Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

DGHOC....if you wouldn't mind posting any pictures of when water came into the dining room, I'd love to have that. I've been trying to compile as many pictures as I can to supplement my own. Thanks....

And, yeah, it's the old "whisper down the wire" thing as to how a relayed story gradually mutates! Just like how the caught fish always gets bigger with each retelling....

DGHOC....if you wouldn't mind posting any pictures of when water came into the dining room, I'd love to have that. I've been trying to compile as many pictures as I can to supplement my own. Thanks....

And, yeah, it's the old "whisper down the wire" thing as to how a relayed story gradually mutates! Just like how the caught fish always gets bigger with each retelling....

There were some vids linked early in this thread which showed water sloshing around the restaurant. Likely posted while you were still on the ship.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Edit: At first some were skeptical that they were real.

18 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Was it a bad idea to use the dining room for a muster station in high waves?  Will they do it again?

In the short term, at least, they will continue to use this space, since they need to get regulatory approval for a new muster location, and print up all new signage and documentation.

• Like 1

Viking Sky Update

All scheduled sailings for the Viking Sky will be operating as planned from April 6.

From the web site - good news as I am on this cruise.

The ship is still at Vestbase, Kristiansund where it arrived on Wednesday 22nd March so it should be due to leave shortly for Copenhagen.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LongRiver said:

Viking Sky Update

All scheduled sailings for the Viking Sky will be operating as planned from April 6.

The ship is still at Vestbase, Kristiansund where it arrived on Wednesday 22nd March so it should be due to leave shortly for Copenhagen.

Here is the link: https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html

Good news for you, and have a great cruise!

46 minutes ago, LongRiver said:

Viking Sky Update

She needs to get underway on the afternoon of the 4th to make Copenhagen early on the 6th.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And clean up/dusting can be done during the 40 hour transit.

Still a bit concerned that they are rushing this to get us on ship for sat. Would have preferred they take another week to fix everything. I think it becomes a money issue for them

We leave tomorrow for Copenhagen . Hope to see a lot of the sights before we transfer to ship on sat.

• Like 1

Can't imagine how many dishes, glasses, etc. needed to be brought onboard to replace those that were broken. Bon Voyage to all on the 4/6 voyage!!  Be interesting to know if a new (or at least repaired) piano is in the Explorer Lounge. Have to check out that roll call for updates on how things go. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:09 PM, Bubbalikesme said:

The latest news from Norway about Viking Sky:

In a statement today from The Norwegian Martime Authority, it says that they are notified that Viking Sky is planning to sail from the Norwegian city Kristiansund to Copenhagen on Wednesday, and put into ordinary traffic from there. The statement also says that they are on board together with a Class Company to follow-up the improvements that have now been completed/impmplemented. 

In addition the NMA inform that the dialouge with the Class Company and the Cruise Line has been good through this demanding process, and that they see no reason why the Class Company cannot approve Viking Sky for further sailing.  

11 minutes ago, Bubbalikesme said:

Still a bit concerned that they are rushing this to get us on ship for sat. Would have preferred they take another week to fix everything. I think it becomes a money issue for them

We leave tomorrow for Copenhagen . Hope to see a lot of the sights before we transfer to ship on sat.

Not sure that everything won't be fixed.  Mostly cosmetic repairs, the real time cruncher are the tempered glass windows for the restaurant, and possibly the sprung watertight door.  May have some "mixed" decor (unmatched chairs, things like that) as they take what is available.

• Like 3

My post - 4th from bottom on page 59 - re: MSN & Viking Sky "...some passengers were sucked into the ocean as the wave receded..."

I made this post last night just  before our library was to close.  After posting, I printed out the MSN page with the above quote.  At that time I learned that it was a Asheville NC Citizen-Times story. Per the story, two Asheville resident couples (the Umbergers and the Barkus's) were on the cruise and, I assume, were probably the main source of the comments.

