Wait to get in room

rollingjay

1 minute ago, susancruzs said:

Good outlook, Rabbit.  I've never had an issue asking if I can set my carry on in the cabin, out of the way, no one has ever said no.   I don't look at it as a big deal, if you have to wait, relax, have lunch, a drink, I'm on a cruise what is not to like???

Amen,

Last fall we got on well before lunch (before 11AM). Found a place to put our luggage and explored for 30 minutes then did lunch. Never even checked to see if the room was ready. After lunch we went by the room, left our luggage, and then off to find a place to sit out and watch the day go by.

On 3/17/2019 at 2:40 PM, getting older slowly said:

You do not need to carry on all your luggage.... just small carry ons

Always carry on medicine, valuables, any important documents, change of clothes and any delicate items (once saw longshoremen throwing bags for distance on cement floor)

3 hours ago, susancruzs said:

Good outlook, Rabbit.  I've never had an issue asking if I can set my carry on in the cabin, out of the way, no one has ever said no.   I don't look at it as a big deal, if you have to wait, relax, have lunch, a drink, I'm on a cruise what is not to like???

Depends on the ship or captain, don't know who makes decision. Have read reports that that on some ships, the fire doors going to hallways by elevators are closed preventing pax from even getting close to cabins. 

• 2 weeks later...

We boarded the Coral last Friday in San Pedro.  We were onboard by 11:30 and we were able to go straight to our staterooms.  There was no wait for the rooms to be available.  Certainly the first time I ever experienced that!

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 7:14 PM, jlp20 said:

Depends on the ship or captain, don't know who makes decision. Have read reports that that on some ships, the fire doors going to hallways by elevators are closed preventing pax from even getting close to cabins. 

Happened to us on the Ruby in January.

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

We boarded the Coral last Friday in San Pedro.  We were onboard by 11:30 and we were able to go straight to our staterooms.  There was no wait for the rooms to be available.  Certainly the first time I ever experienced that!

That has been the norm for us. Only once were we told cabins weren't ready. We went to locate our cabin with no expectation that it would be ready. The steward was in the hallway and told us our cabin was ready and to go on in. We sail i May. If there's a wait to get to the cabin it certainly won't be a big deal.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

They've given up on trying to keep people from going to their rooms earlier than 1:30. They had to many arguments & decided to just let everyone drop off luggage even if the room was being cleaned.

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

They've given up on trying to keep people from going to their rooms earlier than 1:30. They had to many arguments & decided to just let everyone drop off luggage even if the room was being cleaned.

Such a blanket statement isn't supported by the evidence offered by other cruisers.  The only thing safe to say is that it varies ship by ship (and possibly cruise by cruise).

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 9:25 AM, capriccio said:

Such a blanket statement isn't supported by the evidence offered by other cruisers.  The only thing safe to say is that it varies ship by ship (and possibly cruise by cruise).

My observations are only based on 11 sailings on 3 different ships since 2017.

On some of those sailings even though some people chose to carry their luggage around until 1 PM, you could have dropped off your luggage in the cabin as soon as you boarded. They just didn't want people to actually use the cabin prior to 1 PM when it was completely finished.

48 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

My observations are only based on 11 sailings on 3 different ships since 2017.

On some of those sailings even though some people chose to carry their luggage around until 1 PM, you could have dropped off your luggage in the cabin as soon as you boarded. They just didn't want people to actually use the cabin prior to 1 PM when it was completely finished.

And I have two cruises (most recently the Ruby Princess last summer) out of over 20 where you weren't even allowed in the hallways - the doors were locked and alarmed.  Hence the comment that it varies.

4 minutes ago, capriccio said:

And I have two cruises (most recently the Ruby Princess last summer) out of over 20 where you weren't even allowed in the hallways - the doors were locked and alarmed.  Hence the comment that it varies.

Locking of doors that involved fire exits, that would be something I would not allow while in US waters.  If I was on the ship and the hallways doors were lock three things would happen for sure: 1) The alarms would be going off, 2) a formal compliant would be made to the USCG.  3) And the Hotel Director would not be having a good day. You do not lock doors on ships they are used for fire exits. In 85 cruises never seen the doors locked in the hallways.  Have seen water tight doors closed during storms but never locking passengers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

Locking of doors that involved fire exits, that would be something I would not allow while in US waters.  If I was on the ship and the hallways doors were lock three things would happen for sure: 1) The alarms would be going off, 2) a formal compliant would be made to the USCG.  3) And the Hotel Director would not be having a good day. You do not lock doors on ships they are used for fire exits. In 85 cruises never seen the doors locked in the hallways.  Have seen water tight doors closed during storms but never locking passengers. 

Maybe closed and alarmed would be a more apt description.  They could definitely be opened from the hallway to the elevator lobbies.

