Submitting a picture before you board

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

We also were requested for a photo for our cruise on Infinityin 3 weeks.   Was very easy to upload.   I've heard that if you don't upload you will have no problem and they will shoot your picture at checkin.    The pictures are being used for the new Facial Recognition embarkation/disembarkation and will ultimately speed up the process.

When I did ours, there was no request for it

We do have global entry --though since this is for Celebrity I wonder why it didn't ask us??

1 hour ago, jkgourmet said:

I you use the Celebrity App to complete check in, it DOES ask you to take a selfie using the app.  It's frankly a PITA and the app keeps crashing.  Another not ready for prime time idea from the crack Celebrity IT team. 

And, since the app doesn't do much of anything on the Millenium (texting between passengers doesn't work yet),  I don't think there's any point to having the app on my phone. 

We had trouble with the "photo request" feature prior to our Reflection sailing in November.

Eventually we got it to work but it required multiple tries. Glitchy, freezing, not accepting pics... I actually do think I posted about it here as well.

For some reason for us we could not access all features (please don't ask which ones, I can't recall now!) if we did not have pics uploaded.

We did find the online app useful for the daily schedule and to some extent menus/dining times.  Not a dealbreaker though. I often leave my phone in my room.

• Like 1

RCI has been using passenger-uploaded security photos for years, at least on the Quantum-class ships (and I presume all the newer big ships).  If you haven't uploaded your own, or for some reason it's not acceptable, the check-in person will take your photo at the pier, just as they do now under the "old" system.  It's the photo that will be in the ship's system and linked to your sea pass card, to recognize you when you get on and off the ship, etc.    

2 hours ago, OceanCruise said:

For our recent check in paperwork for the Edge we were asked to upload a picture which we did. However, at the terminal check in they told us it both of our pictures were not adequate so they snapped new ones which only took a few seconds.

Curious as to what was unacceptable about the pictures you uploaded.    I just shot some pictures of us against a white wall.   Our faces cover most of the space of the oval.

When I did our on line check in for Summit in May it asked for a picture to be uploaded.  I called Captains Club and they said I didn't have to do it.  It's just to expedite the pier check in.  I continued the online check in without the picture and had no problem.

We did not submit the photo or scan in our passports for EDGE ahead of time.

,After entering and going upstairs in the new no frills non suite portion of the    terminal, someone comes along in the random hodge podge,...,takes a quick  pic etc and sends you in your way.... goes fast but not very orderly,

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

When I did ours, there was no request for it

We do have global entry --though since this is for Celebrity I wonder why it didn't ask us??

1 hour ago, Cruise it or lose it said:

Global entry may be the key...I looked it up and  just don't travel enough to do it.

I have Global Entry and I had to submit the photos at check-in.  I will be sailing on the Reflection in May.  

4 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Never seen this before. 
Have done the online checkin and it did not ask for a pic

Do you have a passport # etc in your online docs and so on?

You have to produce a verifiable ID with pic--normally a passport

We're on the Reflection in May,  my check in did ask for a photo, but I skipped it.  I was still able to get both our express passes on the app on my phone.  

36 minutes ago, zestyzorra said:

I have Global Entry and I had to submit the photos at check-in.  I will be sailing on the Reflection in May.  

Indeed, as your experience shows, it has nothing to do with Global Entry.  It’s just the slightly faster way for the ship to have your photo to link to your sea pass card before you board.

I uploaded a photo for our Edge cruise in May and thought it would appear on the app but it's not there.  Also, thought it might be on my Express Pass but not there either.  It's only on the Celebrity site.  Am I missing something?

8 hours ago, caroak said:

I uploaded a photo for our Edge cruise in May and thought it would appear on the app but it's not there.  Also, thought it might be on my Express Pass but not there either.  It's only on the Celebrity site.  Am I missing something?

My picture did not show up on my Express Pass and I.m pretty sure it was on the app either, just the X check in.