Only the Barkus's were in the dining room muster station site. ( the Umbergers were in the forward theater muster station)  "Bruce Barkus said the couple isn't yet ready to discuss their harrowing experience - ' its all still too  raw' ".  Per the account - "But he (I presume Mr. Barkus) gave permission to his cruise companion Winslow Umberger to provide an outline of what the Barkuses lived through, according to conversations they shared about the experience."

I choose to assume that passengers in the dining were sucked around by ocean water as the wave receded, but were not sucked into the ocean outside the ship.

I am sorry for not making clear the original news outlet for this account in my original quote.   Perhaps Viking knows if any furnishings were sucked out of the dining room into the ocean and lost, but I still have not seen any report of people, crew or passengers being sucked, or swept, into the ocean.

Viking Sky just leaving Vestbase, Kristiansund for Copenhagen arriving on Friday.  Has taken less than 8 days in port.  We have been informed that a handful of minor cosmetic repairs are outstanding and work will likely continue while we are on board. 

On 4/1/2019 at 12:21 PM, capriccio said:

A thread on the River Cruise forum contains the text of German and Dutch reports about the accident.  Note that Viking says no passengers were injured; the other reports say multiple injuries (4 passengers) but only one crewman taken to the hospital..

A picture of the damaged Irun is now on the river cruise thread plus an article in English that has more information and a picture of the damaged tanker.

On 4/2/2019 at 2:46 PM, UDSpud said:

My post - 4th from bottom on page 59 - re: MSN & Viking Sky "...some passengers were sucked into the ocean as the wave receded..."

I made this post last night just  before our library was to close.  After posting, I printed out the MSN page with the above quote.  At that time I learned that it was a Asheville NC Citizen-Times story. Per the story, two Asheville resident couples (the Umbergers and the Barkus's) were on the cruise and, I assume, were probably the main source of the comments.

Only the Barkus's were in the dining room muster station site. ( the Umbergers were in the forward theater muster station)  "Bruce Barkus said the couple isn't yet ready to discuss their harrowing experience - ' its all still too  raw' ".  Per the account - "But he (I presume Mr. Barkus) gave permission to his cruise companion Winslow Umberger to provide an outline of what the Barkuses lived through, according to conversations they shared about the experience."

I choose to assume that passengers in the dining were sucked around by ocean water as the wave receded, but were not sucked into the ocean outside the ship.

I am sorry for not making clear the original news outlet for this account in my original quote.   Perhaps Viking knows if any furnishings were sucked out of the dining room into the ocean and lost, but I still have not seen any report of people, crew or passengers being sucked, or swept, into the ocean.

Our muster station was in the dining room, but not near the part where the water came in. Heard some screaming, but don't know much more about it, other than that some people were quite submerged for a time. Can't imagine then being in soggy clothes for the next who-knows-how-many-hours. If air lifted, those folks would not have had a chance to change until they got to one of the hotels, and if staying onboard, people had to keep their life vests on for nearly the next 24 hours. Noone was lost, but can't speak to the furnishings.

Does anyone have an update on those who were hospitalized?  

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

For those who've mentioned concern about the clean up efforts taking time, it should be mentioned that they have a crew of 300+ service staff who aren't servicing passengers, and as such will be doing all of the sweeping, polishing, tidying, etc. so even with all the broken dishes, etc i'm sure that number of people working 24hrs a day would make short work of the mess...

• Like 1

Joining the Sky tomorrow and I agree with Captain Morgan.  If you think how well the rooms and ship are maintained when we are on board, without passengers and everyone getting involved I have no doubt everything we be fine.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2019 at 11:26 AM, Bubbalikesme said:

I hope you will be able to post your assessment of how well the ship was repaired.

Thanks,

Jack

13 hours ago, LongRiver said:

Joining the Sky tomorrow and I agree with Captain Morgan.  If you think how well the rooms and ship are maintained when we are on board, without passengers and everyone getting involved I have no doubt everything we be fine.  

I hope you will be able to post an assessment.

Thanks

Jack