Return to Celebrity

keithm

First off, we're not really interested in the Edge class ships. They charge way too much for what they offer. In 2017 after a real decline in food quality, we left Celebrity & switched for 2 cruises on Oceania. Being in the food industry, top quality food is real paramount to us. Here Oceania certainly did not disappoint. We do a 14 day trip each winter & next winter the choices on Riviera did not meet our needs. So we've booked on Silhouette for next Jan. 25 for 14 days. I'm really surprised at the steep price. This is higher than what we paid on Oceania. I just hope the food quality warrants the high price. I tend to think that the prices are inflated by online TA's who book way too many cabins. We booked an inside for $1799 & it's now close to $2300. We will be wiling to upgrade, but not for the $4000+ that they are asking. This cruise will likely determine whether we continue to travel on Celebrity or whether we go back to Oceania or perhaps the Yacht Club on the MSC Seaside.

3 hours ago, MizDemeanor said:

My readings suggest that MSC/Seasdie is not the food lovers ideal. 

We have matching MSC status, but I can't get over the food photos and reviews.  Maybe if they introduce an affordable dining package.  We're planning to book Allure of the Seas next month onboard Eclipse, and that's the only way I'll return to RCCL.

We're also going to put a deposit down on Azarama.  Hopefully we'll get to try Oceania and Windstar before too long.  I would never pay Luxury-Light prices for X.

18 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

We have matching MSC status, but I can't get over the food photos and reviews.  Maybe if they introduce an affordable dining package.  We're planning to book Allure of the Seas next month onboard Eclipse, and that's the only way I'll return to RCCL.

We're also going to put a deposit down on Azarama.  Hopefully we'll get to try Oceania and Windstar before too long.  I would never pay Luxury-Light prices for X.

We booked and cancelled MSC. We booked and cancelled Edge. We like NCL Haven but can't go to the same places over and over on their ships with them. Our friends recently came back from Oceania and enjoyed it but the ship from their photos are not to our liking in decor. Windstar is an entirely different expereince and not a cruise ship IMHO but one that is something we'd like to try if it makes sense at the time. 

We are sailing soon on a ship we enjoyed to Bermuda a while back that was comfortable to us and is newly updated, but who knows what that means. We are going back to destinations that we enjoy and we will survive somehow with no work, with the food and grog that we have to tolerate for the 7 nights, and our desire to just to get there. 

Edited by MizDemeanor

We tried Aamara, the specialty restaurants were good but the MDR was not great.  Noisy, crowded and food was mediocre.  iMHO not worth the price.  Unfortunately that experience (not just the dining) left us thinking the small ships aren’t for us.

That cruise isn’t a good basis for overall cost comparison. It’s the first cruise post-revolution dry dock and the only 14 day itinerary of the year. Under more typical circumstances the price would be more reasonable but you’ve booked what’s probably the most high demand cruise of the season. 

2 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

That cruise isn’t a good basis for overall cost comparison. It’s the first cruise post-revolution dry dock and the only 14 day itinerary of the year. Under more typical circumstances the price would be more reasonable but you’ve booked what’s probably the most high demand cruise of the season. 

Agree....

Also the risk of the ship being late out of dry dock, niggles on board needing ironing out...

Equinox is the first S ship to be Revolutionised in the Summer. If you follow reviews on her it should give you some ideas as to changes in the MDR.

We do occasionally dine in the MDR. The food is up to the standard we expect and occasionally exceeds the standard we expect in what is a mass catering environment. I am not criticising the MDR I am just saying that expectations should be realistic. 

We book higher suites on Celebrity and dine mainly in the Speciality restaurants and Luminae. We are not gourmet diners by any means but find the speciality restaurants are generally of a very good standard. We want the ‘big ship’ experience we do not want to cruise on a little ship even if it is supposed to be more exclusive. Hence, the Celebrity suite experience suits us.

I am not trying to put you off cruising on Silhouette but from your post I am visualising you sitting at a table in the MDR each night saying the food is not up to the standard you want/expect. Strongly suggest if you do go ahead you look at budgeting for a speciality dining package.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MizDemeanor said:

My readings suggest that MSC/Seasdie is not the food lovers ideal. 

we are very food oriented - to the point that our travel locations are usually selected in large part to the cuisine.  We sailed on MAC Cabins and thought the food was very good.  REAL risotto in the MDR.  Good quality salamis, prosciutto, cappacolla, etc On the buffet (a nice change from bland turkey breast and standard deli ham).  The best and most varied cheeses we've ever had On a ship.

but we don't book suites, or Havens, or Yacht Clubs.  Not our style or preferred way of spending money.

