AZ Upgrade Program - NEW - effective 3/12/19!!

BBMacLaird

1 minute ago, hiccups said:

My feeling is there will be enough new to Azamara passengers that, not knowing the old system, will give it a whirl--they're used to it from X or NCL.  As long as Azamara can get more than the $398/cabin they used to get from LCV members, I don't think they'll care who they get the money from, unfortunately.

I agree Azamara won't care who they get the money from but looking at some of the recent reviews from new Azamara cruisers it seems that not all think it's good value for money. There are a few "fire sales" going on for several cruises at the moment. 

A close friend of mine was looking to book two cruises this summer and despite me telling him how great the Azamara onboard experience is, he has booked a Viking cruise and a Seabourn cruise. He compared the cabin quality and value for money and they won hands down. He is quite a new cruiser. There is no doubt the Azamara ships are getting older and the prices are getting higher. While I love the onboard experience and count many of the officers and crew as my friends, they cannot compensate for every deficiency. 

Having said that, I am really looking forward to my May Pursuit cruise with lovely friends. It just may be that from now on I only book one Azamara cruise a year instead of my usual three or four.  

• Like 1

It is very disappointing and does make me think I should look elsewhere.

I still think Azamara should be honest and respond to my question. I don’t expect them to reveal the so called multiplier equation I would just like an answer to my question that the first and formost denominator in a successful bid is who bids the most and only then do we see other factors considered 

Bonnie can you help clarify this?

On 4/1/2019 at 6:58 AM, hiccups said:

Both members of a couple must be signed up for emails?  That's a no-go for us, as my DH would never agree to getting more junk mail than he already does.  Kind of a dumb requirement, IMO.  But it explains why I never get any Azamara emails, perhaps!

Our LCV ambassador tells me it is not correct that both members must be opted in (signed up) for emails. Only the person who's email address is on the booking reservation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lottie A said:

If enough of us don't play it...then maybe Azamara will reconsider? 

I expect this to surprise you but the program is proving very popular. We have had more bidders under the new Upgrade program, in this short time frame, than we had in the last year.  Also interesting to us is that most bidders are LCV members. 

53 minutes ago, gymfreak said:

It is very disappointing and does make me think I should look elsewhere.

I still think Azamara should be honest and respond to my question. I don’t expect them to reveal the so called multiplier equation I would just like an answer to my question that the first and formost denominator in a successful bid is who bids the most and only then do we see other factors considered 

Bonnie can you help clarify this?

Hi Gymfreak, I have no further insight into the algorithm than I've already posted. 

I'm sorry Bonnie.....I don't quite understand what you mean by  "more bidders than this past year"?

How can you compare numbers from a year ago as this new bidding deal has only just been rolled out a couple of weeks ago. Do you mean those guests that applied for the $398 upgrade in the past? If so, it's not really apples for apples is it? 

We we have yet to see any hard evidence of bidding success with the parameters such as LCV loyalty levels etc on the bidding thread. As I said previously, I won't be bidding, but I'm sure there are people who would be interested in the precise criteria for a successful upgrade bid. 

6 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

How can you compare numbers from a year ago as this new bidding deal has only just been rolled out a couple of weeks ago. Do you mean those guests that applied for the $398 upgrade in the past? If so, it's not really apples for apples is it? 

A simple head count...the total number of guests who applied for the $398 upgrade last year compared to the total number of guests who have submitted a bid [on a future cruise] since roll-out.

Not comparing those who were successful in the past to those who may or may not be successful in the future. That is still to be determined. 

1 hour ago, BBMacLaird said:

A simple head count...the total number of guests who applied for the $398 upgrade last year compared to the total number of guests who have submitted a bid [on a future cruise] since roll-out.

Not comparing those who were successful in the past to those who may or may not be successful in the future. That is still to be determined. 

What Azamara is losing, Bonnie, are your most loyal cruisers, who are turned off by the new process that diminishes our LCV seniority for which we've each put hundreds of thousands of dollars into Azamara's wallet. 

We've just booked a Windstar cruise (our fifth) through that guy that Azamara uses to dump unsold staterooms, and we'll be looking to that venue as we continue cruising.  If Azamara sees no need to be loyal to us, why should we be loyal to you?

Edited by marinaro44
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

What Azamara is losing, Bonnie, are your most loyal cruisers, who are turned off by the new process that diminishes our LCV seniority for which we've each put hundreds of thousands of dollars into Azamara's wallet. 

We've just booked a Windstar cruise (our fifth) through that guy that Azamara uses to dump unsold staterooms, and we'll be looking to that venue as we continue cruising.  If Azamara sees no need to be loyal to us, why should we be loyal to you?

I would be terribly sorry to lose you marinaro44! I've enjoyed sailing with you both, and I always appreciate your contributions to this CC forum. But I am saddened you feel having sole access to upgrades is how you decide on your loyalty to Azamara.  

Though, on second reading of your post it appears you have not been 100% loyal to us (4 prior cruises on Windstar...what??!) Not that we ask for 100% fealty...most people sail on various lines as well as enjoy land-based vacations, or the odd stay-cation.  I know I do. I've never sailed on Windstar but they now own the 3 ships I used to call "mine" so I will be interested in hearing what you think.

All that aside, with your LCV level I am sure you'd be well in the running for available Azamara Upgrades. I hope you'll give the new upgrade system a chance, if you are one who is interested in upgrading (not everyone is interested.)

p.s. if you do go AWOL for other lines, I hope you'll still be active on our Azamara CC forum. As said above, I appreciate your comments. Not many know our ships and crew as well as you! 

