who complained about that change but I though it was a good one.

I am one of those who was unhappy with the change.

Usually I go to the buffet and bring breakfast back to the cabin for the two of us to eat. With the bigger platters, I could do this in one trip. With the smaller plates, it takes two and sometimes three trips.

I think this is a total joke and I hope everyone should be very upset and if you aren’t you will be this is the start of more nickel and dime. We have more people per ship rates are up less sea food dinners cut backs everywhere however CCL is making huge returns. Let’s stick together and tell princess no way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk