Do you believe all the negative reviews?

Stoffel1982

9 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Since your comment totally ignores the mathematics of the finite population correction factor let me give you another example.

To obtain the same adjusted standard error as a sample size of 5 out of a population of 100, if you increase the population to 1000 you would need to increase the sample size to 41. The mathematics do not lie!

My original comment was that valid statistical conclusions can be drawn from small sample sizes.  I know you want to argue but think you actually know the comment is an accurate one.  

21 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

If you have to pick between common sense and math ALWAYS choose math.  Unlike common sense, math is not an oxymoron.  But sense is never common and whenever it contradicts actual math, it is wrong.

Nice quote but you it has nothing to do with the discussion.  There is no contradiction of math when applying a margin of error when conduction a real world statistical sampling. 

It is entirely possible that there can be serious, ongoing issues in one part of the ship while everything else in another location is perfect.  Things like A/C, plumbing, etc.  This is one reason for some conflicting reviews.  Same with furnishings, soft goods.

Edited by iancal

7 hours ago, babs135 said:

Just looked up reviews on 3 ships ,  2 from the same line, for a possible cruise at the end of the year.  All 3 ships receive very mixed reviews; beginning to think no ship is immune from negative reviews.

Ding, ding, ding.

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Nice quote but you it has nothing to do with the discussion.  There is no contradiction of math when applying a margin of error when conduction a real world statistical sampling. 

Nah, I'll go with the person who showed their work over what my math professors used to call hand waving.  You made a statement that used math words that was refuted by ACTUAL math.

6 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I prefer the reviews that give 4 stars as I figure those reviews will be more accurate.  The reviews where everything is either sunshine and roses or doom and gloom I don't count. Those reviewers are either cheerleaders or hate everything.

Seems it is one or  the other.

23 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Since your comment totally ignores the mathematics of the finite population correction factor let me give you another example.

To obtain the same adjusted standard error as a sample size of 5 out of a population of 100, if you increase the population to 1000 you would need to increase the sample size to 41. The mathematics do not lie!

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

My original comment was that valid statistical conclusions can be drawn from small sample sizes.  I know you want to argue but think you actually know the comment is an accurate one.  

Nantahala, I was really scratching my head about this.  I agree with your example.  My original post would have been much better if it indicated a "relative" sample size.  It makes a big difference and I apologize.  

36 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Nantahala, I was really scratching my head about this.  I agree with your example.  My original post would have been much better if it indicated a "relative" sample size.  It makes a big difference and I apologize.  

No problem. Yes the required sample size as a percent of the population decreases as you increase the population.

Happy Cruising

Any time I look at "reviews" the FIRST thing I look at is the "reviewer".  If tjhis is the first review he has ever done.... throw it out.  If ALL of his reviews are negative..... throw it out.   If all his reviews are glowing positive ones..... throw it out.  It' the same as anything on this sites sister "travel" site.  WAY too many cheerleaders or haters with a personal agenda.  

It's the reviewers with a couple hundred posts, a dozen reviews (Ideally on different  cruise lines) and who  are reviewing the total "experience" (As apposed to focusing on "the food in the MDR, or the rudeness of one employee at guest services" ) who get my attention.  

You have a good philosophy there.

I usually read about 2 positives and 2 negatives and that's it.

Being the kind of person I am just do what I do and the hell with the rest.

A rude person is not going to ruin my trip or one or two  bad dishes.

Loud people don't bother me because I'm deaf.

I enjoy the heck out of a drunk making a fool out of themselves.

Edited by JMorris271

4 hours ago, FredT said:

Any time I look at "reviews" the FIRST thing I look at is the "reviewer".  If tjhis is the first review he has ever done.... throw it out.  If ALL of his reviews are negative..... throw it out.   If all his reviews are glowing positive ones..... throw it out.  It' the same as anything on this sites sister "travel" site.  WAY too many cheerleaders or haters with a personal agenda.  

It's the reviewers with a couple hundred posts, a dozen reviews (Ideally on different  cruise lines) and who  are reviewing the total "experience" (As apposed to focusing on "the food in the MDR, or the rudeness of one employee at guest services" ) who get my attention.  

Agreed, multiple reviews of differing ratings mean more to me as well, also read between the lines as sometimes it is not what they have said it is what they haven't said.

We are due to go on our first cruise in June. I researched the ship facilities and the ports and a few reviews.  I'm pretty confident I know what we are getting,  so just going to go with the flow. I'm a glass half full person anyway, so make allowances for any minor niggles. 

On 3/31/2019 at 1:33 PM, evandbob said:

Another cruise critic thread is about cruise lines begging for "10"s on their surveys.  I don't believe any mass market cruise line deserves all tens or all zeroes.

Reviews generally follow a bell curve, with some totally negative, some more negative than positive, some balanced, some more positive than negative, and some all positive.

I throw out each extreme and consider the balanced reviews.  I also ignore the "Best" or "Worst" cruise ever, if written by someone with less than 5 cruises.

I put more value into USCG scores.

On one of my Royal Caribbean cruises there was a five minute presentation over the start of dinner the last night to please give straight tens or the kind staff members would be punished. Those were not the exact words but they're very near.

Edited by TravelinGert

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely!  Read what people are saying in all the reviews, what bothers them may be exactly what bothers you or may be the exact opposite.

There's quite a bit of negative in good reviews as well.  i.e. While looking for our next cruise I find an itinerary I like & then look into the ship; the good reviews are 90% about what a great boat it was for kids.  Oh h e double hockey sticks no, I won't be going on a ship full of kids... my vacation is about getting away from them.  ;) 

Yes, unhappy people are louder - just look at what they are saying, see if it applies to you, if it does, go a little further and look at the other reviews they left, see if they seem reasonable and their mindset/goals seem similar to yours.

I recently had a "bad cruise" it definitely happens, it's not "what you make it", there are things you simply can't ignore or enjoy.  (In our case a wild gang of teenagers running the halls, beating on doors & walls at 2-3am every night.  No sleep will make anyone unhappy - quick!  & their reviews will reflect it.)

While I read reviews of ships I'm considering sailing on, I take negative reviews with a grain of salt and just look for trends. I find it difficult to believe that any modern cruise ship is so terribly awful that it's not worth sailing on. If I believed most of the reviews about the Costa ship we just sailed on, I'd have run screaming before it ever sailed. Reviews such as, 'worst cruise ever,' 'don't book Costa,' and 'wanted to leave after one day' were the norm for Costa Deliziosa and admittedly, I was a little nervous after booking. But our first sailing on Costa (a 24-night transatlantic) was incredible! We had the best time, and couldn't understand why so many people hate the line. Although we did overhear one couple denigrating the ship and crew, and vowing to never sail Costa again because (true story) they couldn't get ice cream 24 hours a day. 😐 

Years ago on this board someone said apply the 80/20 rule.  That means if 80% of the people who responded are in agreement on something take it to be true.  You will never, ever get 100% agreement on anything.  So...if 80% feel a certain way then you should consider that to be reliable.  Hope this helps.

Paul

I never took to heart the negative reviews till we cruised on the Celebrity EDGE. However, they must all be taken with a grain of salt. If they are new cruiserts, forget the review. if they only sailed on a few ships. Forget the review. most of the time the review is not about the cruise but there own expectations on what they wanted. Those that have a lot of cruises under their belt and are able to compare other ships and  cruise lines are the most accurate of reviews. I have reviewed a few. over 70 cruises and i do a review on either a terrible cruise or a great cruise. Especially if we have cruised on the same ship before. If the 5 stars are about the same as 3 stars for the reviews. There is usually a problem with that ship. If the one and two stars are about the same a 3 stars. That is not a good either. Ships that come out on top usually have the vast majority of reviews as 4 and 5 stars. Again. Keep in mind the person giving the review and the experience they have.