AZ Upgrade Program - NEW - effective 3/12/19!!

BBMacLaird

4 hours ago, Redtravel said:

I feel completely left out. I have started to get emails about new cruises and excursions for my upcoming cruise.  However, I never got any notification from either Azamara or my TA about the new bidding upgrade procedure. If I didn’t read cruisecritic boards, I would never know that they had changed the upgrade procedure. Booked a July cruise almost a year in advance, submitted the $398 upgrade request form shortly after booking, have paid in full for my cruise, and have read on this thread that people on my cruise have received the upgrade offer. Just wondering how many other people haven’t been contacted.  I was also shocked when I read the posting from the person who was told that their TA opted out of the upgrade and would not be allowed the opportunity to bid. Perhaps, my TA is also a non participant. Although I doubt it since I did get an upgrade bidding offer on my last Celebrity cruise.  

It depends when your July cruise is. Ours is 1July and we got the email telling us we could make a bid on Saturday - 86 days before the cruise. I doubt that anyone will have been told they are successful for your cruise this far ahead. Have you looked at the Upgrade page on the website. You can check eligibility there (here’s the page on the UK website https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/azamara-upgrade-programme

However, if it tells you that you are not eligible and it’s either over, round about or just under 90 days before your cruise, that could just mean they haven’t loaded it. That’s what happened to me - I tried from 90 days & kept getting a not eligible message, then at 86 days I got the email.

Thanks for the link.  My cruise is a July 2.  I entered my info and got into the upgrade page.  However, the really important issue is that had I not been reading postings on cruisecritic, I would have been completely unaware of any changes to the previous $398 upgrade policy.  Perhaps ignorance is better? Just wondering how many people are completely left out of the loop.  After discussing the upgrade policy as discribed by Azamara, we chose to not bid.  It’s too risky. No chance to pick a location or say no to the proposed upgrade.  There are suites in poor locations. I would not want to be under the Buffet or far aft.  We booked  a V1 and we will stay there.  Each time we sail on Azamara, it seems like they are searching for new persona.  Still trying to determine who they want to be when they grow up. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 4:00 AM, Redtravel said:

Thanks for the link.  My cruise is a July 2.  I entered my info and got into the upgrade page.  However, the really important issue is that had I not been reading postings on cruisecritic, I would have been completely unaware of any changes to the previous $398 upgrade policy.  Perhaps ignorance is better? Just wondering how many people are completely left out of the loop.  After discussing the upgrade policy as discribed by Azamara, we chose to not bid.  It’s too risky. No chance to pick a location or say no to the proposed upgrade.  There are suites in poor locations. I would not want to be under the Buffet or far aft.  We booked  a V1 and we will stay there.  Each time we sail on Azamara, it seems like they are searching for new persona.  Still trying to determine who they want to be when they grow up. 

Just FYI, we had the furthest aft Club Continent suite starboard side and there really wasn't that much noise. One crewmember seemed to be wearing heels and we could hear her (him?) most mornings, and there were some chairs being dragged into position in the mornings, but that was about it. It wouldn't be my first choice of a suite, but for a couple of hundred dollars/Euros/pounds, I wouldn't complain, either.

On 4/10/2019 at 7:00 AM, Redtravel said:

I would not want to be under the Buffet or far aft.  We booked  a V1 and we will stay there.

We've done at least a dozen cruises in N2 CC suites under the buffet, portside with walk-in showers, and have never had a bothersome noise issue from the buffet

Having a walk-in shower is really important.  My spouse cannot get over the edge of the tub easily. With the new upgrade process, you cannot make requests or reject a cabin for any reason.  Not worth taking a chance of getting a tub.  Still have not received the upgrade email nor have I heard from my TA.  Wondering how many others have been ignored by Azamara. Is it just me? Or are there other uninformed guests waiting thinking that the $398 upgrade policy might get them an upgrade?  There are many people who do not read cruisecritic posts.  The rollcall for my cruise is very small.  

On 4/9/2019 at 6:56 PM, Redtravel said:

I feel completely left out. I have started to get emails about new cruises and excursions for my upcoming cruise.  However, I never got any notification from either Azamara or my TA about the new bidding upgrade procedure. If I didn’t read cruisecritic boards, I would never know that they had changed the upgrade procedure. Booked a July cruise almost a year in advance, submitted the $398 upgrade request form shortly after booking, have paid in full for my cruise, and have read on this thread that people on my cruise have received the upgrade offer. Just wondering how many other people haven’t been contacted.  I was also shocked when I read the posting from the person who was told that their TA opted out of the upgrade and would not be allowed the opportunity to bid. Perhaps, my TA is also a non participant. Although I doubt it since I did get an upgrade bidding offer on my last Celebrity cruise.  

Redtravel, you summed up exactly how I feel - left out and cheated.  We also booked many months ago and are Discoverer level.  This whole system changed since our final payment was made.   We are about a month from sailing and it would be  a downer to continue to fight for the opportunity to participate.  

The lack of notifications and transparency of Azamara’s upgrade system is frustrating and disappointing.  It is way too difficult to get the system to function and too time consuming to understand if you are truly ineligible and why.

We booked a veranda and we will enjoy our vacation in our veranda room.  

I bid the minimum $200pp but the amount that’s been taken from the bank and is on my invoice is £200pp so £400 in total. This is obviously more than I agreed to pay!

Since they upgraded me to a non accessible cabin in error they’ve said they will refund me so it’s not a problem but it may be a good idea for those bidding in the UK to check they have been charged corrrectly.

The UK upgrade emails are clearly stated in sterling as is the slider on the menu when you bid, maybe you overlooked the sign.  £200 each is a really good deal if they can find a room for you

I checked back and it was definitely $200 which was the minimum bid. It would have been less in £ as it was supposed to be the same as $398 total

My sliders were all in dollars for the OV and balcony. I posted what each bid amount was for both categories for weak fair and strong in $ and clearly remember having to do a conversion to £ myself, maybe they changed it?

I won’t get an upgrade now as my bid shows I’ve been upgraded already.

Edited by DebbieMacG

18 minutes ago, snowglobe said:

I’m very wary this upgrade system, especially for accessible cabins. 

What if you had not been able to reclaim your original cabin, in the time it took you to sort it all out?

I agree totally, I was assured they would not upgrade me unless it was to another accessible and they did, I was actually checking emails at the time and so within 10 minutes was able to ring and sort it out. What if I’d have not seen that email in time and my cabin had gone. I knew as soon as I saw the new cabin number it was wrong and my delight turned to horror.

Edited by DebbieMacG
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Just wondering if somehow you had got onto the US site. 

When I did my bid it was definitely in £s.

Possibly, I didn’t get an email and followed the link from Bonnie in her thread.

43 minutes ago, DebbieMacG said:

Possibly, I didn’t get an email and followed the link from Bonnie in her thread.

43 minutes ago, DebbieMacG said:

Very revaeling though that U.K. passengers are charged at $1 equals£1!

I don’t think they are. The minimum bids for Americans on our cruise was $200 but it was £150 for us. I suspect Debbie’s figure of 200 was then placed as £200 as she’s from UK guests. I suspect not using the email for her booking confused the system 

49 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Just picked this off the latest LCV Newsletter.  Enhanced, my foot! Lol

Phil

EFA08190-739C-482D-AC1B-D12C3090AA5A.jpeg

Also just seen this, only enhancement is more profit for Azamara.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1