Edited by jkgourmet

14 hours ago, keithm said:

First off, we're not really interested in the Edge class ships. They charge way too much for what they offer. In 2017 after a real decline in food quality, we left Celebrity & switched for 2 cruises on Oceania. Being in the food industry, top quality food is real paramount to us. Here Oceania certainly did not disappoint. We do a 14 day trip each winter & next winter the choices on Riviera did not meet our needs. So we've booked on Silhouette for next Jan. 25 for 14 days. I'm really surprised at the steep price. This is higher than what we paid on Oceania. I just hope the food quality warrants the high price. I tend to think that the prices are inflated by online TA's who book way too many cabins. We booked an inside for $1799 & it's now close to $2300. We will be wiling to upgrade, but not for the $4000+ that they are asking. This cruise will likely determine whether we continue to travel on Celebrity or whether we go back to Oceania or perhaps the Yacht Club on the MSC Seaside.

MSC Seaside.....we sailed on her in November of 2018..... couldn't pass up the price. We were loyal to Celebrity so we were nervous.....

The ship is gorgeous and we had a huge aft balcony BUT.......NEVER AGAIN !   The food was horrible to terrible at best......service level is non-existent, and there's SMOKING EVERYWHERE.....can't escape it!    It's filthy also.......plates, cups toppled everywhere, straws and pineapple wedges all over pool deck....so gross...

Entertainment was ok.....same nightly.  20 minute wait at pool bar for drinks.....no pool servers.....and 90% of the passengers and employees don't speak English....huge language barriers everywhere!!  

It's such a shame because the ship is stunning!!!  Needless to say... we're booked on Celebrity Equinox in September 😎🍸

I think you would have to eat in the Celebrity specialty restaurants every night to match Oceania   We are in Blu on Reflection and thought the food was pretty good. Oceania food was a giant notch above that, especially when you factor in Jacques and the Italian restaurant 

obviously the the experience on the ships is different. Oceania is smaller, somewhat dated decor and virtually no entertainment at night. Dinner is the entertainment on Oceania. Celebrity has a big ship experience with tons of pax. 

We we sailed on Crystal River and the food was phenomenal, so much so that I would sail on their ocean ships 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tfred said:

I think you would have to eat in the Celebrity specialty restaurants every night to match Oceania   We are in Blu on Reflection and thought the food was pretty good. Oceania food was a giant notch above that, especially when you factor in Jacques and the Italian restaurant 

obviously the the experience on the ships is different. Oceania is smaller, somewhat dated decor and virtually no entertainment at night. Dinner is the entertainment on Oceania. Celebrity has a big ship experience with tons of pax. 

We we sailed on Crystal River and the food was phenomenal, so much so that I would sail on their ocean ships 

Good to know!

20 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Why are you going back to Celebrity especially is you have the ability to spring for Oceanarium.  I suggest to sample Seabourn or Silver Seas.   I’d also suggest Cunard’s Grill Class but you would need to dress for dinner.   

We love Oceania, but the late Feb. cruise on Riviera just doesn't work for us this time. McDonalds Corp. chartered the Riviera for nearly all of Jan. This really messed things up.

Seabourn's quality has really tanked since HAL took over managing the line. NEVER let a "standard" line manage another line. It's why Cunard had some real issues some years back when Princess managed their home office. Silver sea is a bit above our price range. Without a doubt Cunard's Grill class was the best we ever did back in 2009 & 2010. No problem dressing up. If anything, the downward spiral to trash dressing annoys the crap out of us. This is what we liked about Cunard. The Grills have really gotten expensive in the past few years. The reason we went with the Silhouette next Jan. is the fact it nearly matches the itinerary of the Riviera's cruise next Feb. As to comments about MSC Seaside, we had looked at doing an inside in the Yacht Club. It's an inside, but reasonably priced & you get ALL the perks the rest of Yacht Club gets. I'd like to hear about those who've sailed in Yacht club & whether they liked it. The Seaside is very new, so not too many responses there.

8 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Some of you aren't considering the new art that had to be purchased, such as this lovely new piece on the Millennium.  You want to see it in person?  There's a fee.  

Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 3.42.09 AM.png

Personally, that looks like a portrait from the average pax who's spent WAY too much time in the  buffet!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pier290 said:

MSC Seaside.....we sailed on her in November of 2018..... couldn't pass up the price. We were loyal to Celebrity so we were nervous.....

The ship is gorgeous and we had a huge aft balcony BUT.......NEVER AGAIN !   The food was horrible to terrible at best......service level is non-existent, and there's SMOKING EVERYWHERE.....can't escape it!    It's filthy also.......plates, cups toppled everywhere, straws and pineapple wedges all over pool deck....so gross...

