AZ Upgrade Program - NEW - effective 3/12/19!!

BBMacLaird

Just found out about another potential problem if you book through a travel agent, even one that supports the new upgrade system. As I said in my post #350 above, I’m now well inside the 90 days for my 1July cruise so I tried the “am I eligible” boxes and got a “No” message.

I talked to my TA and found out that although I paid them in February, they have not yet paid Azamara. That is because they have an account with Azamara and pay what they owe on the 20th of every month. My cruise payment was due on 1April. That was after the March payment so will not be paid until 20 April, so I will not be eligible to bid until after that date. I guess this applies to many travel agents, so people may not be able to bid until potentially up to 63 days before their cruise. They have agreed to email Azamara to say that I have paid them, but I’m not hopeful that it will make any difference - I’ll post the result.

I am unclear as to whether the date of the bid is taken into account at all - for example if there are 2 bids the same. If it is, then it seems unfair to those like me who book through a travel agent with an account with Azamara.

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Phil, yes sailing solo (the only way I go:classic_smile:)..lets just say it was more than double that 398.00 figure.  (for 2) because of course we solo folks pay double.

Lois, I guess that is my answer. As a solo under the old system it was $398 for the cabin total.   I understand if you don't want to be specific. Up to you, but at this stage of the new system it's helpful to know exactly. I also know it's going to be more than it was. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden

44 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Just found out about another potential problem if you book through a travel agent, even one that supports the new upgrade system. As I said in my post #350 above, I’m now well inside the 90 days for my 1July cruise so I tried the “am I eligible” boxes and got a “No” message.

I talked to my TA and found out that although I paid them in February, they have not yet paid Azamara. That is because they have an account with Azamara and pay what they owe on the 20th of every month. My cruise payment was due on 1April. That was after the March payment so will not be paid until 20 April, so I will not be eligible to bid until after that date. I guess this applies to many travel agents, so people may not be able to bid until potentially up to 63 days before their cruise. They have agreed to email Azamara to say that I have paid them, but I’m not hopeful that it will make any difference - I’ll post the result.

I am unclear as to whether the date of the bid is taken into account at all - for example if there are 2 bids the same. If it is, then it seems unfair to those like me who book through a travel agent with an account with Azamara.

This will be a problem for many UK guests. It’s something agents are not transparent about. Major agents as for money 120+ days in advance but can pay as late as 56 days. It applies to all holidays and not just cruises and is a nice earner for them.

It’s a good reason not to use a UK agent, very few add any value anyway to savvy cruisers. This will encourage more to direct book 

2 minutes ago, uktog said:

This will be a problem for many UK guests. It’s something agents are not transparent about. Major agents as for money 120+ days in advance but can pay as late as 56 days. It applies to all holidays and not just cruises and is a nice earner for them.

It’s a good reason not to use a UK agent, very few add any value anyway to savvy cruisers. This will encourage more to direct book 

Hi Ann and Denise, I’m going to look into this. The UK market is so important to us!

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2019 at 4:44 PM, hiccups said:

find that to be a head scratcher.  More people have applied for an upgrade in the 3 weeks of the new program than applied in ALL of 2018?  Especially considering we can now only apply 90 days in advance instead of as soon as we book?

Of course, the old upgrade program was only open to LCV members, so there would now be a segment of passengers that were previously ineligible to apply,

Another factor could be that individual guests can now submit multiple upgrade bids...one for each higher category that interests them. 

• Like 1

Regarding a TA holding payment . . . That may be the reason for some, but I finalized my payment for the July 1 cruise in December.  I have the final payment confirmation statement from Azamara.  I also still receive the "not eligible" dialog.  Having submitted my original LCV Upgrade request in April of 2017 under the previous program, I don't think I'm going to participate in a bidding war.

Jerry

Hi HGC and Rabo,

1. Using your complimentary LCV nights doesn’t disqualify you / your booking from participating in the Upgrade program.

2. Turns out we haven’t yet opened July voyages for upgrades. I’m told this will happen in the next few days. That’s probably why you’re getting ineligible messages.

3. I’m still researching HGCs post about her TA withholding final payment and uktog’s comment about UK agents having different final payment dates. I’m highly skeptical either would impact your upgrade eligibility. The UK market is far too important to Azamara, plus I’m sure Mr Twynam would never stand for the UK market being at a disadvantage!

