'Getting the most out of your cruise fare'

Velvetwater

Yes lots of people love to get their money's worth.... there are plenty of threads where people share their tips for fugal / money saving cruise tips. example: Some of our ways to save or befrugal to enjoy more or longer cruises!!!

In fact there is a board for it:

Saving Money on Your Cruise - Tips & Advice

13 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

....my DH (who is skinny, by the way) loves bacon and will take and eat 10 strips. ...

Good that he eats them but 10 strips is why some lines established "Bacon Police".

14 hours ago, sanger727 said:

... They bring crab legs out every so often and when they do there’s always a line up at the station and people walk away with their plates piled high with crab legs. Whatever floats your boat.  They run out immediately but they manage their inventory costs by only doing so many pans a day... There’s always food to go around, even if they run out of one item...

About dozen or so able-bodied people will dash over and empty the crab leg pan.  Mobility impared people won't stand a chance.  But hey, there's plenty of food so they willl just have to select something else.

Women and children last?   Doesn't sound like a very civil or pleasant experience to me.  

I believe that some people think that eating the most on your cruise is the same as getting the most out of our cruise fare.  We find this to be a very odd approach to maximizing one's cruise enjoyment.  There are so many other variables.  Why focus on this?

When it comes to food one of our main  considerations is  quality vs quantity  from ingredients to prep to plating.  Quantity means nothing to us if the quality is mediocre.

Edited by iancal

1 hour ago, iancal said:

When it comes to food one of our main  considerations is  quality vs quantity  from ingredients to prep to plating.  Quantity means nothing to us if the quality is mediocre.

well, of course, I am not going to stuff myself silly with mediocre food.

Like Anton Ego says: "I don't like food. I LOVE it. If I don't LOVE it, I don't swallow."

The "Bacon Police" were welcomed by many of us who sometimes cruise on Carnival.

Just getting two strips of bacon ourselves was almost impossible.  

The bacon would be so stuck together we'd end up with a clump for bacon.

Having it served to us was so much nicer.  They would serve you as much or as little bacon as you wished ... but not all clumped together.  :classic_smile:

On 3/27/2019 at 5:54 PM, iancal said:

I believe that some people think that eating the most on your cruise is the same as getting the most out of our cruise fare.  We find this to be a very odd approach to maximizing one's cruise enjoyment.  There are so many other variables.  Why focus on this?

My original post focussed on other things but I think the food thing has gathered more steam.

On 3/24/2019 at 3:49 PM, iancal said:

Some of them are so big they look like they might explode.  I guess that they have never heard about the law of diminishing returns!

On 3/25/2019 at 8:58 AM, navybankerteacher said:

While you can run into grossly overweight people everywhere, there seems to be a far higher percentage on cruise ships.  Perhaps it is because they find cruising the easiest way to travel, but I am inclined to think the unlimited food tends to attract obsessive eaters.

On 3/26/2019 at 2:10 PM, evandbob said:

A casual people watcher on Carnival will see 7 obese passengers out of every 10 guests that pass them by.

I came back to this thread hoping for a little light, fun reading a topic that should have been so, only to discover that it devolved into a fat-shaming forum.  Shame on you all.  Not everyone is a "person of size" because they are gluttonous and not every "person of size" lines up at the buffet to stuff themselves night and day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Schoifmom said:

I came back to this thread hoping for a little light, fun reading a topic that should have been so, only to discover that it devolved into a fat-shaming forum.  Shame on you all.  Not everyone is a "person of size" because they are gluttonous and not every "person of size" lines up at the buffet to stuff themselves night and day.

Of course, not everyone of any demographic is part of a one size fits all (yes, intended!), but all of us have seen persons of size at the buffet putting massive quantities of food on plates. I refuse to be shamed by complaining about all the "fat" people you see today as it's costing me in health care costs. Actually, single payer might be the answer ultimately as they will ration care to the obese and those people will die off. Harsh? Perhaps, but probably true.

12 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Of course, not everyone of any demographic is part of a one size fits all (yes, intended!), but all of us have seen persons of size at the buffet putting massive quantities of food on plates. I refuse to be shamed by complaining about all the "fat" people you see today as it's costing me in health care costs. Actually, single payer might be the answer ultimately as they will ration care to the obese and those people will die off. Harsh? Perhaps, but probably true.

And all of us have seen persons of the fit and thin size putting massive quantities of food on plates.  Let's talk about that for a minute.  Is the objection the massive amounts of food about to be consumed by ANYONE along with the potential waste of the food left on the plates, or is it about the size of the person with that plate?  Harsh?  

