'Getting the most out of your cruise fare'

Velvetwater

4 minutes ago, jwcruise1 said:

Yes, old southern. She was the only one I ever heard say it so it may have just been hers.

Of course until I was about 30 I was 6'3" (still am) but weighed around 160 lbs and ate like it was my last meal.

I did some googling.  Poor = skinny.  So too "skinny to carry all that food".  Makes sense!  Haha

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I did some googling.  Poor = skinny.  So too "skinny to carry all that food".  Makes sense!  Haha

To be precise , carrying the weight of all that food is what made me skinny.

It does make sense because now I don't eat near as much but weigh a lot more. Maybe I need to start eating more again?🙂

Just now, jwcruise1 said:

To be precise , carrying the weight of all that food is what made me skinny.

It does make sense because now I don't eat near as much but weigh a lot more. Maybe I need to start eating more again?🙂

Aw, I get it.   Eat more to weigh less.  I like that!  :classic_biggrin:

4 hours ago, jwcruise1 said:

Yes, old southern. She was the only one I ever heard say it so it may have just been hers.

Of course until I was about 30 I was 6'3" (still am) but weighed around 160 lbs and ate like it was my last meal.

Becoming older slows the metabolism and as such the body starts to retain more reserves. If you don't eat less or exercise more, something is going to give.

We were talking to a chef of the buffet once, who said that the first three days of a cruise, many people just ate and ate... by the 4th and 5th days they'd realised that there would always be food for them and started eating less, and a few days after that were seeking out salads and even missing meals.

We usually miss lunch on longer cruises, although we might have afternoon tea...:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:06 AM, sanger727 said:

Eh, I don’t agree with this. Buffet’s are all you can eat and first come first serve. I don’t begrudge anyone who takes what they want as long as they eat what they take and not just take to take and throw half the plate out. 

Now, I’ll admit, my favorite item at the Chinese buffet is the green beans and I’ll line up and pile my plate high when they bring out a fresh pan, but for some reason, no one else bee lines to the green beans. 

I agree... and I also love the green beans.

On 3/30/2019 at 6:37 PM, A2Mich said:

As much as I enjoy eating lobster, I would never eat more than 2 tails, myself.  But, 6 tails plus a steak? 🤮

on our Allure cruise last week the lobster tail was the size of my thumb (I mean the actual meat part). I kid you not.  It was hardly bigger than a jumbo shrimp. I got two bites out of it.

• Haha 1

On 4/1/2019 at 4:34 PM, MicCanberra said:

Becoming older slows the metabolism and as such the body starts to retain more reserves. If you don't eat less or exercise more, something is going to give.

I agree with you in general. But it's also genetic.... My MIL at almost 70 has a figure I had when I was 15. She hasn't worked out a single time in her entire life and has always eaten the same amount. She loves rice and fried potatoes.  My DH takes after her. Her other son takes after their father - he eats green beans, broccoli, salads and salmon every day, no carbs, works out every day and is still rather chubby (has always been for the last 20 years I've known him).

My mom is still size 6 at almost 70. She takes after her dad, and so does her brother. I too take after my dad, but he has no skinny genes in his line. Admittedly, I don't work out, but neither does my DH, my mom or my MIL.

I know plenty of skinny people in their 50s and 60s, who don't work out at all.

8 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I agree with you in general. But it's also genetic.... My MIL at almost 70 has a figure I had when I was 15. She hasn't worked out a single time in her entire life and has always eaten the same amount. She loves rice and fried potatoes.  My DH takes after her. Her other son takes after their father - he eats green beans, broccoli, salads and salmon every day, no carbs, works out every day and is still rather chubby (has always been for the last 20 years I've known him).

My mom is still size 6 at almost 70. She takes after her dad, and so does her brother. I too take after my dad, but he has no skinny genes in his line. Admittedly, I don't work out, but neither does my DH, my mom or my MIL.

I know plenty of skinny people in their 50s and 60s, who don't work out at all.

Genetics is the biggest thing it is something you cannot change but need to cater for.

On 3/31/2019 at 11:31 AM, MicCanberra said:

Exactly, I was able to eat fantastic loads of food when I was young (15-25), so much so some people called me a Greyhound. Now I eat maybe 1/4 of that and am more like a Labrador.

I’m getting more like a schnauzer every day, as our beards get more alike, just mine Schnauzer is a Mini, something I’ve never been accused of.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 1:54 PM, iancal said:

I believe that some people think that eating the most on your cruise is the same as getting the most out of our cruise fare.  We find this to be a very odd approach to maximizing one's cruise enjoyment.  There are so many other variables.  Why focus on this?

When it comes to food one of our main  considerations is  quality vs quantity  from ingredients to prep to plating.  Quantity means nothing to us if the quality is mediocre.

Agreed - much better to spend your time getting the most out of your beverage package 😎

• Like 1