AZ Upgrade Program - NEW - effective 3/12/19!!

BBMacLaird

We have launched a new upgrade program called Azamara Upgrade. This program gives Guests the chance to elevate their stay by bidding in just a few simple clicks. Unlike the previous program, Azamara Upgrade is a new system to make your upgrading experience so much easier. You’re in control – no need to wait on a call from Azamara!

• More stateroom upgrade options – In addition to being able to bid on multiple staterooms, you will have a wider selection of stateroom categories from which to choose.
  • Le Club Voyage member priority - LCV members will be given a boost to your bid to increase your chances of upgrading. Your bid increases in weight as you go from Adventurer to Explorer to Discoverer to Discoverer Plus to Discoverer Platinum. Assuming all else is equal among bids, the LCV member with the highest tier will receive the upgrade.
  • Upgrade sooner – Your offer could be accepted as soon as 60 days prior, up until 72 hours prior to departure.

Note: This new Azamara Upgrade replaces the LCV Upgrade program. If you previously submitted an upgrade request and your booked voyage departs before June 30th, you will be placed on an additional priority status. But please make sure to place a bid with Azamara Upgrade before April 1st in order to be considered as we will need your credit card information to process your upgrade should you be chosen.

For eligibility and more information about this new exciting program, click here: https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/azamara-upgrade-program

Here is another example of Azamara disfavouring loyalty for profit. For example if a Guest of no or lesser loyalty level bids a higher amount they will receive preference for the offered upgrades.

Are LCV members going to be advised via email of this change or is it another email we’ve missed out on?

• Like 2

I just tied to access the new upgrade web page.  I entered my reservation ID, last name of the primary person on the booking, and clicked Submit.  The same page re-displayed with no message or confirmation whatsoever.  I have no idea if this request/submission was received by Azamara.   (By the way, I also tried to enter the last name of the secondary person the booking and got the same result.)

Bonnie- is this the way the new page/site should work?  I wouldn't think so? Shouldn't there be some message or confirmation displayed?

Interesting idea, but I will have to see how it works in practice.

When I enter our upcoming cruise, I just end up back at the original page with the boxes for entering surname and cruise number empty.

It would be useful if there was a message that indicated that no upgrades are available and thus eliminate the distinct possibility that I have made a mistake in filling out the form.

Ahh, I see that stines was posting at the same time. 

I believe we agree that there should be some kind of reply or confirmation,

Edited by nordski

41 minutes ago, stines said:

I just tied to access the new upgrade web page.  I entered my reservation ID, last name of the primary person on the booking, and clicked Submit.  The same page re-displayed with no message or confirmation whatsoever.  I have no idea if this request/submission was received by Azamara.   (By the way, I also tried to enter the last name of the secondary person the booking and got the same result.)

Bonnie- is this the way the new page/site should work?  I wouldn't think so? Shouldn't there be some message or confirmation displayed?

The same thing happened to me when I entered my name and reservation number.

1 hour ago, aussie travel bird said:

Here is another example of Azamara disfavouring loyalty for profit. For example if a Guest of no or lesser loyalty level bids a higher amount they will receive preference for the offered upgrades.

Are LCV members going to be advised via email of this change or is it another email we’ve missed out on?

I think you win a prize! I need to have a look at it more closely, but this seems a retrograde to me along the lines of what you say and it's more aligned with what Celebrity does. Like their loyalty program, any chance of free unlimited internet and laundry I wonder?🤔

Phil 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I think you win a prize! I need to have a look at it more closely, but this seems a retrograde to me along the lines of what you say and it's more aligned with what Celebrity does. Like their loyalty program, any chance of free unlimited internet and laundry I wonder?🤔

Phil 

And RCI’s “Royal UP” programme.  I guess the upgrade fairy has been sacked.  Why give free upgrades based on loyalty when someone will pay a couple of hundred bucks instead?

1 hour ago, stines said:

I just did exactly the same - very frustrating. I will email LCV  to tell them this happens and to ask if my upcoming cruise is eligible.

I am also very unclear as to how this will work - is there a set price for each type of cabin transfer and you ‘bid’ to ‘win’ a certain type of cabin at that set price (E.g $200 pp from an inside to an Oceanview or $400pp front inside to verandah) or do you bid the amount of money that the upgrade is worth to you (for example I might decide I was willing to pay $1000 pp to upgrade from an inside to an ocean view).

If it’s the latter, then clearly the highest bidder would win and loyalty would not be worth anything.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising
  • Thanks 1

I read the Terms and Conditions section of the offer.  It looks like the upgrade amount you submit is per person. Singles are charged twice the amount.  The old upgrade offer was $398 per cabin. I wonder how this will be received by those looking to upgrade.

