Hair Curlers and Stylers

Ivanhoe21

If you search the River Cruising forum (not the River Cruise Ports forum where you’ve asked the question) for threads about hair curlers on Viking you’ll get lots of results. Whether they’ll do anything to resolve your ‘problem’ is another matter...

Edited by kentchris

3 hours ago, Ivanhoe21 said:

I will be on the  Viking Sigrun for the Rhile Cruise.  I see that they do not allow  curling  irons or stylers on board.  Has anyone else encountered this problem.

Yes, they were not allowed on our Danube cruise.

9 hours ago, Ivanhoe21 said:

I will be on the  Viking Sigrun for the Rhile Cruise.  I see that they do not allow  curling  irons or stylers on board.  Has anyone else encountered this problem.

It is a fleet wide prohibition. They are a fire hazard and an electrical hazard.  For those who haven't found this info, the issue is covered in the Viking River FAQ, see the link at the bottom of any webpage in Viking Rivers. Viking also does not permit travel irons,  streamers and prefers that you the hair dryers that they provide. Extension cords, especially with surge protectors, are also a problem. This is all in the name of fire safety.

There are a couple of river cruise lines that do permit such devices but Viking is not one of them.

From the FAQ:

What is the electrical voltage in the stateroom? What kind of converters will I need for my computer/cell phone/camera battery charger?

If you are traveling on a Viking Longship, you will find both 110V and 220V electrical outlets in your stateroom. The 220V outlets are German Schuko 2-pin safety plugs. There are also several US 110V sockets. Should you need an adapter for these outlets, they can be found at most electronic or travel stores, or are available for sale in the onboard shop. (Remember that if you’re staying in a hotel for part of your journey, you’ll want the appropriate adapter for that country as well.) In your stateroom, you will also find a USB socket to charge cell phones and tablets; just bring the appropriate cable with you. Modern electronic devices can accommodate different electrical currents, so you probably won’t need a current converter. Please note that heat-producing appliances, such as irons, steamers, curling irons and heaters, are potential safety hazards and therefore not permitted on board. Hair dryers are provided on board and in our hotels so you likely do not need to bring one with you. See the chart for more details and pictures of the plugs.

We will be doing land tours before and after our cruise.  Wife's curling iron will be with us, but won't leave the suitcase while on the ship, per the regulations.  That had better be good enough--why should she use her curling iron pre-cruise then throw it away, only to buy another one post-cruise?  Makes no sense at all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

We will be doing land tours before and after our cruise.  Wife's curling iron will be with us, but won't leave the suitcase while on the ship, per the regulations.  That had better be good enough--why should she use her curling iron pre-cruise then throw it away, only to buy another one post-cruise?  Makes no sense at all.

Unlike ocean cruises, our luggage has never been scanned on our river cruises. As long as the curling iron remains safely stowed in the suitcase for the duration of your cruise, you should be just fine.

I understand they could be a fire hazard if you leave them on and walk way.  However on Viking isn’t the electricity shut off each time you take key card out to leave the room?  Or is this just the lights that shut off?  

If the key card does control all the outlets in the room there would be no fire hazard of an appliance being left on.  It’s not going to start a fire while you’re using it....

Just wondering....

25 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I understand they could be a fire hazard if you leave them on and walk way.  However on Viking isn’t the electricity shut off each time you take key card out to leave the room?  Or is this just the lights that shut off?  

If the key card does control all the outlets in the room there would be no fire hazard of an appliance being left on.  It’s not going to start a fire while you’re using it....

Just wondering....

it actually could smoke and start a fire while using it.  Not everyone's iron is brand new and 'safe".  many are old with the cords wrapped around it 1,000 times, causing the cord to be damaged

Another thing with electricity is that you can have your device plugged and operating but the damage being done can be anywhere in the system, which is to say, anywhere on the ship --and you won't know that there is a problem.

Since Viking cannot test each of the products we bring on board to use, Viking takes a better safe than sorry approach and simply bans all heat producing products. Hair dryers are available on the ship and Viking does prefer that you use theirs rather than bring your own.