20 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

Though, on second reading of your post it appears you have not been 100% loyal to us (4 prior cruises on Windstar...what??!)

Well, the first Windstar cruise happened when our month-long holiday cruises were broken up by an Azamara charter to a swingers crowd, and we had to find a seven-day alternative before reboarding Quest a week later, so...your fault.  The next three were b2b2b Canada/New England cruises that Azamara seems not to want to offer.  Except, of course, for the Aussie-chartered Quest cruise a few years back from Montreal to New Orleans, and to do that one we had to track down the chartering agency down-under in order to book.

Thirty-eight cruises on Azamara, with another ten booked, strikes me as loyal enough.  The four 2020 cruises, however, are in question at this time.  Devaluing my loyalty has consequences

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

I find that to be a head scratcher.  More people have applied for an upgrade in the 3 weeks of the new program than applied in ALL of 2018?  Especially considering we can now only apply 90 days in advance instead of as soon as we book?

Of course, the old upgrade program was only open to LCV members, so there would now be a segment of passengers that were previously ineligible to apply, and that would inflate numbers.  I would suspect more first timers are bidding than LCV members.

Bottom line, this is a way for Azamara to make more money, and any other spin is, as I have said previously, disingenuous.  They need to just own it.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, gymfreak said:

I would just like an answer to my question that the first and formost denominator in a successful bid is who bids the most and only then do we see other factors considered 

12 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

Hi Gymfreak, I have no further insight into the algorithm than I've already posted

Bonnie, thank you for your response and I appreciate you may not have any more insight, however my question is a simple one to confirm I am correct or not. Are you able to enquire within the organisation for the answer?

I was dutiful in the past with my applications to the LCV upgrade program, snapping written requests over to corporate mere minutes after booking.  I did this for years and finally achieved balcony-to-suite upgrade last March.  We were in heaven - kids in a candy shop - luxuriating in the larger bathroom; eating in the specialty restaurants and refining our butler-delivered afternoon treats.

With the advent of this new program I'm stunned to learn that my travel agency choice has ever precluded me from any upgrade.  That one cruise last March was a one-off, booked through a different agent and only now do I learn that we never in the past "qualified" for the upgrade.  Feeling silly, I wonder why I was never told it was impossible due to my TA?  I've had telephone conversations with and emails from LCV assuring me of my "place in line" respective of the former program.  Clearly, now, that was never true. 

On 4/3/2019 at 8:28 PM, BBMacLaird said:

Bonnie, it's because Azamara now actively offer the upgrades rather than rely upon the guest to apply for them.   I'm sure some didn't even realise the $398 upgrade existed as evidenced by some posts in the past here. Of course, providing Azamara have the contact email, everyone booking and eligible will know about it. However, the fact remains that it will be much more expensive to upgrade if available and there is no way of determining which cabin you'll get. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Bonnie, it's because Azamara now actively offer the upgrades rather than rely upon the guest to apply for them.   I'm sure some didn't even realise the $398 upgrade existed as evidenced by some posts in the past here. Of course, providing Azamara have the contact email, everyone booking and eligible will know about it. However, the fact remains that it will be much more expensive to upgrade if available and there is no way of determining which cabin you'll get. 

Phil 

Absolutely spot on as usual Phil.

Well,  I received an email from Azamara today and my bid was accepted and they have moved me to Club Continental Suite.

My bid was quite a bit more than 398.00 though...…..anyway, my new cabin is mid ship on deck 8.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SkystheLimit said:

Lois,  Did you have any say so in your cabin once your bid was accepted?  How long once you submitted you bid was it before you knew your bid was accepted?  Thanks. MJ

Hi MJ, how are you?  I didn't ask about anything concerning the cabin....when I saw the location I thought it was good. Mid ship!...How long did it take? It is now April 4th...…. I think I sent the email in the middle of March.....so a few weeks.

12 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi MJ, how are you?  I didn't ask about anything concerning the cabin....when I saw the location I thought it was good. Mid ship!...How long did it take? It is now April 4th...…. I think I sent the email in the middle of March.....so a few weeks.

Lois,  Doing well. Thank you.  We are on the Journey 5/28 and received the email upgrade yesterday.  Appreciate your answering.  Seems like yesterday we were sailing the Greek Isles together.  Hope you have a wonderful trip.  Love Bermuda and Charleston. MJ

We sail on 1 July on the Journey in 88 days time. I booked this cruise onboard using my LCV discount and my 4 free days for changing LCV level. Looking at the T & Cs for the new upgrade system I wondered if I would qualify. Bonnie said she thought I would still qualify, but it seems not. I have had no email and when I tried the ‘find out if you’re eligible’ boxes I got a message saying I wasn’t eligible!

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

Well,  I received an email from Azamara today and my bid was accepted and they have moved me to Club Continental Suite.

My bid was quite a bit more than 398.00 though...…..anyway, my new cabin is mid ship on deck 8.

Hi Lois. Just as a matter of interest how much was it?  You sailing solo this time too?

My good friends John and Paul, currently on Pursuit at the moment with me will fly to NY to do the same cruise. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Lois

Would you be prepared to say what you Bid so I can include it ( anonymously) in a Bid experiences spreadsheet. If so you could email me at hostgrandmacruising@cruisecritic.com.

3 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Hi Lois. Just as a matter of interest how much was it?  You sailing solo this time too?

My good friends John and Paul, currently on Pursuit at the moment with me will fly to NY to do the same cruise. 

Phil 

Hi Phil, yes sailing solo (the only way I go:classic_smile:)..lets just say it was more than double that 398.00 figure.  (for 2) because of course we solo folks pay double.

• Thanks 1