NRD need to change

The DW and I have Allure booked in the middle of November and our daughter just announced she is with child (first one) and due date of early November....no way DW (or Grammy!) will want to leave town for a month or two.....I asked TA and after he checked with RCI, was told it would cost $200 since it was a NRD......any ideas....we are flexible.......thanks

6 minutes ago, Friendofbillbob said:

The DW and I have Allure booked in the middle of November and our daughter just announced she is with child (first one) and due date of early November....no way DW (or Grammy!) will want to leave town for a month or two.....I asked TA and after he checked with RCI, was told it would cost $200 since it was a NRD......any ideas....we are flexible.......thanks

It’s not negotiable.  You will pay a $100 per person penalty to change ship or sail date.  The balance  if the deposit will be issues to a future cruise credit that has to be used within a year.  

Bottom line is you are out $200.

I went to book a Royal Caribbean Alaskan cruise for 2020, then I saw the non-refundable (NRD) deposit.  No way am I risking a $500.00 deposit for something so far into the future.  This is totally changing any future bookings.

2 minutes ago, Texas-Mac/TV said:

I went to book a Royal Caribbean Alaskan cruise for 2020, then I saw the non-refundable (NRD) deposit.  No way am I risking a $500.00 deposit for something so far into the future.  This is totally changing any future bookings.

Welcome to the new RCI...it's been this way for awhile...You can always book an RD and change it at a point in time to a NRD based on pricing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Texas-Mac/TV said:

Find a TA with group rates.  Fully refundable and cheaper than Royals current fares.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Find a TA with group rates.  Fully refundable and cheaper than Royals current fares.

Thanks Ashland and Ourusualbeach for the replies.  On the RCCL.com website, I was not offered a choice between refundable and non-refundable.  I am willing to book at a higher price a refundable deposit and then switch to non-refundable when I get closer to final pay and know that we will cruise for sure.

11 minutes ago, Texas-Mac/TV said:

Thanks Ashland and Ourusualbeach for the replies.  On the RCCL.com website, I was not offered a choice between refundable and non-refundable.  I am willing to book at a higher price a refundable deposit and then switch to non-refundable when I get closer to final pay and know that we will cruise for sure.

It's not obvious how to do it.

You go through the booking process, all the way through filling in names etc.  Then there will be a line with the option, "refundable deposit" with a dollar amount to add to the quote you have already seen.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Texas-Mac/TV said:

It's listed now at checkout on the page you choose Dining, prepaid Gratuities and will also list the additional cost if picking Refundable

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It’s not negotiable.  You will pay a $100 per person penalty to change ship or sail date.  The balance  if the deposit will be issues to a future cruise credit that has to be used within a year.  

Bottom line is you are out $200.

Apologies for hijacking!!!

Just to clarify, I have paid $400 NRD if I re-book a different ship they will transfer $200 (2 pax) to the new booking. IE: If the new deposit is $400 again I pay $200 plus the $200 from previous booking? Or pay the new $400 and that NRD $200 is used towards a different booking within 12 months?

Hope that makes sense???

Edited by Zeikah

5 hours ago, Zeikah said:

Just to clarify, I have paid $400 NRD if I re-book a different ship they will transfer $200 (2 pax) to the new booking. IE: If the new deposit is $400 again I pay $200 plus the $200 from previous booking? 

Correct. 

27 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I knew it was a matter of time before we started hearing from folks that did not realize that a refundable option was still available.  That said don't know of a way around forfeiting the $200 penalty

That's why they programmed the web site so the refundable is virtually invisible.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

That's why they programmed the web site so the refundable is virtually invisible.

It's crazy, as the refundable deposit fares are much higher than the NRD.  I liked it when you were able to see both fares on same page--now they've got you/they choose.  If the airlines can show 3 different rates per flight, I'm sure RCL can achieve the same rather than at end of process.  The flexibility is not even available via my TA web site--I need to call them.

2 minutes ago, nelblu said:

It's crazy, as the refundable deposit fares are much higher than the NRD.  

I think you are missing the point, RCI doesn't care that much about the extra revenue, they are getting folks accustomed to the day when they pull the plug altogether on refundable.

4 minutes ago, nelblu said:

It's crazy, as the refundable deposit fares are much higher than the NRD.  I liked it when you were able to see both fares on same page--now they've got you/they choose.  If the airlines can show 3 different rates per flight, I'm sure RCL can achieve the same rather than at end of process.  The flexibility is not even available via my TA web site--I need to call them.

RC does not want it to be easy, they are purposely being their normal self: deceptive.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zeikah said:

Apologies for hijacking!!!

Just to clarify, I have paid $400 NRD if I re-book a different ship they will transfer $200 (2 pax) to the new booking. IE: If the new deposit is $400 again I pay $200 plus the $200 from previous booking? Or pay the new $400 and that NRD $200 is used towards a different booking within 12 months?

Hope that makes sense???

No, as I understand it, you will pay the full deposit for the new cruise.

They will issue a Future Cruise Certificate for your original deposit, minus the $200.  That can be applied to your new cruise, but only for the balance of the cruise fare, not for the deposit.

Bottom line is the same, but the cash flow is slightly different.

10 minutes ago, SRF said:

No, as I understand it, you will pay the full deposit for the new cruise.

As with many other issues with RCI, this may depend on who you get on the phone - another poster reported that they were able to simply move the deposit and pay the diff.

I miss reasonably priced fare with refundable deposites (often the refundable fari is a bigger increase, than what the lost deposit would be if we needed to make a change).  On the other hand, airlines have done this for ages (refudable only when paying a HUGE premium---except SW) and no one bats an eye.  

10 minutes ago, Friendofbillbob said:

Any names of TA’s that are good?  I would love to find one that calls me with good deals...thanks

Against policy to post this information.....do the research yourself....sorry.

On 3/3/2019 at 9:55 PM, Friendofbillbob said:

A month or two? If you would lose $200 isn't that for a one-week cruise? If you book B2B NRD do you lose $100 per person per segment or $100 per person for the entire trip? 

14 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

A month or two? If you would lose $200 isn't that for a one-week cruise? If you book B2B NRD do you lose $100 per person per segment or $100 per person for the entire trip? 

Yes you would.  Each segment of a B2B is a separate cruise and each cruise carries its own cancellation penalties.