Hope Princess does not begin doing this ...

PekingeseLady

8 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I just have to point out, my first cruise was on the Carnival Jubilee with my friends back in the early 80's.  Our price was $700 pp + taxes for a 7 night Mexican Riveria cruise in an oceanview room.  I am paying less than $500 pp + taxes (with onboard credit to boot) for the same exact itinerary on a balcony on Princess in the spring ... over 35 years later.  I don't understand when people expect the same experience of decades before if the cruiselines didn't at least try to implement cost cutting measures.  

The Carnival Jubilee held less than 2000 passengers. Today Princess is building ships with twice that number of passengers, so the per passenger cost to Princess on a large capacity ship is much less than on a smaller ship. Yes, fuel costs are way up, but technology has made the ships much more fuel efficient.

The Carnival Jubilee held less than 2000 passengers. Today Princess is building ships with twice that number of passengers, so the per passenger cost to Princess on a large capacity ship is much less than on a smaller ship. Yes, fuel costs are way up, but technology has made the ships much more fuel efficient.

Yup you got it like a anything they will push as far as they can until we say no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

Hmmm. I respectfully question your analysis. Where is the money saving vs. Having more room in a suite? To calculate anything would involve some sort of study. Somewhere, somehow, sometime the decision was made to take out the chairs. The decision wasn’t made by the cruise director alone. Perhaps it was a collection of room steward complaints but, regardless, it wasn’t an off the cuff response to something. 

Glenn

a) Not having to purchase chairs for new ships

b) Not having to maintain/replace chairs on existing ships

Remember they tried to save $$$ on the Royal by not setting up the center staircase for passenger use above deck 7 even though the stairs were there.

Geniuses at HQ just think up new ways to save money without considering the effect on passengers.

2 minutes ago, BCCRUSINGCOUPLE said:

Yup you got it like a anything they will push as far as they can until we say no.

4 minutes ago, caribill said:

7 minutes ago, BCCRUSINGCOUPLE said:

I think this is a total joke and I hope everyone should be very upset and if you aren’t you will be this is the start of more nickel and dime. We have more people per ship rates are up less sea food dinners cut backs everywhere however CCL is making huge returns. Let’s stick together and tell princess no way

I think people are getting worked up over something that hasn’t happened yet and MAYBE never will happen. Some folks on CC tend to take things to heart and think of the worst scenario. We need to be reminded that we’re not cruise ship executives and we don’t coach our favourite NFL team. Sometimes decisions are made for reasons we don’t see. 

Glenn

• Like 1

Remember they tried to save $$$ on the Royal by not setting up the center staircase for passenger use above deck 7 even though the stairs were there.

Geniuses at HQ just think up new ways to save money without considering the effect on passengers.

You know good point drop a chair from every room on all ships I bet the savings are a lot higher then you think.

7 minutes ago, caribill said:

I still challenge your analysis. First of all they aren’t taking chairs out of the new ships. They are taking chairs out of specific ships in specific rooms for specific reasons. 

There is no way your going to convince me that after they spend ??? So many, many millions of dollars on a new ship that a chair would be missed to save money. 

Maintainance on a chair? I could only say that would be minimal. 

Glenn

I still challenge your analysis. First of all they aren’t taking chairs out of the new ships. They are taking chairs out of specific ships in specific rooms for specific reasons. 
There is no way your going to convince me that after they spend ??? So many, many millions of dollars on a new ship that a chair would be missed to save money. 
Maintainance on a chair? I could only say that would be minimal. 

Glenn

All I can say it starts with a chair next one roll of toilet paper per day 2 dollars for a extra roll.

5 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

Customer service told me they are taking the second chairs out of the lower class cabins on all the ships. The Majestic never had them in the first place.

8 minutes ago, BCCRUSINGCOUPLE said:

All I can say it starts with a chair next one roll of toilet paper per day 2 dollars for a extra roll.

I mean this with total humour that if you’re using more than one roll of TP a day, there’s other issues going on. 

Glenn

I just realised, I thought why a price for 2nd entree, why not the main meal?  Now I remember its different terminology down here in the southern side of the world.  For us, the entree is what you have before the main.  Silly me.  LOL 

Edited by reedy8
spelling error.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Actually, I think the cabin will be the same size without the second chair.

It is much like taking a shelf out of your closet and saying it was to give you more room in the closet. The closet remains the same size.

Duh, thank you.  That was the reasoning Princess gave an unhappy customer, it was not my reasoning.  I was using sarcasm.

On 3/3/2019 at 10:00 AM, LB_NJ said:

Besides there is a lot more wasted food in the buffets than the MDR.  Maybe this is the first step in charging for the MDR.

Curious as to how you know this to be the case.  For all we pax know, any leftover food from the buffet may go to the crew.