I do take offense to posters making blanket statements saying that because something never happened to them it could never have happened to anyone else!  There have been plenty of recent postings (since last summer) of it happening on the Ruby Princess.  Unfortunately I can't remember whether it was an earlier cruise on the Ruby or another Princess ship where we ran into the same thing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Maybe closed and alarmed would be a more apt description.  They could definitely be opened from the hallway to the elevator lobbies.

I do take offense to posters making blanket statements saying that because something never happened to them it could never have happened to anyone else!  There have been plenty of recent postings (since last summer) of it happening on the Ruby Princess.  Unfortunately I can't remember whether it was an earlier cruise on the Ruby or another Princess ship where we ran into the same thing.

I never said it did not happen to you just that I would not allow the ship to do this if I was on the ship.  It is about safety not corporate profit.  maybe others who just wait, which you are free to do, I would not just wait.

18 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

I never said it did not happen to you just that I would not allow the ship to do this if I was on the ship.  It is about safety not corporate profit.  maybe others who just wait, which you are free to do, I would not just wait.

Yes, I've read some posters that said the doors were closed & they willingly complied by carrying around their luggage until the rooms were ready. 

As it were, the doors were NEVER locked  & could be opened in case of fire or in-transit people wanting to access their rooms. 

On our last 6 or 7 cruises we've never found them to be even closed, hence my assumption that they've given up on closing them during boarding. 

Possibly someone made a formal complaint about fire exits being blocked?

They used to make announcements about fire doors being closed during dills & that they could be opened as needed but never about them being closed during embarkation. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2019 at 4:29 AM, MissP22 said:

This is incorrect.

I have posted this previously.....

Yes that is the policy for Princess now and has been for quite some time.

They counter this with allowing boarding around 11:00am now.

I have a nice lunch and by the time I am done the rooms are ready at 1:00pm.

They also usually set up an attended bag check in one of the public rooms if you don't want to carry your stuff around.

Room Stewards are working their tails off with up to 18 rooms to tend to and to get the rooms turned around from the prior cruise. Cut them some slack by letting them finish.

• Like 3

On 3/15/2019 at 9:00 AM, cheeseclan said:

I have been on 38 Princess Cruises, with the last being the Crown in January, and have never had to wait to go to our cabin.  Wondering if this is something new??

For the last four years, if traveling on the Regal or Royal, it’s been 1:00 o’clock, at least for us; 1:30 two weeks ago due to a Coast Guard inspection.  

26 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

This is incorrect.

I have posted this previously.....

Yes that is the policy for Princess now and has been for quite some time.

They counter this with allowing boarding around 11:00am now.

I have a nice lunch and by the time I am done the rooms are ready at 1:00pm.

They also usually set up an attended bag check in one of the public rooms if you don't want to carry your stuff around.

Room Stewards are working their tails off with up to 18 rooms to tend to and to get the rooms turned around from the prior cruise. Cut them some slack by letting them finish.

What ever you like to believe.

If you choose to bring your luggage to lunch then do so. I opt to drop off my luggage, let them do their job and then eat lunch without having to drag any luggage around and it's been working out fine for me, including the Crown last week.

No announcements & no flack from any stewards. 

Confession time, two weeks ago on the Royal we boarded around 12:00, had lunch in Alfredo’s, were done by 12:45. Decided to go to our room to see if we could drop off luggage.   Every single door in the hallway had a door propped open. The stewards were still making up the rooms due to a Coast Guard inspection, which delayed them greatly.  At any rate, I met our steward who was up the hallway from our room and I told him we would just drop the carry ons and leave ASAP, which is what we did.  We were in the room probably 10 seconds tops. 

We then went out to the pool deck and hung out until 1:45. 

Upon boarding, nobody suggested a carry-on luggage drop-off area, unlike on previous cruises. 

Edited by 4cats4me
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

And a fourth thing that would probably happen is the ship would depart without you and your luggage.  And that would be you not having a good day.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

I would not allow the ship to do this if I was on the ship.  It is about safety not corporate profit.  maybe others who just wait, which you are free to do, I would not just wait.

I'll be happy to wave to you as the ship sails and you are on the pier.  You would not allow it??  You seem to have an exaggerated idea of your power and authority.

As to safety, the closed doors are NOT between the passengers and exits, but are keeping the passengers from flowing away from the exits.

This whole topic is much ado about little.  So I keep my carry-on luggage with me for an hour or so.  No big deal!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

As to safety, the closed doors are NOT between the passengers and exits, but are keeping the passengers from flowing away from the exits.

That is the main exit for many people and should be free to access at any time short of a fire. As long a they began letting people on board we'll be leaving our luggage in the room that we've pair for even though it may not be ready for occupancy.

I view the delay of the cabins being ready the same as the the staggered boarding notice, a mere suggestion. 

8 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

Ha! You could get that creepy cruise lawyer you always quote to represent you!   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I view the delay of the cabins being ready the same as the the staggered boarding notice, a mere suggestion. 

And I view it as an order from the duly constituted ship authority, not a "mere suggestion."  

Some day, for fun, check out the breadth of a ship captain's legal authority.

• Like 2