BTW, a person of size can be absolutely healthy and simply larger, or a person of size can be of that size due to a medical condition.  Making judgments based on appearances is never the best way to go.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

And all of us have seen persons of the fit and thin size putting massive quantities of food on plates.  Let's talk about that for a minute.  Is the objection the massive amounts of food about to be consumed by ANYONE along with the potential waste of the food left on the plates, or is it about the size of the person with that plate?  Harsh?  

BTW, a person of size can be absolutely healthy and simply larger, or a person of size can be of that size due to a medical condition.  Making judgments based on appearances is never the best way to go.

What percentage of the population was over weight or obese 50 years ago and what is it today? Genetics hasn't had enough time to evolve much in 50 years. Eating habits have. You can make "excuses" til the cows come home. I'm dealing in facts. This is all I have to say on this topic.

6 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

... Is the objection the massive amounts of food about to be consumed by ANYONE along with the potential waste of the food left on the plates, or is it about the size of the person with that plate? ...

Can't speak for others, but for me it's the former.  The weight of the diner has nothing to do with it but their behavior does.  Excess by a handful of people limits choices for others.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On March 25, 2019 at 8:58 AM, navybankerteacher said:

While you can run into grossly overweight people everywhere, there seems to be a far higher percentage on cruise ships.  Perhaps it is because they find cruising the easiest way to travel, but I am inclined to think the unlimited food tends to attract obsessive eaters.

People who are obese, love to drink alcohol and smoke non stop .All 3 can lead to serious illness.More of these people seem to cruise than ever.

Had a buffet brunch on Navigator of the Seas, a couple went back for lobster tails (Cold) several times, each time with about 5 each and would have had around 30 between them. Everyone else at the table was not only astounded at how much they ate but more so at the boasting about it. Neither was what I would consider a large person let alone obese.

On 3/26/2019 at 10:21 PM, DirtyDawg said:

I'm sorry, but this CEO lost her job because of her own stupidity.  

Can you imagine the CEO of Cadillac ever offering an "endless Escalade" promotion? 😲

I’ve been ro a few places offering all you can eat ..... (pick your item) but they seem to have been smart enough to price it to make a profit, a bit like all you can drink packages on cruises, they price it to make a profit.

9 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I’ve been ro a few places offering all you can eat ..... (pick your item) but they seem to have been smart enough to price it to make a profit, a bit like all you can drink packages on cruises, they price it to make a profit.

The mistake is not in the concept but the implementation and pricing.

20 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

People who are obese, love to drink alcohol and smoke non stop .All 3 can lead to serious illness.More of these people seem to cruise than ever.

That isn’t about the grossest over generalization, and one of the most offensive, I have ever seen. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

That isn’t about the grossest over generalization, and one of the most offensive, I have ever seen. 

Well if it isn’t you’ve come across some gross ones.

Are you saying that drinking alcohol to excess and non stop smoking is healthy ?

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

Are you saying that drinking alcohol to excess and non stop smoking is healthy ?

No. You said that everyone who is obese enough loves to drink to excess and smoke non-stop. Simple to disprove that offensive over-generalization, isn’t it?  😣

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

No. You said that everyone who is obese enough loves to drink to excess and smoke non-stop. Simple to disprove that offensive over-generalization, isn’t it?  😣

That is not what I said,look at my commas. I said that there are people who cruise who are compulsive eaters,drinkers  AND OR smokers.

22 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

That is not what I said,look at my commas. I said that there are people who cruise who are compulsive eaters,drinkers  AND OR smokers.

Maybe you should look at your comments.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 6:56 PM, voyager70 said:

I'm not a big eater and it amazes me how much some people eat on cruises.  On my recent Liberty of the Seas cruise I overheard a man say he ordered six lobster tails as well as a steak one night.  I couldn't eat that much over two days, but good for him if that's what he enjoys.  Getting the most for your money means different things for all of us.  Just put me on a ship in the open sea and I'm happy.

As much as I enjoy eating lobster, I would never eat more than 2 tails, myself.  But, 6 tails plus a steak? 🤮

On 3/27/2019 at 2:53 PM, OCruisers said:

The "Bacon Police" were welcomed by many of us who sometimes cruise on Carnival.

Just getting two strips of bacon ourselves was almost impossible.  

The bacon would be so stuck together we'd end up with a clump for bacon.

Having it served to us was so much nicer.  They would serve you as much or as little bacon as you wished ... but not all clumped together.  :classic_smile:

Maybe I’m crazy, but I prefer the crispy bacon from the bottom of the pan that is clumped together.  That said, I also won’t waste bacon....I might grab 10 strips of bacon, but it won’t go to waste! 😉