Regent's Crew Welfare Fund

11 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

TC2. I really agree with you, however if Regent isn't willing to "enforce" this policy with their employees--Regent is letting it go.  Passengers shouldn't be the ones that enforce these rules/policies.  It's no different than the dress policy, if Regent doesn't enforce it, then so what.  Regent is the company, not the passenger, therefore Regent needs to be the enforcer.  Until that happens people will do what's right for them.  Actually CruisetheCs post #43 has it right, IMO.

I disagree about enforcement only because, unlike the dress code, it is almost impossible to do.  They cannot observe what is going on inside of every suite on the last day of a cruise.  What they can do is ask crew members to ask a passenger that wants to tip to donate to the Crew Welfare Fund instead.  While this isn't a full solution, it may help.  

I hope that I never see another thread like the one from our last cruise where three of us (and only two were posting regularly) saw the same thing in Compass Rose and posted about it.  

Agree completely about the Crew Welfare Fund and the "official policy" needing to be clarified.  

Edited by Travelcat2

2 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I disagree about enforcement only because, unlike the dress code, it is almost impossible to do.  They cannot observe what is going on inside of every suite on the last day of a cruise.  What they can do is ask crew members to ask a passenger that wants to tip to donate to the Crew Welfare Fund instead.  While this isn't a full solution, it may help.  

I hope that I never see another thread like the one from our last cruise where three of us (and only two were posting regularly) saw the same thing in Compass Rose and posted about it.  

Agree completely about the Crew Welfare Fund and the "official policy" needing to be clarified.  

That's OK we all have are opinion, but remember Regent can enforce the policy by telling their employees to refuse a gratuity if offered-that will but an end to this.  The Crew Welfare Fund is a good idea, but IMO would be only used for helping a crew member in need.  Not a party, new furniture or games.  That cost should be a Regent cost for doing business.  Just MO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

That's OK we all have are opinion, but remember Regent can enforce the policy by telling their employees to refuse a gratuity if offered-that will but an end to this.  The Crew Welfare Fund is a good idea, but IMO would be only used for helping a crew member in need.  Not a party, new furniture or games.  That cost should be a Regent cost for doing business.  Just MO.

Agree!

I'm interested in what the other posters think about the LA Lakers game tickets as a proper use of the crew fund?

I think that's perfectly fine. If I gave an extra tip to my room steward, I would hope that they are able to use it for something extra, and don't need it to travel home for a death in the family. I would expect Regent to pay for a family or medical emergency. I would not expect Regent to pay for crew parties,  pool tables or LA Lakers tickets.

We have given 50 dollars to a few crew members that we have interacted with daily and have given us excellent service. We always donate money to the crew fund. We have used residual onboard ship credit and haven't had a problem with doing that. We always talk to the crew and ask about their life onboard and back home. We find it interesting, and they normally feel free to talk about it.

Edited by SWFLAOK

We are all adults and able to make our own choices based on the Regent guide line on tipping. When I read the gratuity is included, that means just that...I am not expected to tip in addition and the crew does not expect anything from me. I saw a little sliding of money the last day of the WC in the dinning room but that was the passenger's choice. I don't worry about what others do. We got excellent service and no was standing around us waiting for a tip. We always mention the crew members going above and beyond caring for us on the mid cruise and end of cruise comment cards and to them at the time of the services. The crew we recognize always thank us for this and I know it helps them in their career.

To us, the crew fund is a wonderful idea and the crew know who gives to it. The crew fund was used to fund several events off the ship for crew during the world cruise last year. The crew seemed to look forward to these events and enjoy them. On another cruise, a crew member was helped in an emergency situation. During the last segment of two grand voyages we have been on, they have had ship wide auctions benefiting the crew fund and have listed things the fund has been used for. Over $20,000 on just two items was raised by my informal calculation. The crew was very happy and a lot of money was raised. It was a fun afternoon for many passengers including me.