30 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

My picture did not show up on my Express Pass and I.m pretty sure it was on the app either, just the X check in.

Edit: I'm pretty sure my picture was not on my app Xpress Pass (the pass itself) - I'm sure it wasn't on my printed Xpress Pass because I still have a copy.

I am assuming when they scan the app or paper Xpress pass, the uploaded picture appears.

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Curious as to what was unacceptable about the pictures you uploaded.    I just shot some pictures of us against a white wall.   Our faces cover most of the space of the oval.

They didn't explain why our pictures were unacceptable (it went so fast that there was no time to converse). I took different pictures for our 4 cruises. The first one they didn't like my DH's, but mine was fine. The second time was a B2B - I don't remember what happened there.  In January, when we went to the Retreat for check in, the roving agent said she needed to retake both of our pictures. Looking back on the pictures I uploaded, I think we were facing a light and were squinting too much.

The most interesting experience was the Dec 1 cruise. I had assumed that my face would not be recognized since I had smashed my face up on the prior cruise and had sutures and steri-strips on my forehead and lip, a swollen jaw and some impressive bruises on my nose and forehead. I breezed right through!  Go figure! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

In November, they took our picture at check-in (Equinox).

For our cruise next week (Reflection) they asked us to submit it online. 

Obviously it's tied in to the photo that shows up every time you use your SeaPass card to make sure others aren't using it, or the person coming back from an excursion is the actual passenger. I assume it's to try and speed up the check-in process so fewer people have to get their photos made (it took our clerk 2 or 3 times to get an acceptable one).

4 hours ago, vtcruising said:

They didn't explain why our pictures were unacceptable (it went so fast that there was no time to converse). I took different pictures for our 4 cruises. The first one they didn't like my DH's, but mine was fine. The second time was a B2B - I don't remember what happened there.  In January, when we went to the Retreat for check in, the roving agent said she needed to retake both of our pictures. Looking back on the pictures I uploaded, I think we were facing a light and were squinting too much.

The most interesting experience was the Dec 1 cruise. I had assumed that my face would not be recognized since I had smashed my face up on the prior cruise and had sutures and steri-strips on my forehead and lip, a swollen jaw and some impressive bruises on my nose and forehead. I breezed right through!  Go figure! 🙂

Oh dear.   I do remember reading of you unfortunate accident.   I hope you recovered well. 

It will be interesting to see how the pictures work.   Mine pretty much covers my chin to top of head while Iain's I must have been too close and his face fills the circle completely.   Didn't see any way to scale the picture.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Oh dear.   I do remember reading of you unfortunate accident.   I hope you recovered well. 

It will be interesting to see how the pictures work.   Mine pretty much covers my chin to top of head while Iain's I must have been too close and his face fills the circle completely.   Didn't see any way to scale the picture

I know - it is hard to get the head to fit properly. It all has to do with how close you are, as you suspected. I repeated mine a few times. That's why I had to laugh when my DH's didn't work and we were sent to different lines so that he could get a picture - he joined me about 30 seconds later - so such much for me taking the time to get the perfect picture. 🙂

Yes, thanks, my scars are fading (thanks to a great MD onboard and  hcat's recommendation of Mederma), but still a daily reminder of my time on the Edge. 🙂

6 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I know - it is hard to get the head to fit properly. It all has to do with how close you are, as you suspected. I repeated mine a few times. That's why I had to laugh when my DH's didn't work and we were sent to different lines so that he could get a picture - he joined me about 30 seconds later - so such much for me taking the time to get the perfect picture. 🙂

Yes, thanks, my scars are fading (thanks to a great MD onboard and  hcat's recommendation of Mederma), but still a daily reminder of my time on the Edge. 🙂

Vt .

Glad you are healing and scars fading...dh still using it.  Sunscreen version  was needed in Fla...but  he will continue  with it in NY...He is making progress and wears a golf  hat in the sun. He will look great in the next round of EDGE pics..you will too!

• Like 1