Entertainment was ok.....same nightly.  20 minute wait at pool bar for drinks.....no pool servers.....and 90% of the passengers and employees don't speak English....huge language barriers everywhere!!  

It's such a shame because the ship is stunning!!!  Needless to say... we're booked on Celebrity Equinox in September 😎🍸

I've no problem at all with other pax not speaking English. I imagine Italian is likely the language of choice. I certainly would hope the Yacht Club is of a higher level than what you saw.

12 hours ago, chemmo said:

Agree....

Also the risk of the ship being late out of dry dock, niggles on board needing ironing out...

Equinox is the first S ship to be Revolutionised in the Summer. If you follow reviews on her it should give you some ideas as to changes in the MDR.

We do occasionally dine in the MDR. The food is up to the standard we expect and occasionally exceeds the standard we expect in what is a mass catering environment. I am not criticising the MDR I am just saying that expectations should be realistic. 

We book higher suites on Celebrity and dine mainly in the Speciality restaurants and Luminae. We are not gourmet diners by any means but find the speciality restaurants are generally of a very good standard. We want the ‘big ship’ experience we do not want to cruise on a little ship even if it is supposed to be more exclusive. Hence, the Celebrity suite experience suits us.

I am not trying to put you off cruising on Silhouette but from your post I am visualising you sitting at a table in the MDR each night saying the food is not up to the standard you want/expect. Strongly suggest if you do go ahead you look at budgeting for a speciality dining package.

I certainly don't expect the food to be at Oceania's level, not when a B-1 is $4700. I do expect the food on Celebrity to be decent. Like it was before 2017. We have a large food service bus. so I don't expect gourmet food to be in the MD. I do expect it to be decent for the price paid. We do like Celebrity's itineraries, which was a reason for doing 3 cruises on them. We certainly do expect to buy a dining package, but if the food is worse than in 2017 that will do it for us on celebrity. 

22 hours ago, keithm said:

So we've booked on Silhouette for next Jan. 25 for 14 days. I'm really surprised at the steep price. This is higher than what we paid on Oceania. I just hope the food quality warrants the high price.

We might be on the same cruise except our Silhouette sails Jan 31, 2020 but still for 14 nights,  about the same price but $300 OBC.

9 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Some of you aren't considering the new art that had to be purchased, such as this lovely new piece on the Millennium.  You want to see it in person?  There's a fee.  

Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 3.42.09 AM.png

Someone will like it but it is really ugly and  deformed looking...disturbing!

Hope they have better options on Summit

5 minutes ago, Arno. said:

We might be on the same cruise except our Silhouette sails Jan 31, 2020 but still for 14 nights,  about the same price but $300 OBC.

5 minutes ago, Arno. said:

Sorry, my screw-up! That IS the date of our cruise. We booked an inside for about $1850. It's now nearly $2400. A balcony for $4800?? That's $600 more than we paid on the Riviera & the food totally blows away what you get on Celebrity. I can only think that the on-line TA's are the cause of this high price. I will continue to watch the prices as we get further into the year. Should they drop to a more reasonable level(like $2500PP)then we'll be interested in an upgrade. If not, we'll use a lot of the savings on dining packages.

33 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The 1/31 14 night and the 9 night on 2/9 are now removed from the Celebrity website and several TA sites...hopefully they return! 

Still saw it on one of the larger on line TA sites. Would this be because of the overhaul of some of the S class ships? I put down nearly $1000 as a down payment. Obviously if it cancels, I'll have to book elsewhere. I do expect to get the deposit refunded with NO issues.

4 minutes ago, keithm said:

Still saw it on one of the larger on line TA sites. Would this be because of the overhaul of some of the S class ships? I put down nearly $1000 as a down payment. Obviously if it cancels, I'll have to book elsewhere. I do expect to get the deposit refunded with NO issues.

The 1/31 cruise was scheduled to be the first sailing after the 5 week dry dock. It appears they may be shifting some cruises around since the 1/31, 2/14 and 2/23 all have some oddities or are completely missing right now. You will obviously get your refund back if there is no cruise. No worries there.

1 minute ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The 1/31 cruise was scheduled to be the first sailing after the 5 week dry dock. It appears they may be shifting some cruises around since the 1/31, 2/14 and 2/23 all have some oddities or are completely missing right now. You will obviously get your refund back if there is no cruise. No worries there.

Last time I saw this, X was scheduling a charter, and 4 cruises got shifted or cancelled.  They also could be changing the dry dock schedule.