Edited by cwn
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MalbecWine said:

I agree as well well, but if Regent or any other line does not enforce it, than the policy is worthless.  It’s up to Regent to enforce the rules/policy not the guests. None of us own these companies.

Regent tipping threads has never been about guests enforcing policies.  It is about posters stating/bragging/? that they tip onboard - despite the policy.  On one hand we are told by posters that it is a private matter ....... yet, they are more than willing to share that they tip.  This is confusing to posters new to Regent.  They end up seeing pages of arguments when a simple reference to the "official policy" would suffice.

If someone wants what they do to be private, it behooves them to stop talking about it.

P.S.  I assume that Laker tickets was meant as a joke. If not, it may be the strangest post that I have ever read (do not recall who made that post and am too lazy to look).  Under other circumstances, I would have found it funny.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Regent tipping threads has never been about guests enforcing policies.  It is about posters stating/bragging/? that they tip onboard - despite the policy.  On one hand we are told by posters that it is a private matter ....... yet, they are more than willing to share that they tip.  This is confusing to posters new to Regent.  They end up seeing pages of arguments when a simple reference to the "official policy" would suffice.

If someone wants what they do to be private, it behooves them to stop talking about it.

P.S.  I assume that Laker tickets was meant as a joke. If not, it may be the strangest post that I have ever read (do not recall who made that post and am too lazy to look).  Under other circumstances, I would have found it funny.

Bragging?  How is stating what one does regarding tipping some form of bragging?  If one says, "I don"t tip", why is that not bragging?  If one says " I tip", why is that bragging?  Using terms such as "bragging" to apply to other posters is one of the reasons that threads end up going off track and getting shut down.

If the "official" policy was a clear yes or no with regard to tipping then citing it would suffice, but obviously the policy is ambiguous given all the examples and interpretations on this thread.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CruisetheCs said:

If the "official" policy was a clear yes or no with regard to tipping then citing it would suffice, but obviously the policy is ambiguous given all the examples and interpretations on this thread.

I really don’t see the ambiguity with the policy.  It may not be strongly worded but it’s obviously an attempt to discourage passengers from leaving gratuities via methods other than the crew fund.

How people choose to interpret it is another issue.

If Regent came out and said “Gratuities to crew members will not be tolerated - guests leaving tips will be banned from Regent ships and crew members accepting tips will be terminated immediately” it would be less open to interpretation...but I’m pretty sure no one wants to see that.

It seems to me that the tipping issue is like the dress code issue - everyone really knows what the policy is, some just chose to disregard it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

I really don’t see the ambiguity with the policy.  It may not be strongly worded but it’s obviously an attempt to discourage passengers from leaving gratuities via methods other than the crew fund.

How people choose to interpret it is another issue.

If Regent came out and said “Gratuities to crew members will not be tolerated - guests leaving tips will be banned from Regent ships and crew members accepting tips will be terminated immediately” it would be less open to interpretation...but I’m pretty sure no one wants to see that.

It seems to me that the tipping issue is like the dress code issue - everyone really knows what the policy is, some just chose to disregard it.

Bill, really don't agree with you.  If Regent didn't want additional gratuities to be given to crew members.  They would inform crew members that they are "not to accept gratuities from passengers" period.  It's really up to Regent to police the company policy-it's really as simple as that.  If your employer tell you not to do something, and it's against company policy--you don't do it.

• Like 1

I would really like to think that Lakers tickets or a day trip to Macys or a classical music concert is something that a Crew Fund might be used for. If the $$ can be allocated for  some downtime enjoyment for these guys, away from the day to day passenger routines and to let  loose........we may rethink the Crew fund.

• Like 1

As a future Regent cruiser, I am confused by this discussion. On all the ~ 15  l lines I have been on, gratuities included or not, the money went to the crew in a pool to be distributed individually or directly as individual tips. This money had nothing to do with the crew fund. You could donate directly to the crew fund or participate in an auction or other fund raiser for the crew fund.

