Best souveniers question

Acheavacci

I like to buy tea towels.  I smile at the memories that come up every time I use them.  The most elaborate souvenir I've purchased is a miniature traditional kayak, complete with all of the fishing tools, made by a man in Illulisat. Part of the treat was talking with the maker.

Earrings and scarves.  Take up next to nothing in my carryons.  I can wear any of them any day and think of where I purchased them.    I had a few exceptions: a carved "smoking man" (put inscense cone at the bottom and it comes out his mouth) I bought from a man in his studio in the hills above Altenberg, Germany;  a Czech crystal vase that actually matched the pattern of the crystal dishes I inherited from my Grandma; a hand-painted ostrich egg that I bought at a shelter for the disabled in Jordan.  Oh, I did bring back ceramic drawer knobs from Italy (Geometrica pattern)  to put on all my kitchen doors and drawers in my new house.  

So many unique souveniers.  I love the fact that each souvenier brings up great memories.   I am also a fan of magnets.  My husband can't stand the clutter on the Fridge so I created a magnetic wall in our basement😃   

8 hours ago, Gwendy said:

I collect stick pins from each port and display them on a pin board at home.  Cheap and easy to carry.  Something else for kids to throw out when i go.  Lol

Not really funny, but when my mum went, her 500 + teaspoons from all around the world and the racks went to charity. Like you meant, just because something has value to you doesn't mean your kids will want it.

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Not to laugh to hard, but when my mum went, her 500 + teaspoons from all around the world and the racks went to charity.

Oh yes, my children have already informed me that they have no interest in any of my collections 😂

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

I did grab two of the spoons, which were apparently mine had my initials on them.

That is so sweet.  I bet you are smiling thinking about the spoons right now. And, your mother is also shining her smile down on you.  

• Like 1

We aren't really into souvenirs....although, we did buy some beer bottle koozies at a few ports!  I don't tend to buy anything I can only look at...it must be useable on a daily basis.  Not into "clutter".  I find my memories are the best souvenir!

2 hours ago, cb at sea said:

We aren't really into souvenirs....although, we did buy some beer bottle koozies at a few ports!  I don't tend to buy anything I can only look at...it must be useable on a daily basis.  Not into "clutter".  I find my memories are the best souvenir!

Bottle Koozie, is a that a sleeve for your beer ? If so, I have a few of them.

Pictures of the destinations. They use virtually no space / weight in my luggage and don't damage. And they'll be great reminders in my dotage. Only downside is that my travels now exceed my wall-space.

And tea-spoons.

Unfortunately that collection's not grown in recent decades because cruise lines, hotels, restaurants, airlines, even British Rail no longer commission their own monogrammed tea-spoons. I wonder why? :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile:

4 hours ago, John Bull said:

Pictures of the destinations. They use virtually no space / weight in my luggage and don't damage. And they'll be great reminders in my dotage. Only downside is that my travels now exceed my wall-space.

And tea-spoons.

Unfortunately that collection's not grown in recent decades because cruise lines, hotels, restaurants, airlines, even British Rail no longer commission their own monogrammed tea-spoons. I wonder why? :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile:

I suppose most people have stopped collecting them, so the demand is not there. I know where there is a huge collection for you to salvage.