Edited by BarbinMich

20 hours ago, cheeseclan said:

BTW also read that Holland does not have production shows anymore. Can’t say for sure on that.  Maybe they are trying to get rid of customers😳

I don't know where you read this.  According to their website, they still offer production shows and other entertainment similar to what Princess offers.  We were on the Zuiderdam about 2 years ago and there was a nice variety in the theater.  https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/onboard-activities/cruise-entertainment/main-stage-show-lounge.html

9 hours ago, caribill said:

I am one of those who was unhappy with the change.

Usually I go to the buffet and bring breakfast back to the cabin for the two of us to eat. With the bigger platters, I could do this in one trip. With the smaller plates, it takes two and sometimes three trips.

I have to admit that never occurred to me. I was just used to seeing people with gigantic mounds of food on the platters and then seeing the half-eaten mess they left behind.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, caribill said:

Yet, it is still costing me less for a better cabin over 35 years later.  That was my only point.  

Ever since I started cruising, I have always used the standard of $100 a day pp for my basis of what I want to spend on my vacation.  If I can get a balcony for that, great!!!  If I get some free perks with that (such as OBC or free drinks, free gratuities), even better!  If I can get perks or OBC and it's under $100 pp per day  ... yooohooo!!  

Do I miss some of the niceties they used to provide?  Somewhat!!  But as mentioned, I have the option of paying more to get the luxury experience if those are a necessity. 

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I have to admit that never occurred to me. I was just used to seeing people with gigantic mounds of food on the platters and then seeing the half-eaten mess they left behind.

Thrak ... remember the outrage when they discontinued the trays in the buffet?  Now, you rarely hear it mentioned anymore.  

We disembarked the Crown Princess on Feb 25.  Did a B2B and had the same 10 day menu for each leg.  On formal night, they offered Filet Mignon.  If you wanted a rock lobster added to it, there was a $10 extra charge.  Before surf and turf was offered on formal nights at not extra charge.  Ships and trying to get every penny out of you.

14 hours ago, sfaaa said:

If this goes through, Princess will have to change its marketing slogan to Come Back Hungry. 

lol.. were just here to feed ya, not fattin' ya.

2 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

Curious as to how you know this to be the case.  For all we pax know, any leftover food from the buffet may go to the crew.

I don't the topic isn't about leftover food, I am talking about food a PAX takes and does not eat.

10 hours ago, Grburkart said:

I think people are getting worked up over something that hasn’t happened yet and MAYBE never will happen. Some folks on CC tend to take things to heart and think of the worst scenario. We need to be reminded that we’re not cruise ship executives and we don’t coach our favourite NFL team. Sometimes decisions are made for reasons we don’t see. 

Glenn

Agree

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:44 AM, Reina del Mar said:

Why would anyone need a second entrée?

Because they both sound tasty, and one of the things that makes cruising special is that it's a magical world where you can order two entrees and nobody cares. If they do have to implement this I think it should be limited to double meat orders with no extra charge if at least one of the entrees is pasta or vegetarian.

On 3/2/2019 at 9:30 PM, mevs904 said:

I’m not overly concerned about this possibility of a charge for a second entree.  I think the only time that we ever had two entrees was when our waiter spontaneously brought one to us because he thought we might enjoy it.  As I get ready for our next cruise later this month I’m thinking about how I can try not to eat too much, not more.  When it comes to cost saving measures I would rather have Princess do something like this rather than further reduce the quality and choices of everyone’s food.

Well said, totally agree!

The cost saving has to come from somewhere or the cruise fare would rise or quality would go down.

If there is no waste, the 2nd dish shouldn't be charged. But there should be a charge to prevent waste, no matter if it's in MDR or buffet.

Edited by aprilsp88

On 3/3/2019 at 12:32 PM, Grburkart said:

Ok I’ll bite! (No pun intended)

What is the Love Boat Dream?

Glenn

You have a lot to look forward to.....especially if you enjoy deserts.   :classic_tongue:

So when and where are you going on your first Princess Cruise?

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

39 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

You have a lot to look forward to.....especially if you enjoy deserts.   :classic_tongue:

So when and where are you going on your first Princess Cruise?

Enjoy your cruise.

Ya. Desserts are my weakness. Particularly ice cream. Ice cream topped with more ice cream! 

My cruise leaves October 13 from Barcelona. I am so looking forward to it! And thanks!

Glenn

5 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

Ya. Desserts are my weakness. Particularly ice cream. Ice cream topped with more ice cream! 

My cruise leaves October 13 from Barcelona. I am so looking forward to it! And thanks!

Glenn

Oh. Well MDR has excellent ice cream every night. Then again, perhaps you need to order the Volcano. It's on the kids menu but you can order from that menu any time you like. I've had it and many others have had it as well. It's ice cream and more ice cream. It''s actually a banana split but it's a lot of ice cream. (It may look a bit like soft serve in the pics but it's not.) The appearance of the Volcano differs from chef to chef. Here are a couple of pics:

1649114725_M6VmmFOhQ9ytp6vG4I3Dw.jpg.8ec

3528ACA9-4F8A-4375-BEF7-4331B90DFAC2.jpe

• Like 1