The crew are adults, imho it's up to them how they want to spend that crew fund money. If I were working long hours 7 days a week for 7-9 months with a smile, I would also want a fun event once in while to break up the monotony.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Bill, really don't agree with you.  If Regent didn't want additional gratuities to be given to crew members.  They would inform crew members that they are "not to accept gratuities from passengers" period.  It's really up to Regent to police the company policy-it's really as simple as that.  If your employer tell you not to do something, and it's against company policy--you don't do it.

Regent might discourage their employees from accepting tips, but I don’t think it’s directly prohibited, I don’t know for sure.  But honestly, policing a policy like that would be tough, if not impossible.  I’ve seen some tippers who just wont take “no” for an answer if someone declines a tip.  Just makes it awkward all around.

Also, do we know that there’s no internal policy that stipulates all gratuities received get placed in the crew fund, like tip pools in some restaurants?

3 minutes ago, fizzy said:

I would really like to think that Lakers tickets or a day trip to Macys or a classical music concert is something that a Crew Fund might be used for. If the $$ can be allocated for  some downtime enjoyment for these guys, away from the day to day passenger routines and to let  loose........we may rethink the Crew fund.

I’d think the crew has some input into what the funds are spent on.  Regent says parties & events, that leaves it kind of open as to what it’s spent on.

2 minutes ago, Floridiana said:

The crew are adults, imho it's up to them how they want to spend that crew fund money. If I were working long hours 7 days a week for 7-9 months with a smile, I would also want a fun event once in while to break up the monotony.

Agreed.  But I wonder how much input the crew actually has into how it’s spent.  I’d think they’d get to vote on it or something, but I really don’t know.

18 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Regent might discourage their employees from accepting tips, but I don’t think it’s directly prohibited, I don’t know for sure.  But honestly, policing a policy like that would be tough, if not impossible.  I’ve seen some tippers who just wont take “no” for an answer if someone declines a tip.  Just makes it awkward all around.

Still disagree, the policy on tipping would be tough to enforce, but not impossible.  It would all depend on Regent and how they present it to the employee.  

I know Regent can enforce the policy if they wanted too-however they don't.  Once at a private club an employee when out of their way and did something very special for us, yes I was tipping them after what was done--however very nicely they stated, Thank you so much I was very happy to make this happen.  However it's our policy and we do not except gratuities-and thanks for understanding.  So it can be done.

But until Regent does something and mean it I'm on the side that you don't like---If my room Stewart and Butler (that I deal with everyday) do an over the top service for me, as always they will be getting tip at the end of the cruise. 

I am not going to parse Regent’s statement which I find clear enough. Plus ?I respect individual choices. 

IF Regent is going to exert itself to enforce its own rules, I would prefer the emphasis to be on limiting  lounge chair hogs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PaulaJK said:

I am not going to parse Regent’s statement which I find clear enough. Plus ?I respect individual choices. 

IF Regent is going to exert itself to enforce its own rules, I would prefer the emphasis to be on limiting  lounge chair hogs. 

Exactly! 

And what difference does it make?  Tip.  Don't tip.  Donate to the CWF.  Don't donate to the CWF.

I don't know why some passengers are so concerned about what other passengers are doing. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Juno56 said:

Exactly! 

And what difference does it make?  Tip.  Don't tip.  Donate to the CWF.  Don't donate to the CWF.

I don't know why some passengers are so concerned about what other passengers are doing. 

Now this I can agree with, however if you do tip it on Regent seems your a bad person on Regent on this Board.

• Haha 1

Just now, PaulaJK said:

Just now, Juno56 said:

Exactly! 

Exactly...as I said earlier in this thread we are all adults, can read and make our own choices.  We know what Regent would prefer. it is stated in their materials and I have heard it on the ship.

Besides the crew we have met on own long voyages seem happy about how the crew fund is handled.  