I’m sorry to see that Azamara is making this change to their upgrade program.  The deal the way it was $398 per room upgrade possibly was just too good to last.  I hope the powers that be will reconsider charging solo cruisers double...but since it’s defined in the FAQ I’m certain this is how it will remain.  That’s a shame, one of the last things that made Azamara a little different.  

• Like 1

Looks like I let the cat out of the bag a day early. The emails to LCV members should be in your inbox by tomorrow.

And the upgrade system will officially start accepting bids tomorrow as well I'm told. There will be a confirmation notice letting you know your bid has either been accepted or is *not eligible*.

*You must be within 90-days of departure date, and your booking paid in full, to be eligible to bid. 

• Thanks 1

Another distinctly unimpressed vote here.  Do I read that I have to accept any stateroom in the category I am bidding?  Sorry but in relation to suites, I can only have  one with a shower and could not stay in one with a tub so if I read correctly this has removed the upgrade benefit to me.  Bonnie I am reading this correctly?

Notwithstanding this, I do not like this bidding war, this is a revenue grab, the current system was fair, fixed price and transparent.  I do not see recognition of loyalty in the future - that only comes into play if I bid the same sum as the less loyal player chances of which are slim.

I look forward to hearing how this shapes out for others in practice. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tiggertom said:

I’ve just tried it and the webpage isn’t working. I’m sailing next Wednesday and have already applied for the LCV upgrade, so I don’t know if I am eligible.

I'm not sure which cabin you have at the moment, but I wouldn’t worry too much.  Most of the cabins have gone.  Sold off to consolidators for last minute deals, but that’s a whole new subject!

Phil

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

Looks like I let the cat out of the bag a day early. The emails to LCV members should be in your inbox by tomorrow.

And the upgrade system will officially start accepting bids tomorrow as well I'm told. There will be a confirmation notice letting you know your bid has either been accepted or is *not eligible*.

*You must be within 90-days of departure date, and your booking paid in full, to be eligible to bid. 

Bonnie, I guess my question on this loyalty benefit is this.  Guest A who has cruised on Azamara twice bids $500 for an upgrade from a balcony to a suite. Guest B who has cruised 15 times bids $450 for that same upgrade.  Who trumps who?

Phil

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tiggertom said:

We have never been lucky with the LCV upgrade, and I don’t suppose this new system will increase our chances as I assume the bid system will benefit those willing to pay more than $395. I won’t be playing. 

I’ve taken advantage of it a number of times.  It was a nice perk as a reward for loyalty.  Them were the good old days!

Phil

• Like 2

I have now read the Terms and Conditions and this is no enhancement for me.

1.  I cannot ensure I will receive an upgraded room that I can use (e.g. specify it has a shower)

2.  I now have to pay double the sum I paid previously

3.  Loyalty is no longer the primary determinant of access to any upgrades its cash

4.  It seems that payments are in US$ - given the security levels set on my credit card a foreign currency debit that I have not pre authorised may not be processed in any event.

5.  In any event its a blind bidding war - not how I like to do business with companies, a lottery...

As we cruised more frequently, giving good money regularly, we did enjoy some LCV upgrades.  They were nice benefits and as we progressed up a tier, we thought ok our loyalty will be recognised more.  OH well, called that one wrong.

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I’ve taken advantage of it a number of times.  It was a nice perk as a reward for loyalty.  Them were the good old days!

Phil

The good old days....Indeed they were Phil.

I see this new upgrade "deal" as yet another money grab. I don't think loyalty comes into Azamara's thinking any more. 

Which is is why my 2020 cruise and holiday (vacation) plans have changed. I was going to book three cruises on Azamara but now it will be just one. There are many other cruise and holiday options out there and Viking is first on my list! 

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I'm not sure which cabin you have at the moment, but I wouldn’t worry too much.  Most of the cabins have gone.  Sold off to consolidators for last minute deals, but that’s a whole new subject!

Phil

Yes, I have noticed that in the last few days all the inside cabins and most of the OVs have "disappeared" for this cruise. 

I am in shock about this "exciting" programme which seems to disregard loyalty in favour of revenue.

I fear that our next Azamara cruise may well be our last.

Edited by workingtocruise-59

43 minutes ago, CA Oceanfront said:

The travel agents received this email about an hour ago. Here are the FAQs:

AZAMARA_UPGRADE_Trade_FAQ_Flyer

Thanks for the link.  It adds a bit more meat to the bone, but it’s not sounding great as far as I’m concerned.  It will certainly save Azamara some leg work dealing with upgrades this way, but not good news for me.

Phil

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, workingtocruise-59 said:

Yes, I have noticed that in the last few days all the inside cabins and most of the OVs have "disappeared" for this cruise. 

I am in shock about this "exciting" programme which seems to disregard loyalty in favour of revenue.

I fear that our next Azamara cruise may well be our last.

There were cabins in all categories all the way up to Club Ocean Suite about a month ago and then they all disappeared.

Phil