Edited by BBMacLaird
Left out reference to uktogs question..
  • Like 1

Thank you very much Bonnie for investigating this for us. It’s great to know that our cruise hasn’t yet opened for upgrades and that will be why we are getting the ‘not eligible’ message.  Maybe I was making wrong assumptions, but the wording on the Upgrade section on the website says ‘ Booking must be after final payment’, so I thought that might be the reason. It never occurred to me that it wouldn’t yet have opened for upgrades.

Further to my last post, my travel agent did email Azamara and has just got an answer - not good news. She was told that until my payment is received by Azamara I will NOT be eligible to bid for an upgrade! I’m not a very happy Bunny about this - it certainly didn’t apply under the old system and will put  many UK cruisers at a disadvantage IF the timing of the bid is taken into account, as it was with the old system.

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Further to my last post, my travel agent did email Azamara and has just got an answer - not good news. She was told that until my payment is received by Azamara I will NOT be eligible to bid for an upgrade! I’m not a very happy Bunny about this - it certainly didn’t apply under the old system and will put  many UK cruisers at a disadvantage IF the timing of the bid is taken into account, as it was with the old system.

Not all agencies hold onto the payments so maybe a question to ask an agent before booking and perhaps shop around for a different agent if the upgrade programme matters that much to you.  

However everything I read about the new system, timing has not been mentioned as a factor, however if they start to allocate the upgrades at 60 days (which was one of the advantages given for this change) then those who are booked through late payers might not be included in the first wave of allocations (assuming allocations are phased which again was something that was suggested would happen.)

Edited by uktog

Actually my TA is my daughter. I book myself, usually onboard, then allocate it to her so she gets the commission and I pay no more. That means I’m reluctant not to use her! 

As you say timing hadn’t been mentioned, so let’s hope it’s not taken into account, then it’s not a problem for me on this cruise, but could be for others if, as you say, their agent doesn’t pay until 56:days.

9 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Actually my TA is my daughter. I book myself, usually onboard, then allocate it to her so she gets the commission and I pay no more. That means I’m reluctant not to use her! 

As you say timing hadn’t been mentioned, so let’s hope it’s not taken into account, then it’s not a problem for me on this cruise, but could be for others if, as you say, their agent doesn’t pay until 56:days.

I’m still looking into this aspect. I may not hear definitively until Monday so don’t despair if it takes me a few days.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Lois, I guess that is my answer. As a solo under the old system it was $398 for the cabin total.   I understand if you don't want to be specific. Up to you, but at this stage of the new system it's helpful to know exactly. I also know it's going to be more than it was. 

Phil 

I bid 500.00... that ends up being a grand......I got a great price on the cruise originally so I was ok with that additional amount but I didn't know it "used to be" only 398.00 total......so I paid  A LOT extra.  Oh well.

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

I bid 500.00... that ends up being a grand......I got a great price on the cruise originally so I was ok with that additional amount but I didn't know it "used to be" only 398.00 total......so I paid  A LOT extra.  Oh well.

Lois, could you answer a couple of questions, so I can add your upgrade experience to the spreadsheet. Can you tell me what LCV/Captains Club level you are; was the $500 you bid the minimum or was the minimum $398; was your bid described as weak, strong etc.

Thanks - any information would be really helpful to other cruisers.

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

Does that mean that in the new system the bid is per person, not per stateroom as the old system was, therefore double for a solo cruiser. If so then the minimum is double the old system, whether you’re a solo or a couple.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

3 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Lois, could you answer a couple of questions, so I can add your upgrade experience to the spreadsheet. Can you tell me what LCV/Captains Club level you are; was the $500 you bid the minimum or was the minimum $398; was your bid described as weak, strong etc.

Thanks - any information would be really helpful to other cruisers.

I don't know my level with Azamara.  I am Elite + with Celebrity.

I don't know what other information you are looking for..…I put in 500 as my bid. It took X amount of weeks to get a reply.

I did not do much research so I don't know anything about this 398. people are talking about.   As I mentioned to Phil, I did not know it "used to be" 398.00 total for the whole cabin. I don't know what the minimum was supposed to be.

• Thanks 2

Yes Host Grandma, solo cruisers do have to pay double the fee to bid for an upgrade. So in the past they paid $398 and could choose the cabin location or decline the upgrade if there wasn't a location they liked. Now as a solo Lois has paid $1000 total to upgrade and has no choice re location and cannot decline it.