• Like 1

Whether you are:

1.  on a cruise line where gratuities are assessed on a daily basis and charged to one's account at the conclusion of a cruise, or

2.  you are under some sort of promotion where gratuities are included, or

3.  you traveling on a line where gratuities are included as part of the base cruise fare (i.e., Regent)... 

some guests are going to want to reward outstanding service, in the form of an additional cash tips.  I think someone alluded to this upthread.  It is going to happen.  Period.

The way I interpret Regents policy, and particularly the underscored language below, is that Regent personnel are the ones who are supposed to be "encouraging" the guest to donate to the CWF. 

Gratuities are included in the cruise fare for all Regent employees. If guests feel strongly about expressing       their gratitude to the crew, they should be encouraged to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund at the       Purser Office. This money is utilized for crew parties and events.

IMO, an assistant room steward, when standing in front of a disembarking guest placing a $20 bill in his/her hand, is likely not going to do that.  As others have said, it's likely the guest would be just as unhappy about being told what they can, or cannot, do in this regard as the steward would be in having to decline accepting the token of recognition.

And FWIW, on our two Regent cruises so far we have not witnessed any staff openly soliciting gratuities.  We have, however, seen staff accepting a cash gratuity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulaJK said:

Yes, please!! Its the most infuriating bad habit of some people!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juno56 said:

Exactly! 

IMO, there is a big difference.  Tipping sets up expectations by the crew (which could be why a few have begun "hovering").  Also, it is human nature to want to give a little extra service to those passengers who are known to tip (and the crew discusses this stuff between themselves).  

There will likely always be a bit of tipping on luxury cruise lines but when a poster is considering a Regent cruise and asks about tipping, having posters volunteer the information (which they often say is private) seems to "grow" more tippers (and people in the U.S. are tippers in the first place).  On top of that, there is always (yes - always) arguments when this subject comes up so someone considering Regent or is new to Regent see the worst in the posters on CC.

RJ2002 - you may notice that Regent treats their passengers with the utmost respect and does not post a lot of rules by the pool and in other places like some cruise lines do.  Many of us (me included) did not think that the tipping recommendations were in fact an "official policy" until this thread.  Regent also does not say that you will be asked to return to your suite and change clothing if you are wearing shorts or jeans (but they do enforce it if they notice it).  So, what Regent is kindly spelling out for their guests in the Q&A section of their website are actually policies that are being delivered in the softest way possible.

Regent does "encourage" passengers to donate too the CWF if they feel strongly about expressing their gratitude.  They do not say or suggest to tip.  The option that they are giving passengers is to donate the CWF fund.

Yes - we are all adults and can make decisions for ourselves so please let everyone make their own decisions - based on the official policy (no matter how strangely it is worded) without sharing what our personal beliefs are.  

P.S.  The reason I found the Laker tickets so funny is that at least 95% of the crew are not from the U.S.  They are at sea months at a time and look forward to going home to their country.  Some would have great difficulty getting a tourist visa to the U.S. to see a Laker game (if they even wanted to). If they wanted to go to the U.S. (and many do), they cannot afford to do so.  In my opinion, giving Laker tickets to a crew member would be like giving me tickets to a sporting event in Lithuania  (not picking on that country - just giving an example of how unlikely it would be that they would ever be used).

Can't we just leave it that Regent discourages tipping, and that the crew fund can be for fun events, and emergencies?  That being said, wouldn't it be nice if a staff member politely declined a tip, and suggested the crew fund instead?

I can certainly imagine a young gang from the Philippines having a blast at a Laker's game, despite not being American (?!?)

• Like 1

Wendy, yes indeed I can imagine the crew enjoying an American sporting event.  On one of our cruises, there was a young man from Serbia ( a very tall young man) who knew more about college basketball than we did!  He took great delight in discussing Syracuse basketball after he found out where we were from.  Had many fun discussions with him.

• Like 1