LIVE From The Flower Power Cruise: Peace, Love & Rock & Roll On The Infinity

vtcruising

57 minutes ago, hcat said:

We are in NY.. Spring is very  slowly evolving!  We have a plumbing issue to  resolve this yr  so our front lawn and plantings  may be quite  dug  up...just when it was all  perfect...ha ha!

Back to Fl in June for a bit.  Next xruise is EDGE ABC in Nov...then after that Summit May 2020..then APEX...

Looking forward to your full review..

Sorry about the plumbing issue, but hope it will be all fixed before your next adventure! 🙂

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

Funny! Did you have the Newbies too? Both bands were excellent. They want to come back next year. Hope they will be able to.

No , newbies , but had blues brothers were there also there last year. Last year we had the chance to talk to Gerry from America in micheals , micheals was almost empty the entire week.The whole cruise but service was great in Micheals they made sure we had a large glass of wine when we headed for luminae food there was just excellent all week. Was Kate Taylor on your cruise she is James sister and did a couple of songs with Peter Asher.

10 minutes ago, George C said:

No , newbies , but had blues brothers were there also there last year. Last year we had the chance to talk to Gerry from America in micheals , micheals was almost empty the entire week.The whole cruise but service was great in Micheals they made sure we had a large glass of wine when we headed for luminae food there was just excellent all week. Was Kate Taylor on your cruise she is James sister and did a couple of songs with Peter Asher.

No, Kate wasn’t on our cruise but Peter did talk about her. 

Funny that MC was empty. We liked to use it before lining up for the show when we were in a suite. When the line reached MC, it was time to join the line. 🙂

28 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

No, Kate wasn’t on our cruise but Peter did talk about her. 

Funny that MC was empty. We liked to use it before lining up for the show when we were in a suite. When the line reached MC, it was time to join the line. 🙂

We did same thing last week, what a shame only piano on ship is in micheals and nobody ever plays it,  just once on our cruise some musician played it have no idea who he was but he was really good. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, George C said:

We did same thing last week, what a shame only piano on ship is in micheals and nobody ever plays it,  just once on our cruise some musician played it have no idea who he was but he was really good. 

Last year there was a piano in Rendezvous Vous on the Summit. My DH was in there one night after a show and one of the musicians was wandering by and stopped and sat at the piano. He started playing Elton John songs and people gathered around and had an impromptu show. 😀

• Like 3

The Cheech and Chong show was hilarious! The show was a mix of vintage Cheech and Chong, some new material and some just chatting about life. Tommy’s wife starts the show and is gorgeous and very funny! 

864971CF-8491-4050-81A3-8CFC8D1607C4.thumb.jpeg.f72805f2b75da632bf60021be96571be.jpeg

The funniest part for us was a skit where Cheech was a “Doober” driver, with Chong as his customer. We laughed until it hurt!!😀

C80C3624-2636-48AB-A41E-BA7E8179E381.thumb.jpeg.7ab23f2bdb970eff78ee682b8a434475.jpeg

There were other great skits and music:

F87AD26F-44C1-438B-8876-222F70BAF320.thumb.jpeg.a2636df8ad7fdeccd997e7941d6c99a1.jpeg

9F976C55-257B-49A1-A447-B0F7ED21806B.thumb.jpeg.af4f4338319b7d6547943d9ab8a7e106.jpeg

933796B7-CA61-47F7-818D-4A19C1810607.thumb.jpeg.d9878539d072e21b49647c7c2443d542.jpeg

Tommy told the story of how he was part of a Motown band way back when and sang and played the guitar- he was really good. He also talked about his battle with colorectal cancer and his jail time. He’s a very interesting guy! They both are extremely talented. 

The Silver group had their show on Thurs night and some were not prepared for the vintage Cheech and Chong so walked out and let the FPC people know about their displeasure. They made an announcement Friday morning for the Gold group (us), warning us that the show was not PG-13 and that they might not want to attend if were offended by racy material. No one walked out from our group that I could see. It went beyond even what I was expecting, but the 4 of us giggled all through dinner about some of the jokes. Of course, Fernando helped, with his policy of full wine glasses at all times!!😉

• Like 3

We had lunch at Sushi on 5 almost every day. It was so good and Charlie and Grober took good care of us! Charlie brought us a complimentary dessert one day - Mochi ice cream - wow!! It was strawberry, green tea and mango ice cream with a gelatin-like coating in a matching sauce. Soooo good, especially the mango!!

04E66083-BB14-49D0-B791-3234E09BCDD8.thumb.jpeg.f5cbfe3629613069ef6187f68412d7df.jpeg

• Like 3

We also loved the Deconstructing Abby Road lecture. Scott Freiman is a Beatles expert and takes their albums and shows how they were put together track by track and has some of the actual early track recordings and changes made and why. It is fascinatingly to see how the songs were put together and was amazing to hear the back stories.

One example of a back story was about John and Yoko having an accident just before working on Abby Road. Yoko was pretty banged up so they brought a bed into the studio and put it in the corner with a mike above it so she could watch and make comments. The studio crew said that now they had seen everything.

EA0B6EE1-69F5-48D4-9CC2-B5E21437DEC1.thumb.jpeg.bd0b71a908a4cd5ca8859640b30631f7.jpeg

Every time I go to one of his lectures, I gain more of an appreciation for what geniuses these guys were and appreciate their songs more. I could listen to him all day!