There are quite a few noisy CC suites on deck 8 underneath Windows cafe and I hope she doesn't get one of those! Also some CC suites only have baths and not showers. May be an issue for someone with mobility problems. 

Of course the same deal applies to double occupation of a cabin. No choice as to location and cannot decline the "upgrade". In effect passengers are paying this upgrade bid for a guarantee cabin. 

A good deal? I don't think so! 

By by the way Lois, Elite + on Celebrity will mean you are Discoverer + on Azamara. There are some nice benefits to this. Have a look on the Azamara website. 

Edited by Lottie A

23 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Does that mean that in the new system the bid is per person, not per stateroom as the old system was, therefore double for a solo cruiser. If so then the minimum is double the old system, whether you’re a solo or a couple.

Had you not spotted that?  That’s why loyal cruisers especially the solo travellers see very little if any benefit in this scheme- do the maths. How much would x nights in a Specialty plus a spa pass cost you. Unless you’re absolutely paranoid about the shower curtains the maths won’t add up for many - never mind the noise from above quite a few suites midships

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

Yes Host Grandma, solo cruisers do have to pay double the fee to bid for an upgrade. So in the past they paid $398 and could choose the cabin location or decline the upgrade if there wasn't a location they liked. Now as a solo Lois has paid $1000 total to upgrade and has no choice re location and cannot decline it.

There are quite a few noisy CC suites on deck 8 underneath Windows cafe and I hope she doesn't get one of those! Also some CC suites only have baths and not showers. May be an issue for someone with mobility problems. 

Of course the same deal applies to double occupation of a cabin. No choice as to location and cannot decline the "upgrade". In effect passengers are paying this upgrade bid for a guarantee cabin. 

A good deal? I don't think so! 

Hi, the cabin I have is mid ship.  I do see now what you are referring to.....I see part of that buffet deck is above me. When you say you hope I don't get one? Is it very noisy? Oh well...….nothing I can do about it now.  I would think the atmosphere would be a bit quieter, even with that above me.  Am I wrong?

Actually, I think the cabin is more underneath a walkway area from the pool rather than the buffet....8039 looks very mid ship to me.

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, the cabin I have is mid ship.  I do see now what you are referring to.....I see part of that buffet deck is above me. When you say you hope I don't get one? Is it very noisy? Oh well...….nothing I can do about it now.  I would think the atmosphere would be a bit quieter, even with that above me.  Am I wrong?

Look at the cabin spreadsheet at the top of this page. You will be able to search against the number. Most noise comes from the staff setting up and clearing down not from guests. Hope you have been lucky 

• Like 1

It depends which cabin you get Lois. Phil will know the cabin numbers to avoid if possible much better than me.

Some of the ones below Windows Cafe and The Patio can be noisy in the early morning when they are setting up the trolleys etc. You may be lucky...hope so after you paid $1000 to upgrade! 

32 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I don't know my level with Azamara.  I am Elite + with Celebrity.

I don't know what other information you are looking for..…I put in 500 as my bid. It took X amount of weeks to get a reply.

I did not do much research so I don't know anything about this 398. people are talking about.   As I mentioned to Phil, I did not know it "used to be" 398.00 total for the whole cabin. I don't know what the minimum was supposed to be.

Thanks very much, Lois, that’s great.

14 minutes ago, uktog said:

Had you not spotted that?  That’s why loyal cruisers especially the solo travellers see very little if any benefit in this scheme- do the maths. How much would x nights in a Specialty plus a spa pass cost you. Unless you’re absolutely paranoid about the shower curtains the maths won’t add up for many - never mind the noise from above quite a few suites midships

No, I hadn’t spotted that the bid is per person, rather than per stateroom! That’s why I was very puzzled when I saw that Lois R had paid $1000 for a $500 bid.

Hm, I don’t think that’s obvious in the general information about the new system, although I can now see that it is in the FAQs attached to the website page.

So for everyone it’s now at least double what we paid under the previous scheme and no chance to turn an offer down - they will make lots more money then, won’t they.

17 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Actually, I think the cabin is more underneath a walkway area from the pool rather than the buffet....8039 looks very mid ship to me.

You should be fine in 8039 Lois. It's not under a busy traffic area, but rather loungers that really don't move, except on White Night and morning after (not early morning). I've been in 8035 and it was ok. 

Phil