Do you tip twice??

tutuwahineLV

While this is in no way intended to start another argument about tipping, I am curious about something....

When you order drinks from the bar and the receipt includes the 15-18% tip, do you also leave another $1-2 dollars??  and if so, why?  

Do you feel bad if you don't add anything else?    

The 15-18% is perfectly adaquate  to me...and I'm not sure why most think we should still be adding more.  Please help me understand .....

Not every time we order drinks because the tip is already added to the bill.  Normally, an extra tip mid-cruise and at the end to bartenders who have served us very often.  :classic_wink:

Edited by OCruisers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tutuwahineLV said:

When you order drinks from the bar and the receipt includes the 15-18% tip, do you also leave another $1-2 dollars??  and if so, why?  

Once upon a time, I did.  I did so because I was getting a better drink when I did so.  Now, no, I don't.  If I patronize a particular bar frequently and am served by the same Steward/Bartender who recognizes me, is friendly, and is willing (when their time permits) to engage in some conversation, at the end of the cruise, I will give them an extra gratuity.

Most recently on the Nieuw Statendam when I gave my favorite bartender at Billboard Onboard an envelope with a tip, he did not put it into his pocket, but put it elsewhere in the area.  Now, my thinking is that such gratuities are not kept by the individual to whom it is given, but is shared with others working that lounge.  True or not:  will I still offer an additional gratuity to crew whom I think deserve it?  Yes, I will.

Hi Tutu

So in all the years that you have been a cruise critic member, you don't remember seeing any discussions on this subject before? Seriously...."you are not trying to start another argument about tipping". So you admit seeing these discussions before...what more do you think will be said now? 

Some people feel that if they tip extra/more they get better service, whether it's bar service, cabin service, the waiters, the porters. They know it's not necessary. Whether they are right or wrong in their  assessment, it doesn't matter, it's their money, it's their decision. You should be able to live with that without further explanation. No?

I hope this helps

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Once upon a time, I did.  I did so because I was getting a better drink when I did so.  Now, no, I don't.  If I patronize a particular bar frequently and am served by the same Steward/Bartender who recognizes me, is friendly, and is willing (when their time permits) to engage in some conversation, at the end of the cruise, I will give them an extra gratuity.

Most recently on the Nieuw Statendam when I gave my favorite bartender at Billboard Onboard an envelope with a tip, he did not put it into his pocket, but put it elsewhere in the area.  Now, my thinking is that such gratuities are not kept by the individual to whom it is given, but is shared with others working that lounge.  True or not:  will I still offer an additional gratuity to crew whom I think deserve it?  Yes, I will.

I have to admit that all the years we have sailed HAL and many times we did sit at the bar, never did we see the bar tender put the extra tip we gave him/her in a different area -- they tucked it away in a pocket or in their skirt.

On our last 3 cruises, we mainly stayed in the Ocean Bar but nearly every other night we had a different server and our drinks never improved.  Thus we didn't give anyone extra trips at the end of the cruise.   Half way through the 21 day cruise we asked why the servers kept changing and one responded "others are complaining that they aren't getting any extra tips each night".  YO -- wonder what cruise line they worked on before.  We had too many new crew staff on that cruise.

We normally sit at the bar.  Usually the same bar with the same bartender.  Yes, we give an extra dollar or two for a set of drinks for two.  Why?  We enjoy tipping and we feel we do get better/quicker service.   On several cruises after a night or two the bartender would start preparing out drinks as soon as we entered and before we made it to the bar.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Why?  We enjoy tipping and we feel we do get better/quicker service.   On several cruises after a night or two the bartender would start preparing out drinks as soon as we entered and before we made it to the bar.

Often, that was my experience as well.  Then, for some reason, such an experience stopped.

To be fair in my comment, however, on my Zaandam cruise in December, 2017/January, 2018 cruise, the Ocean Bar bartenders were HAL veterans of many years.  I did experience such service as you describe.  And, they were rewarded properly before I left the ship in Buenos Aires.

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I have to admit that all the years we have sailed HAL and many times we did sit at the bar, never did we see the bar tender put the extra tip we gave him/her in a different area -- they tucked it away in a pocket or in their skirt.

KK,  I was surprised as well.  I was disappointed at what I saw because I gave the gentleman the gratuity because of his service.  The other bartenders were not as "attentive" and too many of the Stewards and Stewardesses were more occupied with trying to operate their IPads in placing their orders than in interacting with their guests.

We normally sit at the bar.  Usually the same bar with the same bartender.  Yes, we give an extra dollar or two for a set of drinks for two.  Why?  We enjoy tipping and we feel we do get better/quicker service.   On several cruises after a night or two the bartender would start preparing out drinks as soon as we entered and before we made it to the bar.

Have had same experience on many cruises, my slight problem is I switch drinks often and sometimes would want another drink. But never refuse drink ,service and strength of drink sometimes improves with tip.

On several cruises after a night or two the bartender would start preparing out drinks as soon as we entered and before we made it to the bar.

I've been on a cruise where a bartender recognized me (after 2 years and thousands of passengers), even hugged me, knew me by name so he didn't need my card and made my favorite drink without asking. You cannot not tip if you experience it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi Tutu

So in all the years that you have been a cruise critic member, you don't remember seeing any discussions on this subject before? Seriously...."you are not trying to start another argument about tipping". So you admit seeing these discussions before...what more do you think will be said now? 

Some people feel that if they tip extra/more they get better service, whether it's bar service, cabin service, the waiters, the porters. They know it's not necessary. Whether they are right or wrong in their  assessment, it doesn't matter, it's their money, it's their decision. You should be able to live with that without further explanation. No?

I hope this helps

Wow.... touchy are we?..  I never said I'd never seen the previous discussions.  I am just curious as to whether or not someone tips over the gratuity already there?  I also never said anyone was right or wrong,  just curious if they feel bad if they don't leave extra.  I don't, but I know many who do.......

And as you chose to point out, it has been discussed ad nauseum, and will probably be discussed again.... If you don't feel like answering the query you are free to keep scrolling.   Thats what I do, when the topic seems frivolous or doesn't apply to me, or I don't feel like putting my 2cents in. 

have a great evening, keep warm

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

This is my experience too on cruises.  If you tip directly early in the cruise it often acts an incentive for a bartender to provide better service for the remainder of the voyage.  It works more often than it doesn't.  

3 hours ago, George C said:

Have had same experience on many cruises, my slight problem is I switch drinks often and sometimes would want another drink. But never refuse drink ,service and strength of drink sometimes improves with tip.

How do you know?  What you need to do is pick 2 bars on a ship.  Overtip at one bar and don't tip at the other bar.  See if there is any difference.  I will bet that you have never done that have you.

DON

10 hours ago, tutuwahineLV said:

While this is in no way intended to start another argument about tipping, I am curious about something....

Do you feel bad if you don't add anything else?    

The 15-18% is perfectly adaquate  to me...and I'm not sure why most think we should still be adding more.  Please help me understand .....

No and no, but generally at some point of the cruise, generally the last night, I will provide a tip to some staff that have served me well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, K32682 said:

This is my experience too on cruises.  If you tip directly early in the cruise it often acts an incentive for a bartender to provide better service for the remainder of the voyage.  It works more often than it doesn't.  

Tip early, tip often, tip well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, donaldsc said:

A 15% tip for them to pour a well drink is about 15% too much.  Why would anyone tip more than that.

DON

To create a personal contact with the server, to create an incentive to provide better service,  to have my drink waiting at the bar while everyone else jockeys to get the bartender's attention, to increase my enjoyment of the cruise for a relatively small amount. 

• Like 2