Don’t know if Viking have in cabin safes if so put them in there or phone Viking and ask if they want them handed in to be looked after by the staff until the end of the cruise. If that’s the only thing you need to be concerned about before your cruise you’ll have a fantastic time. CA

I plan on bringing a dual voltage hair dryer.... does any one know the type they have on board?  Watts, ionic, ceramic etc.?  I assume it’s a slow drying, hair burning one.

i think a hair dryer might be more of a risk of blowing a fuse for instance then a curling iron....some are pretty powerful.  I’ll bring one but if theirs is adequate I’ll use theirs.  

I have long hair.....if I had short hair it wouldn’t be an issue. 

Edited by cruiselvr04

I don't know, but I wonder if the issue may be the high current draw of curling irons, etc. I think that the 110 V outlets may have limited amperage. Also, I seem to remember that DW complained that even when she used the 220V Viking supplied hair dryer, it didn't work well (didn't get hot enough), when used with the bathroom outlets. It only delivered full power when plugged into the outlets in the stateroom. She said that this has been true on the other lines we've sailed as well (Avalon and Vantage)

3 hours ago, FuelScience said:

I don't know, but I wonder if the issue may be the high current draw of curling irons, etc. I think that the 110 V outlets may have limited amperage. Also, I seem to remember that DW complained that even when she used the 220V Viking supplied hair dryer, it didn't work well (didn't get hot enough), when used with the bathroom outlets. It only delivered full power when plugged into the outlets in the stateroom. She said that this has been true on the other lines we've sailed as well (Avalon and Vantage)

The bathroom outlets are designed for shavers only. They are not designed to be used with a hair dryer.

There is also a grounding issue.  Three-prong appliances expect the big round prong to connect to 'earth ground.'  Ships, being on the water – wait for it – can't have an 'earth ground.'

25 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

There is also a grounding issue.  Three-prong appliances expect the big round prong to connect to 'earth ground.'  Ships, being on the water – wait for it – can't have an 'earth ground.'

Jazzbeau, what if you're sailing on "groundwater?"  😋 Please forgive me. I couldn't resist!!

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Karie12 said:

A 110V curling iron doesn't have three prongs.

I'm sorry to learn this. I'm considering a river cruise for 2020, but this could be a deal breaker. I don't want to look like a scarecrow. 😞

There are a couple of cruise lines that do allow these devices. There are other threads on this topic and some of these have named which lines to allow them. Viking is one line that does not allow them.

54 minutes ago, FuelScience said:

Jazzbeau, what if you're sailing on "groundwater?"  😋 Please forgive me. I couldn't resist!!

Sorry, FuelScience. I gave you HaHa but I really wanted to give you a groan; they have a reaction funny but not for punny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karie12 said:

I'm sorry to learn this. I'm considering a river cruise for 2020, but this could be a deal breaker. I don't want to look like a scarecrow. 😞

I have been on both Uniworld and Avalon. They both permit curling irons/flat irons on board.

Robin

Avalon allows them as long as they meet requirements. For our first Avalon cruise, I bought a dual voltage hair straightener (found on AZ) and a 2 prong plug and it worked fine.  I have since used the straightener along with the plug in hotels in Europe and I plan to use it on our upcoming Avalon cruise in June.  I did a search of the documents I have received from Avalon as well as the FAQ on their website and found the following information on curling irons, etc.

Electricity: Onboard electricity is 220v. Wall sockets take a European 2-prong plug. To use any small personal appliance such as an electric razor, curling iron, or electric plug-in type alarm clock, you will need an adapter to plug in to the wall sockets for dual voltage appliances and a converter as well as an adapter for appliances that are not dual voltage. Converters must be EU certified. Cheap, non-certified converters may damage your appliance and are a fire hazard on the ship. Bathroom sockets are solely for razors (and/or battery chargers for digital cameras, mobile phones); the use of hairdryers, curling irons, etc., is only permitted in the stateroom bedroom. For specific details on voltage requirements on land for each of the countries you are visiting, please refer to the “Know Before You Go” section.

18 hours ago, FuelScience said:

Jazzbeau is not available to reply to your post. He has 'gone to ground.' --Ed.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone. I'm new to the boards and haven't learned how to search within them effectively. I am also considering Gate 1 so will check with them.

To tell you the truth, neither have I. But, answers are coming to you and so maybe you don't have to worry about searching. 

Edited by Peregrina651