1ABF7E56-B141-430E-858E-B7B1BFB660C2.thumb.jpeg.5bbb722e572de3a2a8eeecb5512ba678.jpeg

ACFAD4FC-F30E-4D05-80A3-18B4DABB2B44.thumb.jpeg.61aa544a3e9b4b780125aae09ff5bc3d.jpeg

3CFEB002-76CE-422D-AECD-29561B11D43C.thumb.jpeg.4d5588151e4ca248194a62200becd753.jpeg

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blood, Sweat and Tears was an excellent band - the brass was amazing and they certainly showcased it. Unfortunately, they did some new stuff at the beginning and some people walked out. Too bad because they missed a great show and all the oldies were in the second half of the show.

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 3

One of the really fun events is the guest talent show called The Going Going Gong Show. Cheech and Chong and their wives and the hilarious Joel Mason were the judges. 

There were 14 acts - some were excellent, others gonged right away. There were baton twirlers, comedians, crooners, Cheech and Chong look alikes and even Dr Proctor, who came out in a lab coat and socks and sang about a colonoscopy. One woman sang a very poignant song about her husband and when the host asked her to point him out, she said she had left him at home. One woman on a scooter had her oxygen tank in tow while belting out her love song. Another woman sang her song really well for the first few bars and then got pitchy and forgot the lines - the audience started singing the words and got her back on track and she finished beautifully. It was such fun, with the judges adding to the hilarity. My DH and I are planning our act for next year. 😉

13C32A57-BD4E-4BDA-A375-EA39A8DCFB6C.thumb.jpeg.2ae3dec09532da5bec87b02c1097338d.jpeg

A732A7FB-55C5-4881-821D-8A85DBB5F262.thumb.jpeg.ff07b5a181deba7111518af84ab0a60d.jpeg

• Like 2

Got an e-mail today stating that this cruise, for next year,  will go on sale Wednesday for the people who preregistered on their website. We were issued a code that will allow us to do so. If there are any left, they will be available to the general public on Thursday

12 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Got an e-mail today stating that this cruise, for next year,  will go on sale Wednesday for the people who preregistered on their website. We were issued a code that will allow us to do so. If there are any left, they will be available to the general public on Thursday

The waiting list is long so my strategy would be to:

-go on the website before it opens and be ready to go with all info (credit card, type of payment plan, cabin choices, early show/late dining or late show/early dining choice, if there is a choice)

-log in when open and get info in and hit the confirm button (or whatever the button is called) ASAP

-have their number to call, if you have issues - they are very nice

Good luck!!  🙂  I am pretty sure there will not be any left on Thursday.....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

-go on the website before it opens and be ready to go with all info (credit card, type of payment plan, cabin choices, early show/late dining or late show/early dining choice, if there is a choice)

-log in when open and get info in and hit the confirm button (or whatever the button is called) ASAP

That is my strategy. Great minds must think alike.

36 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Thank you for so much enjoyment!

I quoted you because you reminded me of how I got my daughter her princess breakfast at Disney World. A pain, but got it done.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

Got same email but we are booked on rock and romance wish they were back to back like last couple of years. Also sure there will be no suites left . 

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

LOL! Hope to see you onboard next year!! 😎

We can only hope.

If we are fortunate enough to get on this cruise, we'll also book the five day one after it. We'll need the time to recover after seven days of singing along to the music of our youth, and have to keep the vocal cords lubed so we can do such.

3 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

We can only hope.

If we are fortunate enough to get on this cruise, we'll also book the five day one after it. We'll need the time to recover after seven days of singing along to the music of our youth, and have to keep the vocal cords lubed so we can do such.

Yes, you will definitely need time to recover. For us, we are probably doing better at home - away from the lovely rich food and Fernando, the wine pusher!  😉

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, George C said:

Got same email but we are booked on rock and romance wish they were back to back like last couple of years. Also sure there will be no suites left . 

I was surprised that they weren't B2B. We must have had at least 100 people who were B2B from the R&R cruise. Jason had them raise their hands one night.

Wonder what groups will be added to both cruises would have booked flower power if I had know about Cheech and Chong , by the way I saw blood sweat and tears about 50 years ago at Fillmore east in nyc. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, George C said:

Wonder what groups will be added to both cruises would have booked flower power if I had know about Cheech and Chong , by the way I saw blood sweat and tears about 50 years ago at Fillmore east in nyc. 

I hope they get Cheech and Chong again but won't hold my breath for next year. They were totally amazing, but I'm sure there were a lot of complaints from those who were not into R rated material. 

BST was on the first FPC and had Bo Bice as the lead (we had watched him on American Idol) - he was so good - the new young guy this year was a good singer and guitar player, but didn't have the rock star charisma that Bo has. They have a solid band though - we will be seeing them at the Woodstock 50th anniversary in August (playing with Ringo Starr and his All Star Band). 🙂

It must have been cool to see BST back in the day!

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I hope they get Cheech and Chong again but won't hold my breath for next year. They were totally amazing, but I'm sure there were a lot of complaints from those who were not into R rated material. 

I can’t believe people were so upset by Cheech & Chong’s material! Seriously, the early 60s to early 70s were hardly PG. I wish I could have seen their show, fully fueled by Fernando, of course😈

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1